NY - Twenty Fatality Traffic Crash, Schoharie County, 6 Oct 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Insurance may play a role in the decisions of some people. For those who need to pay a substantial portion out of pocket, India has long been a medical tourism destination for US citizens seeking a large variety of procedures at considerably less expense than in the US.

India offers not only a considerable cost savings, but top rate medical care to those who can afford it. Needless to say, most Indians cannot afford the top level care. Top level care, however, still exists and is available to Indians and foreigners who can afford it. Pakistan is probably a destination as well, though not nearly the same volume as India.

I've heard and read that Dubai has excellent health care, as well.

Dubai - Healthcare and Medical Treatment | ExpatFocus.com

I wonder if he was driving a company vehicle when he was arrested . . . .

The owner is out of the country. I kind of doubt that he will be charged anyway. Since he is apparently not involved in the day to day operation of the company.

At the end of the day, the owner of a business is responsible for his company and what happens on company time in company vehicles. JMO

I wish that was the case, but I don't think it works that way. At least not criminally. He will probably get hit with a civil lawsuit though.

Out of curiosity, I spent time yesterday reading consumer reviews for local limousine companies (north suburban Detroit). Many negative reviews (1 0r 2 out of 5 stars) but none that were related to vehicle safety. Most complaints were customer service issues like substitution of vehicle without warning, inaccurate price quotes, late arrival of driver, unprofessional driver behavior, etc. None of the reviews I read indicated any type of safety concerns.
I would say that some of the issues that are related to vehicle substitution and late arrival of drivers are a result of broken down vehicles which made the fleet smaller or the margin of arrival later because of unavailable vehicles. In my limited limo experience, this has been the case-- we ordered the newer model but an older less fancy one was sent. Lots of bait and switch happens in prom season---- with students who order then get something that carries fewer or is not clean. It is very shady in the NY suburbs and city area.

If one goes on Yelp, the number of companies that have horrible reviews and questionable practices are not small. It is really an industry that needs some oversight. Many poor companies remain in business.

Just the point I was planning to make. IMO, IME, Just about everyone I know has, at one time or another, experienced a "limo ride from hell." Obviously, not reaching the same catastrophic level as this one, but there are countless reviews/posts online by limo customers. So many folks (especially those expecting the "perfect" wedding experience) who were either dissatisfied ( at best) or truly frightened with the level of service and safety.

I guess part of the issue for those trying to "vet" a limo provider is sifting through the petty "Bridezilla" complaints to find reviews by those with serious concerns about the way their limo experience was (mis)handled.

IMO and IME, I can imagine the way this horrific event will be played out in the following months/years:
  • Justice will be demanded for the families and those personally scarred by this disaster, and arrests will be made.
  • Following the final report by NTSB and other associated agencies, flaws in the "system" will be uncovered and determined to have contributed to the tragedy, spurring the formation of special committees
  • State/Local/County/Federal government entities will attempt to shift any blame/responsibility to and between one another
  • Various government entities will pledge to work harder (maybe even together, lol) to change the way the industry is regulated, or (more likely) only promise to enforce existing laws. Behind the scenes, industry lobbyists will present recommendations of their own.
  • This intersection will be revamped to prevent a similar accident from occurring, and scores of other "bad" intersections-- across the entire country will be overlooked while we wait for the "powers that be" to work on a comprehensive infrastructure initiative
I know I'm leaving a lot of steps out. . .:(

Out of curiosity, I spent time yesterday reading consumer reviews for local limousine companies (north suburban Detroit). Many negative reviews (1 0r 2 out of 5 stars) but none that were related to vehicle safety. Most complaints were customer service issues like substitution of vehicle without warning, inaccurate price quotes, late arrival of driver, unprofessional driver behavior, etc. None of the reviews I read indicated any type of safety concerns.

This has probably already been posted but the yelp reviews for one of the other names the company went by also expressed safety concerns and concerns about the driver. Idk if it’s the same driver or not.

