NZ - Two Children's Remains Found in Suitcases Bought at Auction - Auckland *Mother Arrested*

I don't know why the names are suppressed. It could be standard, but I really don't know. It could be to protect the privacy of extended family.
From the NZ Community Law Manual online:

If you’re charged in the criminal courts, you may be able to get the judge to give you name suppression in some cases. The judge can order this if they’re satisfied that publishing your name would be likely to have one of the following effects:
  • cause “extreme hardship” to you, your family or others connected to you
  • put suspicion on someone else so that they’re caused “undue hardship”
  • cause undue hardship to a victim
  • create a real risk of you not getting a fair trial (for example, if your name is published it might influence potential jurors)
  • put someone in danger
  • lead to someone else who has name suppression being identified
  • interfere with the operation of the law (prejudice the maintenance of the law) or national security or defence.

Images in Korean media at the time of her arrest showed the woman, who South Korean police have identified only by her surname Lee, being led out of an Ulsan police station by plainclothes investigators, covering her head with a large brown coat.

Appearing at Manukau district court, Auckland, the 42-year-old stood quietly in the dock, wearing a light beige hooded jacket, before being remanded into custody without entering a plea.

She had arrived in New Zealand on Tuesday after being extradited by South Korean authorities, who said they had handed over “significant pieces of evidence” along with the suspect.

The woman’s identity will remain secret, at least until her next court appearance, which is scheduled for 14 December. She and the children are both covered by strict interim suppression orders preventing the publication of their names and some identifying details.

In court on Wednesday, she requested, via an interpreter, to speak to the judge but her lawyer intervened, saying: “Thank you, Your Honour. I think it would be best if perhaps she didn’t.” Judge Gus Andrēe Wiltens responded: “I agree.”

April 2024?
It is nearly 1,5 year from now.
Will she be imprisoned or on bail?

I think she will remain imprisoned for now. There is no mention of an application for bail yet, and seeing that she left and went to South Korea after the children were killed she might be refused bail if/when she applies for it.

This article says that there will be a hearing in February. This could be to make sure the matter is properly progressing toward the trial date ... that the police have turned over their brief of evidence to the defence, and any other matters that need pre-trial discussion.

Those poor children, how on earth (and why) did it happen? :(
The same reasons it always happens.

<modsnip> my interest in crime is to understand the reasons it happens so as to better protect those I love. <modsnip: generalized victim blaming>

HOWEVER - infanticide, even negligent infanticide is never ever ever the victims' fault in the slightest. I think that's why these kind of cases always have the most truly distraught Sleuths in them. To think about little children who know only that they need someone, their mommy to keep them safe and for that mother to kill them is contrary to one of the most basic natural instincts that the vast majority of us have. These people are truly monsters and I believe there is a special place in hell for them.

The woman, who has pleaded not guilty to the two charges, faced New Zealand's High Court on Monday.

Her lawyer, Chris Wilkinson-Smith, submitted an application for continued name suppression after Justice Anne Hinton refused to grant suppression back in March.

The appeal was once again made on the basis of extreme hardship and that the publication of the woman's name would risk her safety.

Mr Wilkinson-Smith claimed Justice Hinton did not take proper consideration of health reports when continued suppression was declined.

The Court of Appeal has reserved its decision.

During an appearance in court last week, the woman said she would prove her innocence as she was led back to her jail cell.

The children who were found dead, hidden inside suitcases for a number of years, can now be identified.
Coroner Tania Tetitaha said the children were Minu Jo, born March 2012, and Yuna Jo, born September 2009.

The children who were found dead, hidden inside suitcases for a number of years, can now be identified.
Coroner Tania Tetitaha said the children were Minu Jo, born March 2012, and Yuna Jo, born September 2009.

Seems that they have also zeroed in on when the children were killed.

Lee is charged with having killed both children in Manukau sometime between June 23 and June 27 in 2018, meaning they would have been dead for over four years at the time of the macabre discovery.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back