NY NY - The Alphabet Killings, Rochester

Xorom

Reaction score
Pretty much everyone in LE chalked it up to coincidence.

I remember reading somewhere that when WW disappeared, LE guessed that the place she would be found would be Webster. If true, that means that a possible pattern was apparent to LE already before all the details of the second murder was known to them. It is possible that the perp(s) or different perps chose victims with double initials by change and then moved them to locations with the same initial to fit the pattern when he/they discovered that the victim fitted this pattern.

Xorom

Reaction score
I also remember reading someplace that Wanda Walkowicz's grave was regularly attended to for fifteen years by someone unknown to her family. Is this true? If so, does anyone know if this lead was followed?

Xorom

Reaction score
You know, back in the 70's, the Catholic community may have been much closer,

Good thinking. Could it possibly be the case that the victims, because of some oftheir similarities easier fell prey to the particular MO used by perp(s)?

tilomagnet

Reaction score
I just finished reading Nightmare in Rochester by Benson/Tubman, which I found to be a very well written and detailed book on this case. Would definately recommend it. A couple thoughts....

- Apparently the only useable DNA to have survived comes from the WW case, which is why there is still a lot of debate whether all 3 cases are actually related

- Over the years many seem to tentatively link the WW & MM cases while the CC case is the one that is often considered separate (with her uncle a prime suspect)

- The DNA recovered from the WW does unfortunately not match known suspects

- Police investigation has been considered solid with an extensive investigation that hasn't zeroed in on a specific theory, no coverups suspected ala OCCK

- One witness of the CC incident on the freeway when she briefly got away from the abductor(s) described a man and a woman (!) in or near the car, with the woman apparently dragging CC back into the car;

- There is a witness for the MM abduction, a girl who got a good look at the abductor when he sped by her with MM in the car; The author made her look at various suspects and apparently there is a strong resemblance to a known rapist who would commit similar abductions later on; His DNA was not a match to the WW DNA;

- The MM abductor was described as scruffy with a run down car, kinda like a "textbook" molester;

marysleuths04

Reaction score
Having recently read Cheri Farnsworth's short but excellent book on the case, I'm very intrigued by the suspect seen with a young girl matching Michelle Maenza's description near where her body was later found. This man was later positively identified by the eyewitness who saw him and his vehicle again and was able to get the plate number to law enforcement. However, he was ruled out via polygraph and it is unclear whether he was also subjected to DNA testing when the technology became available.

Does anyone know more about this man?
I also heard about this. It seems strange that they let him go on a polygraph, since polygraphs just measure your heart rate and they can't ACTUALLY tell if you're lying. Idf the person was very calm, cool, and collected they could lie and still pass the test. And it's obvious that the Alphabet Murderer had absolutely no conscience and likely no remorse about what he did to the girls. This would make it easy to pass a polygraph if you were lying. I would also like to know more about this suspect. Because I don't know how you can clear someone who was seen hiding a little girl behind his back and trying to cover a license plate.

tilomagnet

Reaction score
Many many suspects were "cleared" back in those days via polygraphs....they were basically the DNA of the 70ies....regarded as definitive. Often LE would completely abandon investigation of suspects if they passed the polygraph. The OCCK case is a notorious example.

Detective1

Reaction score
I also heard about this. It seems strange that they let him go on a polygraph, since polygraphs just measure your heart rate and they can't ACTUALLY tell if you're lying. Idf the person was very calm, cool, and collected they could lie and still pass the test. And it's obvious that the Alphabet Murderer had absolutely no conscience and likely no remorse about what he did to the girls. This would make it easy to pass a polygraph if you were lying. I would also like to know more about this suspect. Because I don't know how you can clear someone who was seen hiding a little girl behind his back and trying to cover a license plate.

Marysleuths04
I believe I found Licence Plate man
If you will inbox me
I will tell you who.

tilomagnet

Reaction score
Bump for this fascinating case. Has the above lead been fully investigated and that suspect properly cleared via DNA (as opposed to polygraph)? I mean they did dig up that firefighter Termini guy in the 2000s and he wasn't a match, so they are obviously willing to take costly measures to check those old notorious suspects. Or are they even the same guy?

Hoopsticks

Reaction score
Had anyone heard whether or not Richard William Davis has been looked into heavily for these?