NYC - Man dies from electrocution after urinating on subway's third rail

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Jul 8, 2013.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Man dies from electrocution while urinating on subway's third rail. (Daily Mail)
    more, with pictures, at the link

2. Loading...

3. waitin'4thewrld2chg

waitin'4thewrld2chg Active Member

4. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

That's too bad, he seems like a fun type of guy.

Why would anyone walk down there anyway?

5. CHERIE.T

CHERIE.T Former Member

There are places one shouldn't pee.

6. Nova

Nova Active Member

The guys on MYTHBUSTERS did a program on the urban legend of death by urination on "the third rail" and found it not to be true. What we see as a solid stream is actually a series of drops falling fast enough that they APPEAR to be solid. There's no way for the electricity to climb up, jumping from drop to drop.

Even if urine conducts electricity (which it may for all I know), you can not electrocute yourself by peeing, according to MYTHBUSTERS.

Of course, I can't verify their experiments, but I think it's at least possible the victim accidentally touched the live rail with his foot.

7. oh_gal

oh_gal New Member

So...pee away? :D

8. Nova

Nova Active Member

Not saying I'd risk it... :blushing:

(My training is in the arts, not sciences. I'm just reporting what they said on the TV show. I was surprised because I lived in NYC for a decade and heard lots of "peeing on the third rail" stories.)

9. Gardenlady

Gardenlady Active Member

I've also heard them around the Boston area.

And honestly, someone is peeing somewhere in some subway stations, because man, some of them absolutely reek. NYCs subways seem cleaner and far less sketchy than they used to be, but some of the Boston ones are still nasty and smell, especially in summer.

10. Nova

Nova Active Member

Oh, there are people peeing in the subways alright. (I haven't been to NYC in years, but when I left they had closed most or all of the subway restrooms.)

But to hit the third rail (at least in New York--I've ridden the T in Boston, but didn't notice the railings), one has to cross the subway tracks, if not actually stand on them.

So one is in plenty of danger, whether or not electrocution from a stream of urine is possible.