NY - Twenty Fatality Traffic Crash, Schoharie County, 6 Oct 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the more reason to be able to use engine braking. I was taught it for driving an ordinary car back in 1980.

I agree to some extent about the road/signage/grade, but you can slow a vehicle very effectively if you can use the gears. With a manual gearbox/stick shift, it's possible to change down from 5th or 6th to 3rd and then to 2nd within 10 or 20 seconds. The vehicle will progressively lurch slower to around 20mph and these passengers would have been thrown around somewhat, but much less than they would have been in simply being thrown against the forward partition at 50 or 60 mph. The downside is that you usually wreck the gearbox in doing so.

I'm not clear about how you would use this type of braking on an automatic gearbox though. I've only driven an automatic a couple of times.

I posted about this earlier. The vehicle would ordinarily be in Drive. You would put it into 2nd, and if possible, 3rd.
You would destroy the transmission, but maybe you would not be dead.

https://www.news10.com/news/local-n...ompany-involved-in-schoharie-crash/1510589363

SCHOHARIE, N.Y. (NEWS10) - New York State Police said the company that owned the limousine involved in the fatal Schoharie crash had recently failed an inspection and was not road worthy.

Two driver vehicle examination reports were sent to NEWS10 ABC by an anonymous, concerned citizen. The reports show that safety warnings were sent to Prestige Limousine twice. The most recent warning was sent one month before the crash.

The first report was taken in March 2018 where a 2001 Ford stretch limo matching the year, make and model of the vehicle was cited by the Department of Transportation for several violations, including a hydraulic brake line that was dangling and making contact with an axel.
It was also cited for an inoperable emergency exit window and emergency side door.

Carbon monoxide has been a big problem for ME fleet vehicles. There are some you tube videos out there as well.

Carbon monoxide illness linked to Ford SUVs hits Austin police hardest
I’ve engine- braked in an automatic SUV and it isn’t THAT difficult, you just have to have a bit of a calm head to get it out of automatic into a lower gear and be ready to lurch and risk fouling up the transmission
bbm
Yep -- and the transmission can always be replaced -- unlike those 20 lives that were lost.

It certainly would be worth a try -- and maybe some lives could have been saved.

I remember having to do that in Driver's Ed wa-a-a-ay back when! We had a manual 3-on-the-column Dodge Dart -- great little car -- and all three of us were able to slow the car without blowing up the tranny (as they say). But that little Dart weighed much, much, much less that than hulking, badly equipped, . I don't know...

Law better put this man on the no fly list. I bet anything he has another passport and will be saying adios very soon!!! I would be enraged if one of the deceased was my child!!!

I completely agree!

The father is back in Pakistan. Didn’t he commit a murder there years ago? He can go back to Pakistan as a murderer without a threat of arrest?

I bet the son has another passport. If not, there’s always a chance his father will get him one illegally. JMO

Hussain did not say anything to reporters as he left court. Hussain paid bail through a bail bondsman and is scheduled to appear again in the court on Tuesday, Oct. 23.

Kindlon, speaking to reporters earlier in the day at State Police Troop G barracks in Latham, said because of the death toll, Hussain faces the possibility of being charged with 20 counts of the crime that could run consecutively in sentencing.

Limo owner's son released on bail after arraignment on homicide charge

Upthread someone posted the pre-drive vehicle checklist that is done by someone who is properly licensed. If he would have been properly licensed, he would have known about the checklist and those people would not be dead. IMO, there is dual responsibility.

I don't think it matters - regarding a license. A huge old beat up car with no brakes and bad tires is a beat up car with no way to stop

Him helping the FBI has nothing to do IMO, with a car with no brakes.

Cars that cant stop crash. moo

I completely agree!

The father is back in Pakistan. Didn’t he commit a murder there years ago? He can go back to Pakistan as a murderer without a threat of arrest?

