Identified! NY - Yonkers, WhtFem 30-35, 1216UFNY, butterfly tattoo, 2 C-sections, Jun'92 - Meresa Hammonds

Happy to see Yonkers Jane Doe is identified. God speed Meresa, Condolences to her loved ones.

I totally agree with everyone. @CarlK90245 you did an amazing job with the recon!

Case Update: Yonkers Jane Doe Identified

December 7, 2021

Carl Koppelman, known for his reconstructions of John and Jane Does, has announced the identity of an unidentified female found deceased in a Yonkers, New York alley on June 27, 1992.

Known as the “Yonkers Jane Doe“, the deceased has been identified as 31-year-old Meresa Hammonds of New Jersey. Details surrounding the identification have yet to be announced. However, some information about her life has been shared on Carl’s Facebook page.

One of seven children, Meresa was born in Kentucky in April 1961. She spent the majority of her childhood in California, before relocating to Michigan when she was older. She eventually moved to New Jersey, where she and her sister worked as models.

At the time of her death, she was the mother of two sons.

Meresa is one of five victims of serial killer Robert Shulman, who confessed to her murder following his arrest on April 6, 1996. According to Shulman, he brought her back to his apartment, where they used crack cocaine. He then blacked out. He claimed that once he came to, Meresa was dead. He then proceeded to dismember her body before transporting her to the alley where she was discovered.

Shulman was sentenced to death in relation to another murder, but his sentence was changed to life without parole after New York overturned the death penalty in 2004. On April 13, 2006, he passed away of natural causes in prison.

One of seven children, Meresa was born in Kentucky in April 1961. She spent the majority of her childhood in California, before relocating to Michigan when she was older. She eventually moved to New Jersey, where she and her sister worked as models.

At the time of her death, she was the mother of two sons.

Wanted to pull this part out to give Meresa some of her humanity back. A daughter, a sister, a mother. She would only be 60 years old, maybe a grandmother now.

Does anyone have a subscription to Lohud? There is an article available for subscribers only.
c46e1a86-8a91-463e-81bc-5dd837a35152-MeresaHammonds.jpg

Photo from above.

Jason Di Trapani wasn’t exactly sure how he would find his mother’s grave at the Frederick Douglass Memorial Park in Staten Island.

Unlike most of the graves at this African American burial ground, the one holding the remains of Di Trapani’s mother was unmarked until cemetery workers put a small, flagpole stick there.

Di Trapani’s mother was not African American, but she was buried there in 1993 as a “Jane Doe,” eight months after she was found murdered, dismembered and placed in a Yonkers dumpster.

Her name was Meresa Hammonds; she was one victim of serial killer Robert Schulman, a Long Island postal worker.

“When I first arrived to the gravesite, it was hard,” Jason Di Trapani told WPIX, “because all I saw was the stick coming out of the ground.”

He’s hoping to get a headstone for his mother. “I want it to be a beautiful headstone, with her name on it, when she was born, when she passed away,” Di Trapani said.

Hammonds’ body was discovered in the dumpster on June 27, 1992. Detective John Geiss of the Yonkers Cold Case Squad started looking at her file in the year 2000.

“She still was a Jane Doe, and that’s not her name,” Geiss said. “I thought it was important for us, the City of Yonkers, to give her her name back.”

When Di Trapani found his mother’s unmarked grave, he initially stood over it and somberly clasped his hands together in prayer. Then, he knelt down, kissed his hand, and placed it over the stick that marked his mother’s gravesite.

Di Trapani has learned quite a bit about his mother since meeting her family over the holidays. She was born in Kentucky, lived in Michigan, and later did modeling with her sister.

Hammonds was living in Jersey City when she gave birth to two sons.

“This whole time, I didn’t have one family member that looked like me,” Di Trapani said. “Now, I have a whole bunch of people that I resemble.”
Son finds his mother was serial killer victim after DNA testing | KLAS

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back