I tend to keep an open mind when I read reviews of products/companies/services etc since unhappy people are more prone to leave reviews than satisfied customers (imo) and some people love to complain for the sake of complaining. But if a company has a bad rating on yelp, google, etc, with detailed reviews explaining the bad rating, I do take that into consideration. The bad yelp reviews for this company are pretty detailed and while it’s possible they could be a little bit exaggerated (see above about unhappy customers leaving bad reviews), one of the reviews says the driver was impaired. In most cases I’d assume it was just an unfounded accusation, but considering others have said the same about the driver it doesn’t seem far fetched to me. Assuming it’s the same driver, which it may not be.

Eta the link. Whoops Hasy Limousine - Gansevoort, NY

Deleted

Last edited:
The crime is punishable by up to four years in prison. He was arraigned in Cobleskill Town Court on Wednesday night and was released on $50,000 cash or $150,000 bail.

Snip

Schoharie County District Attorney Susan Mallery said in town court that Hussain was found with his belongings packed in his car, suggesting he might be a flight risk.

But Kindlon responded that Hussain had received death threats and was leaving his home, not looking to flee the area.

Snip

"The trooper also took steps to ensure that the vehicle was taken off the road, returned to its original location and directed the driver not to drive the vehicle," State Police said.

But State Police said the trooper did not have the legal authority to seize the plates or the vehicle during that stop.

More at link below. NY state police seem to be in CYA mode. And Nauman was released on bail.

Troopers arrest operator of limo company after deadly crash

He agreed to surrender his U.S. passport and his Pakistani one if he has one, though Kindlon said he does not. Mallery said that when his car was stopped, he was with his brother and girlfriend and the car was full of clothing.

Snip

Shahed Hussain is currently in his native Pakistan. Beach said he could still face charges, though police had no authority to force Hussain to return to the United States.

Snip

Kindlon minimized Nauman Hussain's role in Prestige Limo, describing the father as the one who ran the day-to-day business.

Snip

He had a commercial driver's license but it wasn't endorsed to carry such a large number of passengers, which would have required a bus certification.

Operator of limo service involved in Schoharie crash arrested

If the link I posted above is accurate and the police can’t make Shahed return to the US. I have a feeling that Shahed is going to agree to take the blame and go along with the sentiment that he was the main person that handled the day to day operations so his son won’t go to jail. JMO

If the link I posted above is accurate and the police can’t make Shahed return to the US. I have a feeling that Shahed is going to agree to take the blame and go along with the sentiment that he was the main person that handled the day to day operations so his son won’t go to jail. JMO
Or...offer to blow the lid on wider corruption.

This man was involved with license fraud in the past (wonder why he didn't "fix" his employee's license). Perhaps he knows of other frauds and will spill the beans. He has a history of making deals with the authorities.

This case stinks.

jmo

He agreed to surrender his U.S. passport and his Pakistani one if he has one, though Kindlon said he does not. Mallery said that when his car was stopped, he was with his brother and girlfriend and the car was full of clothing.

Snip

Shahed Hussain is currently in his native Pakistan. Beach said he could still face charges, though police had no authority to force Hussain to return to the United States.

Snip

Kindlon minimized Nauman Hussain's role in Prestige Limo, describing the father as the one who ran the day-to-day business.

Snip

He had a commercial driver's license but it wasn't endorsed to carry such a large number of passengers, which would have required a bus certification.

Operator of limo service involved in Schoharie crash arrested

Yes, very convenient. They are setting the scene...Minimize the son’s role in the company, say the father ran the day to day business, and authorities can’t force the father to return to the US. There will be no penalty for these murders. IMO

More at link below. NY state police seem to be in CYA mode. And Nauman was released on bail.

"Hussain, 28, was taken into custody and charged with the class E felony, State Police said. Beach said more counts could be added, but the one charge at this point accounts for all 20 deaths.

The crime is punishable by up to four years in prison. He pleaded not guilty and was arraigned in Cobleskill Town Court. He was released on $150,000 bail.
Schoharie County District Attorney Susan Mallery said in town court that Hussain was found with his belongings packed in his car, suggesting he might be a flight risk.

But Kindlon responded that Hussain had received death threats and was leaving his home, not looking to flee the area."

The classic, "It was "HIS" fault defense.".

That is pretty much what I thought would happen, everyone would blame someone else, most likely to the dead limousine driver, to take the blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutalicy