NY - Twenty Fatality Traffic Crash, Schoharie County, 6 Oct 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
They also have Social Security Survivors benefits available to the orphaned children. Young people sometimes overlook this benefit.

The funeral home will help them with it, or their lawyer will handle it. These poor people will need guidance, they are in no condition to make decisions alone.

True, but with parents only in their early 30's the amount of SS benefit accrued will be small.

I hope the driver's BAC can be measured. That could certainly be a big factor in this horrible event.

We should be hearing details pretty soon...

Snipped by me.

In addition to BAC, I am curious about any text/cellphone use during the minutes leading up to the crash. While my hunch is that the crash is the result of the horrible combination of a faulty vehicle and faulty signage (and lack of rumble strips) on the road, I'm wondering if the driver was also distracted by a cellphone. I've seen cab drivers watching videos on the sly while driving. I haven't heard any information about the driver on a device, and this is just me wondering, not a fact.

I'd also like to know when the limo owner left the country - can someone post that info if it's been made available? tia

jmo

I saw a text from the birthday honoree to a friend where she stated that she wasn't sure she would make it through her bd celebration alive because of the condition of the bus (not an exact quote here), but haven't seen or heard this mentioned again. Anyone remember reading that? I keep hearing about the text about how noisy the ride was, but nothing about the other text.

And, concerning the "limo" ... from the side view, there is one long window on rear side, then some normal windows up to the I guess normal window of the driver's compartment. Not counting the long window on rear side or the driver's side window, how many normal windows are there on that vehicle?

I hope and pray that the guilty are severely punished for their parts in this tragedy. Sometimes it is so hard to be forgiving. Can't do it on this one (like many others.) It gets to be really tough reading on WS. So much sorrow, so much cruelty, so much undeserved death. Tough.

IIRC there was also a text saying there was rust on parts of the limo but it didn't say where. This had me wondering whether there were holes large enough to allow carbon monoxide to seep into the interior of the limo. There was an article quoted upthread that talked about this possibly dangerous scenario.

To make it worse, we now learn that death did not come instantly for all, but that some lived long enough to suffer. I pray that shock lessened their awareness. Lord have mercy.

Most died on scene, only one was airlifted to a hospital. So my hope is noone was conscious anymore.

Limo driver's wife says husband had complained about company's cars

According to Kim, he's complained about Prestige's vehicles before.

"He did complain. There were a few times where he told me, like I overheard him say, 'I'm not going to drive this, like this, you need to give me another car,'" Kim said.

"So he knew something was wrong with those vehicles?" Morgan asked.

"Not really… he trusted in what the limo company said, that the cars were alright," Kim said. "But, please, I have to say, I feel for these victims, I feel for them….I am in no way trying to make it seem like its about me or my husband. I just want my husband to be vindicated….I have to stand for him 'cause nobody else will."

So he cared enough to complain about the state of the cars, but not enough to be properly licensed for them?

Snipped by me.

In addition to BAC, I am curious about any text/cellphone use during the minutes leading up to the crash. While my hunch is that the crash is the result of the horrible combination of a faulty vehicle and faulty signage (and lack of rumble strips) on the road, I'm wondering if the driver was also distracted by a cellphone. I've seen cab drivers watching videos on the sly while driving. I haven't heard any information about the driver on a device, and this is just me wondering, not a fact.

I'd also like to know when the limo owner left the country - can someone post that info if it's been made available? tia

jmo

I heard Hussain's attorney say he left a couple of weeks ago, but I'm not sure I believe him. I think it was in the Stephanopolous video posted upthread.

IIRC there was also a text saying there was rust on parts of the limo but it didn't say where. This had me wondering whether there were holes large enough to allow carbon monoxide to seep into the interior of the limo. There was an article quoted upthread that talked about this possibly dangerous scenario.

Most died on scene, only one was airlifted to a hospital. So my hope is noone was conscious anymore.

The one guy who got the same limo for his wedding said parts of it were held together with duct tape painted white.

LaRose said there were several things wrong with the limo. There was visible rust and duct tape painted white to blend in with the limo's exterior.

Plus

LaRose told the station that he 'noticed there were empty beer cans in the back' and that Lisinicchia had picked up another passenger who was sitting in the front seat next to him.

Also, this same article has the info with the attorney saying owner left a couple of weeks ago.

Man who rented limo involved in deadly crash says vehicle belonged in 'scrap yard' | Daily Mail Online

From the link:

"In March the vehicle was cited for a whopping 14 safety violations and the DOT said the limo had to be taken out of service until the issues were fixed.

