NYC plans to stop many marijuana arraignments

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Reader, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Reader

Reader New Member

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=<DA4EM02G2@news.ap.org>&ps=1011

NEW YORK (AP) — New York City plans to stop booking and arraigning many people arrested on low-level marijuana-possession charges............

People who get picked up on charges of having a small amount of marijuana will be released with desk appearance tickets if they have ID and no open warrants............little more at link.....

Mayor Bloomberg said change will begin next month....

2. Loading...

3. wishuwerehere

wishuwerehere New Member

I hope more cities and states decriminalize marijuana altogether. This will allow them to make room in the prisons for violent offenders.

4. little726

little726 New Member

It's about time!

5. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

I remember when Oregon became the first state to decriminalize cannabis in 1973. Now we're rolling, no pun intended!, I thought then. It's forty years later and only thirteen other states have followed suit.

6. txsvicki

txsvicki Active Member

7. Kimster

Kimster Former Member

Yes, it's been like this in Oregon for years and although I'm not in favor of legalizing marijuana per se, charging small amounts as a misdemeanor is completely logical. :alien: