GUILTY NY - Thomas Valva, 8, autistic, killed, NYPD father & fiancee arrested, Suffolk Co, 17 Jan 2020 *arrests*

wonderme12

Reaction score
Father, fiancee arrested in death of 8-year-old Center Moriches boy

CENTER MORICHES, Suffolk County (WABC) -- Suffolk County police arrested the father and the father's fiancee in the death of his 8-year-old son on Long Island.

Thomas Valva was found unresponsive at a home last Friday.

He was pronounced dead at Long Island Community Hospital.

Michael Valva, 40, and his fiancee Angela Pollina, 42, were arrested at their home on Bittersweet Lane in Center Moriches.

They are both facing a charge of second degree murder in Thomas' death.

Circumstances surrounding the child's death remain unclear.

Initially on 1/21/2020:
8-Year-Old Long Island Boy Dies After Fall In Driveway

CENTER MORICHES, N.Y. (WCBS 880) — Police on Long Island are investigating the death of an 8-year-old boy, who died after apparently falling in his driveway.

Authorities say it was reported to them that Thomas Valva fell in the driveway of his father's home in Center Moriches on Friday morning. The child was rushed to the hospital, where he later died.

Autopsy results are pending.

Thomas's parents are going through a bitter divorce and his mother, Justyna Valva, tells WCBS 880's Sophia Hall that she lost custody and has not seen her son or his two brothers for two years.

"Unfortunately, I saw him now just looking at his body in a medical examiner's office," she said. "And I do pray that one day we're just going to meet again in heaven. I know he's in heaven. I know he's my angel and I'm going to miss him so much."

The boy’s father released a statement through his attorney saying, “As with any tragedy, our office and Mr. Valva are shocked and saddened to learn of the horrible accident that took the life of young Thomas. We mourn his death with family and friends. Since Thomas’ parents are in the midst of a divorce, we are unable to make any further comments at this time.”

<modsnip>

Another article which notes the father is NYPD:
NYPD Cop, Fiancee Charged With Murder in Mystery Death of 8-Year-Old Long Island Boy

Last edited by a moderator:
https://nypost.com/2020/01/24/son-o...-after-being-kept-in-garage-overnight-police/

The autistic 8-year-old boy allegedly murdered by his NYPD cop dad and his fiancée died as a result of hypothermia after he was subjected to “freezing temperatures” in the couple’s unheated garage overnight, police officials said Friday.

Michael Valva, 40, a 15-year police veteran, and his fiancée, Angela Pollina, 42, were charged Friday with second-degree murder in the Jan. 17 death of little Thomas Valva “because they engaged in conduct which created a grave risk of death to this child,” Suffolk Police Commissioner Geraldine Hart told reporters during a press conference.

Thomas “was subjected to freezing temperatures” in the “unheated garage” of the couple’s Center Moriches, Long Island, home “overnight” when the temps outside were a bone-chilling 19 degrees, Hart said.

Oh my. I found myself holding my breath as I read the MSM articles -- I wasn't aware of it till I had to take in a big, big breath.
Was he left to sleep on the floor of the garage all night? Was it concrete, i.e., cold? No coat, no blanket (as if), no heat source? Lying on that concrete would defeat his little body's ability to keep warm -- and it probably didn't take too long for him to fall into that big sleep (thank goodness).
And his mom who hadn't seen her children in a couple of years? Maybe her job schedule (working at night perhaps -- she may have had a position that required 3 shifts in a 24-hour period -- if so, that may have made it impossible for her to have shared custody. Of course a LEO would have a similar-type schedule, I would think. Whatever -- doesn't matter now. What I mess. And this darling little human paid the price.
Nineteen freakin' degrees? Just dammit.

Last edited:
Poor mother lost her kids to that monster - hope the judge has many a sleepless night for siding with daddy cop who surely must be an upstanding citizen and the best person to care for the kids...........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:.

Disgusting what this "family" did.
There is a trend and action needs to be taken.

Police Have a Much Bigger Domestic-Abuse Problem Than the NFL Does
As the National Center for Women and Policing noted in a heavily footnoted information sheet, "Two studies have found that at least 40 percent of police officer families experience domestic violence, in contrast to 10 percent of families in the general population. A third study of older and more experienced officers found a rate of 24 percent, indicating that domestic violence is two to four times more common among police families than American families in general." Cops "typically handle cases of police family violence informally, often without an official report, investigation, or even check of the victim's safety," the summary continues. "This 'informal' method is often in direct contradiction to legislative mandates and departmental policies regarding the appropriate response to domestic violence crimes." Finally, "even officers who are found guilty of domestic violence are unlikely to be fired, arrested, or referred for prosecution."

National Center For Women and Policing

Police Family Violence Fact Sheet

Two studies have found that at least 40% of police officer families experience domestic violence, in contrast to 10% of families in the general population. A third study of older and more experienced officers found a rate of 24%, indicating that domestic violence is 2-4 times more common among police families than American families in general. A police department that has domestic violence offenders among its ranks will not effectively serve and protect victims in the community. Moreover, when officers know of domestic violence committed by their colleagues and seek to protect them by covering it up, they expose the department to civil liability.

The helpless mother even detailed the alleged abuse on a Twitter account she created in January 2018 under the name “StandAgainstChildAbuse.”

A 2018 report from the East Moriches School District posted in a tweet details how Thomas and his older brother, Anthony, were being neglected by Valva and Pollina.

“Biggest concern is that Mr. Valva and his fiancée Angela do not understand the depth of Anthony and Thomas’s disabilities,” read the letter written by a school psychologist.

The letter went on to say that “both Anthony and Thomas come into school hungry and frequently say they did not eat breakfast because they did not ask for breakfast or got in trouble.”

“The boys were afraid to go to the nurse’s office for a while and they said it was because they were directed by Mr. Valva and Angela not to go to the nurse’s office. This occurred shortly after the school nurse became involved in a CPS case because Thomas has multiple bruises on his bottom from Dad,” the letter read.

Another school letter posted to the account states: “Anthony and Thomas have stated that they were not allowed to eat breakfast because they did not use their manners, say good morning to Angela or were doing nothing. They have come in crying because of this.”

“The boys come in hungry and most days state that they have not eaten breakfast,” says the letter, which noted that “both boys were coming in with visible dirt on their bodies for days in a row,” and that Anthony lost 11 pounds in nine months, while Thomas gained one pound in 20 months — despite both being growing boys.

The school district would not verify the letters, but Charles Russo, the Superintendent of Schools, expressed the school’s condolences in a statement.

“Thomas was a tender, loving boy who made tremendous gains during the short time he was a student in East Moriches,” Russo said, adding, “While the district legally cannot comment on any specific case, it aggressively reports to the proper authorities child abuse when it is suspected.”
https://nypost.com/2020/01/24/nypd-...-valva-for-years-before-his-death-mom-claims/

Valva and Pollina both had three kids from another marriage. Home security cameras shed light on abusive behavior including unsafe conditions and food deprivation. Police are also looking into allegations from the school district citing abuse and neglect specifically involving Thomas and his older brother who were both on the autism spectrum. A welfare check on the family was done last year but no other details were given.

The attorney representing both defendants says his clients maintain their innocence.

”Anyone can point a finger,” said Matthew Tuohy. “It’s certainly a tragedy. Right now my clients- it’s speculation and injecture.”

The NYPD confirms Valva joined the force in 2005 and has been suspended without pay. He and Pollina are being held without bail and due back in court next week.

Valva has been in the NYPD since 2005. He is suspended without pay as of Friday.
NYPD officer, fiancee charged in death of boy on Long Island

In addition to Thomas, Valva’s six-year-old and 10-year-old brothers lived with the couple, as did Pollina’s 11-year-old twin daughters and her six-year-old son.

The couple reportedly had an extensive home security system and monitored the children closely.

Said footage helped investigators discovered that Valva’s other sons were punished with ‘food deprivation and exposure to extremely frigid temperatures.’

The remaining children have been placed in Child Protective Services.

‘We are still investigating the extent of the abuse and if it extended to all of the children,’ said Hart.
Autistic son of NYPD cop 'froze to death after he was left in the family's garage overnight'

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back