I bet the son has another passport. If not, there’s always a chance his father will get him one illegally. JMO

His father certainly appears capable of having the connections to get fake passports for anyone and spirit them all out of the country, never to stand trial or pay any kind of penalty or compensation to the families of the victims.

f

Just the point I was planning to make. IMO, IME, Just about everyone I know has, at one time or another, experienced a "limo ride from hell." Obviously, not reaching the same catastrophic level as this one, but there are countless reviews/posts online by limo customers. So many folks (especially those expecting the "perfect" wedding experience) who were either dissatisfied ( at best) or truly frightened with the level of service and safety.

I guess part of the issue for those trying to "vet" a limo provider is sifting through the petty "Bridezilla" complaints to find reviews by those with serious concerns about the way their limo experience was (mis)handled.

IMO and IME, I can imagine the way this horrific event will be played out in the following months/years:
  • Justice will be demanded for the families and those personally scarred by this disaster, and arrests will be made.
  • Following the final report by NTSB and other associated agencies, flaws in the "system" will be uncovered and determined to have contributed to the tragedy, spurring the formation of special committees
  • State/Local/County/Federal government entities will attempt to shift any blame/responsibility to and between one another
  • Various government entities will pledge to work harder (maybe even together, lol) to change the way the industry is regulated, or (more likely) only promise to enforce existing laws. Behind the scenes, industry lobbyists will present recommendations of their own.
  • This intersection will be revamped to prevent a similar accident from occurring, and scores of other "bad" intersections-- across the entire country will be overlooked while we wait for the "powers that be" to work on a comprehensive infrastructure initiative
I know I'm leaving a lot of steps out. . .:(

You left out the part where the committee will meet and form a committee to review the committee's report. A report will then be released which will result in a formation of a committee to review the committees reports on the committee report filed by the committee. A committee will be formed to review the improvements needed which will result in a committee to review the financial component of the committees report.

That committee will release a report citing that financially none of the reccs could be done. A committee will be formed to discuss financially doable recommendations which will result in a report being released, which will result in a committee to review the committees report of the committee recommendations!

A committee will then...............

Investigation continues into limo company involved in Schoharie crash

SCHOHARIE, N.Y. (NEWS10) - New York State Police said the company that owned the limousine involved in the fatal Schoharie crash had recently failed an inspection and was not road worthy.

Two driver vehicle examination reports were sent to NEWS10 ABC by an anonymous, concerned citizen. The reports show that safety warnings were sent to Prestige Limousine twice. The most recent warning was sent one month before the crash.

The first report was taken in March 2018 where a 2001 Ford stretch limo matching the year, make and model of the vehicle was cited by the Department of Transportation for several violations, including a hydraulic brake line that was dangling and making contact with an axel.
It was also cited for an inoperable emergency exit window and emergency side door.

A literal death trap.

What a nightmare.

I'm just popping in here quickly to correct something I'd read here a couple of days ago. That T-intersection in Schoharie was redone just 5 years ago and not 10 years ago, as someone had stated. I didn't jump in when I first saw the comment because I wanted to make sure I was correct. I do recall when they worked on it and it didn't seem that long ago, to me.
Apologies to not providing link to that particular post :) Also, our first responders will continue needing many prayers and support, as of course will the families. Thank you.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/09/4-sisters-killed-in-limo-crash-will-be-buried-together/

A group funeral will be held for Amy King Steenburg, 29, Allison King, 32, Mary King Dyson, 33, and Abigail King Jackson, 34 — as well as Mary and Abigail’s husbands — on Saturday, the sisters’ grieving brother told The Post in an exclusive interview Tuesday.

“The girls are being buried together, although I don’t think I can say buried because all my sisters are being cremated,” sibling Tom King said outside his parents’ home in rural Amsterdam, about 35 miles northwest of Albany.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/09/4-sisters-killed-in-limo-crash-will-be-buried-together/

A group funeral will be held for Amy King Steenburg, 29, Allison King, 32, Mary King Dyson, 33, and Abigail King Jackson, 34 — as well as Mary and Abigail’s husbands — on Saturday, the sisters’ grieving brother told The Post in an exclusive interview Tuesday.

“The girls are being buried together, although I don’t think I can say buried because all my sisters are being cremated,” sibling Tom King said outside his parents’ home in rural Amsterdam, about 35 miles northwest of Albany.
Man, that article was hard to read. It made me cry so much. Praying for all of the families, but especially theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member