Among the citations were the fact that 25 percent of the car's brakes were defective, the rear emergency exits did not operate properly, and that a hydraulic brake line was dangling and able to make contact with a tire.

A September inspection once again turned up a number of violations, and noted that many of the issues found in March had not been fixed. "

Son of limo owner in police custody following NY crash
The son of the owner of Prestige Limousine, which owns the vehicle involved in the upstate New York crash that killed 20, is in state police custody in Latham, New York, ABC News reports.

It is unclear what charges he may face.

Limo Owner's Son Taken into Custody in Connection With Fatal Crash

A son of the owner of the Prestige limousine company was taken into custody Wednesday by New York State Police, according to Lee Kindlon, attorney for the company. Kindlon says he expects the man to be charged today with criminally negligent homicide.

wow, Daily Mail has the breaking news. I'm surprised that mainstream did not break it.

ETA Nauman Hussain was taken into custody on Wednesday morning.

Lee Kindlon, the attorney for Prestige Limousines, believes Hussain will be charged with criminally negligent homicide in connection with the crash.

Hussain manages the day to day operations of the company, which is owned by his father Shahed.

Shahed Hussain is currently in Pakistan for a medical operation, according to Kindlon.

Kindlon said Shahed has 'signaled his willingness' to return to the US to aid the investigation. It remains unknown if he will face charges.

State Police confirmed Wednesday that the limousine's driver, Scott Lisinicchi, had been stopped by a state trooper in Saratoga Springs in late August after he had driven 11 people in the same vehicle and cited for operating it without a proper license.

State Police said the trooper advised both the driver and the company that Lisinicchia could not operate the vehicle without additional licensure.

Son of owner of limo in deadly crash taken into custody

State Police confirmed Wednesday that the limousine's driver, Scott Lisinicchi, had been stopped by a state trooper in Saratoga Springs in late August after he had driven 11 people in the same vehicle and cited for operating it without a proper license.

State Police said the trooper advised both the driver and the company that Lisinicchia could not operate the vehicle without additional licensure.

Son of owner of limo in deadly crash taken into custody
The lack of license is an issue, but I honestly don't think his license was a factor in the accident and death of the passengers. The lack of proper license is a violation, I know, but I think the problem with it is that it indicates a lack of concern over rules and laws by the owners.

If the owners had integrity, their drivers would be properly licensed (and employees would also make sure they themselves had the proper license. I know I wouldn't work without one, even if the boss said it was okay!), but we now know that the owner was involved with a license-fraud so the licenses of his employees meant nothing to him. THAT lack of care is the problem.

The lack of the right type of license didn't cause the accident, ykwim?

Everything about this company shows a lack of concern over safety. The owner was likely trying to save money or was just plain ol' corrupt for corruptness sake and had a habit of subverting rules and getting away with stuff under the nose of authorities....without ANY concern that his behavior threatened the lives of others. He just didn't care, imo.

If the driver had the proper license, would this accident have happened? Yes, I think it would have.

jmopinion with what we know now

The lack of license is an issue, but I honestly don't think his license was a factor in the accident and death of the passengers. The lack of proper license is a violation, I know, but I think the problem with it is that it indicates a lack of concern over rules and laws by the owners.

If the owners had integrity, their drivers would be properly licensed (and employees would also make sure they themselves had the proper license. I know I wouldn't work without one, even if the boss said it was okay!), but we now know that the owner was involved with a license-fraud so the licenses of his employees meant nothing to him. THAT lack of care is the problem.

The lack of the right type of license didn't cause the accident, ykwim?

Everything about this company shows a lack of concern over safety. The owner was likely trying to save money or was just plain ol' corrupt for corruptness sake and had a habit of subverting rules and getting away with stuff under the nose of authorities....without ANY concern that his behavior threatened the lives of others. He just didn't care, imo.

If the driver had the proper license, would this accident have happened? Yes, I think it would have.

jmopinion with what we know now

Upthread someone posted the pre-drive vehicle checklist that is done by someone who is properly licensed. If he would have been properly licensed, he would have known about the checklist and those people would not be dead. IMO, there is dual responsibility.

Upthread someone posted the pre-drive vehicle checklist that is done by someone who is properly licensed. If he would have been properly licensed, he would have known about the checklist and those people would not be dead. IMO, there is dual responsibility.
Assuming he would use the checklist....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member