NY - Twenty Fatality Traffic Crash, Schoharie County, 6 Oct 2018

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Richrd, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

The charges are homicide x 20, I hope.

jmo

TDoc72, EuTuCroquet?, CARIIS and 6 others like this.

2. Inthedetails

My hunch is that the brakes were messed up on the vehicle.

Driver expertise might help, but I think the failure was with the vehicle and the road/signage/grade.

From what we know now. As more info comes in, we'll know more about the accident, of course.

jmo

EuTuCroquet?, angelainwi, TRB and 8 others like this.
  3. Herat

Herat Way out West

I disagree. I don’t think having a checklist would have prevented this accident

EuTuCroquet?, flourish, TRB and 8 others like this.
  4. Herat

Herat Way out West

And that really should be the responsibility of the agency that employs him to know the difference and to comply with licensing regulations.

EuTuCroquet?, flourish, TRB and 9 others like this.
  5. MelmothTheLost

MelmothTheLost Well-Known Member

Engine gases can leak into the passenger compartment in certain conditions, eg corroded pipes carrying the exhaust gases and corrosion holes in the, eg, the floor of the vehicle. My first car suffered from this until the fault was identified and corrected. I remember becoming rather headachy and dopey in winter when the heater was in use.

6. Herat

Herat Way out West

As this was a modification of a stock Ford Expedition, it was likely an automatic shift. It would be slightly more difficult to engine brake in an automatic, especially if there is an issue with the clutch / transmission. He could have realize the brakes had failed and gone to try engine braking that was also futile, as it was too late for the steepness of the grade and the total vehicle weight.

We dont yet know if he was or wasn’t engine braking, do we?

7. Herat

Herat Way out West

With the decceleration forces going from 60 to 0 there is no reason to implicate any other causation of death other than trauma, IMHO.

I just think this carbon monoxide issue is not feasible

8. oceanblueeyes

oceanblueeyes Well-Known Member

Thank goodness. I was so worried he would flee and never be found to face justice.

borndem, cass523, SugarQueen and 4 others like this.
  9. oceanblueeyes

I dont think this was due to carbon monoxide poisoning either. As you said they all died when the vehicle speed went from 60 mph or more to zero upon impact.

10. Herat

Herat Way out West

It’s one of the SONS that is in custody, who was only managing the business, as I understand it. The owner of the business, the father is reported to be in Pakistan for “a medical procedure”

Hmmm. Hard to believe one would go to Pakistan for a medical procedure if you live in the US, or even Dubai

borndem, SugarQueen, cass523 and 4 others like this.
  11. MelmothTheLost

All the more reason to be able to use engine braking. I was taught it for driving an ordinary car back in 1980.

I agree to some extent about the road/signage/grade, but you can slow a vehicle very effectively if you can use the gears. With a manual gearbox/stick shift, it's possible to change down from 5th or 6th to 3rd and then to 2nd within 10 or 20 seconds. The vehicle will progressively lurch slower to around 20mph and these passengers would have been thrown around somewhat, but much less than they would have been in simply being thrown against the forward partition at 50 or 60 mph. The downside is that you usually wreck the gearbox in doing so.

I'm not clear about how you would use this type of braking on an automatic gearbox though. I've only driven an automatic a couple of times.

12. oceanblueeyes

Oh thank you Herat. I am trying to keep up with so many threads at the moment so I am unable to read through them all.

I say hmmmm too and it's quite convenient that he happens to be out of the country. Have they said when he left and if the invesigators have been able to speak with him? Tia

Mica likes this.
  13. K_Z

K_Z Verified Anesthetist

Nauman Hussain has a interesting history, especially as it pertains to driving convictions. Is this the kind of person that should be operating or managing a passenger transportation company?

Nauman Hussain: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

From 2014:

Cops: Brothers impersonated each other in Cohoes

Tripod, TRB, cass523 and 3 others like this.
  14. Herat

Herat Way out West

In a reputable business, these guys would have been dropped because of these issues as the owner would realize their own liability. And a reputable business would, of course, have appropriate insurance, too.

I’m sure there is no law against employing drivers who have traffic or other non-felonious infractions.

15. Inthedetails

You should have been driving that vehicle. Sounds like you could've saved lives.

jmo

EuTuCroquet? and MelmothTheLost like this.
  16. Herat

Herat Way out West

I’ve engine- braked in an automatic SUV and it isn’t THAT difficult, you just have to have a bit of a calm head to get it out of automatic into a lower gear and be ready to lurch and risk fouling up the transmission

borndem likes this.
  17. Inthedetails

Exactly.

I once worked for a crook and as soon as I figured it out, I quit. If a boss will disregard regulations and tell you it's okay, leave!! It's like a virus being at a disreputable business - everything is affected and the disregard for rules just spreads and spreads. The decent people leave, which leaves a rotten core of disreputable people who will sell out their integrity. Get out!

Didn't mean to lecture there....just happened. :)

jmo

18. Inthedetails

Delete. Wrong thread!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  19. MelmothTheLost

Thank you for the vote of confidence, though I suspect it would be misplaced. I have virtually no experience with automatic transmission.

20. windrower

windrower Well-Known Member

I wonder if he was driving a company vehicle when he was arrested . . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.