NY - Twenty Fatality Traffic Crash, Schoharie County, 6 Oct 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the news reports state the limo was “speeding down a hill”, but it would take a thorough investigation to determine that I think.

20 people killed in 'horrific' limousine crash in upstate New York, authorities say

From above-linked article:

BBM:

Chris Fiore, first deputy superintendent of the New York State Police, said the limousine, which was headed southwest on State Route 30, failed to stop at the intersection. The speed limit on that road is 50 mph, but it was not immediately clear how fast the Excursion was going, Fiori said.

Not sure if there was a stop sign or signal at the intersection where this occurred.

NTSB will be conducting an investigation.

NTSB_Newsroom on Twitter

Schoharie resident Richard Colyer heard the sirens Saturday afternoon and knew something horrible had happened, he said Sunday morning.

The retired Niskayuna teacher lives near the intersection of routes 30 and 30A, where 20 people were killed in a limousine crash.

"I thought it could be here," Colyer said Sunday morning, as he visited friends at the Apple Barrel Country Store, "because this is where most of the accidents do happen."

Resident: Schoharie limo crash intersection dangerous

More photos from the scene.

Source: The Latest: Aunt says limo was on way to birthday party

1024x1024.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

Witness: NY limousine crash that left 20 dead was 'like an explosion'
"Local officials told the Times Union of Albany that a limo speeding down a hill hit bystanders at the store in Schoharie, about 170 miles (270 kilometres) north of New York City."
"State police confirmed the death toll and said the crash involved two vehicles.

Customers in the parking lot were killed when they were hit by the limo coming down a hill on state Route 30 at “probably over 60 mph,” the store manager, Jessica Kirby, told The New York Times ."

Here is an article describing the crash in more detail.
"The 2001 Ford Excursion limousine was traveling southwest on Route 30 in Schoharie, about 170 miles (270 kilometers) north of New York City around 2 p.m. when it failed to stop at a T-junction with state Route 30A, State Police First Deputy Superintendent Christopher Fiore said at a news conference in Latham, New York."
Limo crash in NY town leaves 20 dead in deadliest US transportation accident in nearly 10 years

Was the limousine making a turn at the time of the crash? Nothing comical about this tragedy, to be sure, but watching one of these massive vehicles turn corners is something to behold. They require more road area than a semi. Not a Slinky.

Maybe, but it seems like the top would be crushed more if it rolled over the amount of times it would take to get it where it ended up.

I think if it went airborne when it rolled over it may not have sustained a lot of roof damage if it landed upright.

I have read articles where a vehicle went airborne and flipped two or three times in the air before it landed upright or upside down. That puts major G- forces on the people inside.

I am not saying this is what happened here though...only it's a possibility.

I do know this is such a heartbreaking tragedy for everyone involved and their families. Prayers for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304