NY - Twenty Fatality Traffic Crash, Schoharie County, 6 Oct 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• 40148D05-575F-4493-90D9-A910739EA11A.jpeg
    40148D05-575F-4493-90D9-A910739EA11A.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Are these legal issues in the arrest warrant, or the search warrant? There have been a few MSM comments related to the arrest warrant, but no real details. I hope there is not an issue with any search warrants that would result in removing / recovering evidence. The CBS interview stated the NTSB would have to take pieces and parts of the limo to Washington to examine them. I am guessing they can't do that until it's been investigated by Hussain's attorney as well as NYS.

The comment in the news clip on this taking a year is frustrating, but there hasn't been much info from the Canadian bus crash either and it's been 6 + months.

It's from MSM but lots of speculation:

Records reveal mysterious life of FBI informant Shahed Hussain

After the crash, the lawyer stated Shahed Hussain would return if needed, now this article states he has no plans to return. I do find this odd, that someone that fled Pakistan reportedly from persecution, would willingly return.

Interesting new detail about his home, one of the fires and mysterious infusions of cash from newspaper and attorney investigations.

Note how many times "declined to comment" appear.

In case anyone is interested, there is another special on at 6pm today on CBS for the locals. I'm sure it'll be available online afterward.

It's supposed to be an in-depth look at the the NTSB investigation.

Do you have a link to the station as many times they will have a feed that is live if it is on their news.

Not finding much new info lately. Saw this today - includes a short video clip of drone footage as well as a quote:

"Tellingly, the NTSB has been unable to conduct a full examination of the limousine because prosecutors are investigating the possibility of more criminal charges and the State Police remain in possession of the vehicle."

State has had chances to fix known problems with stretch limos: Editorial

Do you have a link to the station as many times they will have a feed that is live if it is on their news.
I just found these:
------------------------------------
NTSB chairman on limo crash investigation - CBS News
NTSB chairman on limo crash investigation

-----------------------------------
NTSB denied full access to limo involved in crash that ... - CBS News
Oct 19, 2018 - WASHINGTON — Federal safety investigators have been unable to conduct a full examination of the limousine involved in a crash that killed 20 ...
----------------------------------
NTSB chairman on limo crash investigation [Video] - Yahoo

NTSB chairman on limo crash investigation
Oct 8, 2018 - NTSB chairman Robert Sumwalt joins "CBS This Morning" to discuss the limo crash in Schoharie, New York, that killed 20 people.
---------------------------------------------
Finding the cause: Inside the NTSB lab investigating the Schoharie ...

cbs6albany.com/news/.../finding-the-cause-inside-the-ntsb-lab-investigating-the-schoh...

Nov 1, 2018 - The October 6 limo crash in Schoharie is the deadliest transportation accident the NTSB has investigated since 2009. Twenty people lost their ...

Last edited:
In LLLindsayy's link above is the following new info (I've been so busy I haven't even looked at much this week, finally got to reading the article)

BBM: A witness!

"The condition of the Ford Excursion’s brakes is a critical element of the ongoing criminal investigation. A person briefed on the statement of a witness said that moments before the crash, the limousine had pulled to the side of Route 30. The limousine was rolling slowly forward on the shoulder, the witness told investigators, but its backup lights and audible warning signal were both on. The witness continued driving down Route 30 and had stopped at the intersection of Route 30A when the limousine, its motor roaring like a jet engine, descended the hill at a high rate of speed."

This is a very detailed article - going to post again as I didn't see any comments.
DOT official: Limo company treated with 'kid gloves' despite violations

There is a detailed outline of the inspections, and a scathing critique of NYS and how they have not followed up after citing limo companies.

I think the statement from the witness shows the driver did try to avoid other vehicles but this is also extremely sad as there must have been time for those in the vehicle to know what was going on.

Thanks, @alibrarian, for the articles. We have seen some of them before, but the timeline in one article made me realize again how carelessly and blindly the limo company acted when the violations were listed and charged. It also showed how the gov't offices failed to follow up to make sure the infractions were corrected.
The State of NY has a Wrongful Death provision, and if I were a family member of one of the victims, I would be getting an attorney and going after the limo company right now.
Any type of payment by the limo company required by a WD conviction would probably be way beneath what it should be, IMO, because I can't imagine that the company had a lot of assets, but I would pursue it anyway, just to make sure they could never have another limo company.
And I hope all of the victims' family members would also bring WD lawsuits as well. This limo company must not do any more business in NY or anywhere, IMO.

Here's a bit about NY Wrongful Death law -- the article itself has good info about WD suits. This law does have a fairly typical 2-year statute of limitations.
-----------------------------------------------
Defining a "Wrongful Death" in New York

New York Estates, Powers, and Trusts Code Part 4 requires proof of five elements to establish a claim for wrongful death:

• a death,
  • caused by the wrongful conduct of the defendant,
  • giving rise to a cause of action the deceased could have pursued in court if death had not occurred
  • survival by one or more persons who have suffered a loss as the result of the death, and
  • damages the estate can recover.
-----------------------------------------------
Wrongful Death Lawsuits in New York

Thank you @borndem for the WD overview! As I live in NYS this is very interesting to me.

I a still stuck on the witness comment - that they limo was pulled over to the side of the road. If only they had just stopped. I can't get past this senseless tragedy and have been trying to check the news for updates. The article posted by @LLLindsayy was very good and had that great timeline. I am grateful the Albany Times continues to investigate this as it seems other news outlets have forgotten.

Thank you @borndem for the WD overview! As I live in NYS this is very interesting to me.

I a still stuck on the witness comment - that they limo was pulled over to the side of the road. If only they had just stopped. I can't get past this senseless tragedy and have been trying to check the news for updates. The article posted by @LLLindsayy was very good and had that great timeline. I am grateful the Albany Times continues to investigate this as it seems other news outlets have forgotten.
You're welcome, alib!! I'm hoping the families, spouses, etc., are already on their way to obtaining a WD suit. I don't think they will get much money since I think the limo service is operating on a weak thread -- and I hope I'm wrong. From what I have observed, the WD suits should come up on the state docket a few months before an actual trial, and I think it would certainly be so in this situation.
I am also SMH about the limo being pulled over on the side of the road. I wonder if anyone in the birthday party group asked the driver what was wrong with the limo regarding noise, and then asked the driver to slow the speed of the limo -- or if these questions were asked of the driver at any point in their drive to death. We certainly never know what may have been said to the driver, or each to each other during their last ride on earth. Grrrrrr.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if they were just barely pulled over just rolling forward, why on earth were they going so fast so soon after? Even with brake issues, they shouldn't have picked up that much speed so fast unless accelerating... and this driver would have been able to down shift to slow the speed as well.

It's from MSM but lots of speculation:

Records reveal mysterious life of FBI informant Shahed Hussain

After the crash, the lawyer stated Shahed Hussain would return if needed, now this article states he has no plans to return. I do find this odd, that someone that fled Pakistan reportedly from persecution, would willingly return.

Interesting new detail about his home, one of the fires and mysterious infusions of cash from newspaper and attorney investigations.

Note how many times "declined to comment" appear.

Wow. Great support from their dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member