Observations About Boulder (and a theory)

Ave

Reaction score
I used to comment here a long time ago (2000-2001). I'm not surprised that the JonBenet case is still being debated even today.

I recently visited Boulder and was staying with some friends about a mile from JonBenet's house. I decided to go for a run one evening. Because it was after dark, my friends were emphatic that it was not safe. That piqued my curiosity since I've run in the dark in practically every major city in the USA. I asked why and my friend replied that Boulder is a university town and "weird things happen." Later, I mentioned the conversation to another friend, and she too was emphatic that I should not run at night in Boulder. Again I asked why and I got the exact same answer: "Boulder is a college town."

Women in Boulder apparently know that it's not wise to be out and about after dark even on the very nice residential streets where JonBenet lived. I jogged by the house several times and I did notice there are frat houses on the west end of the street.

I suppose it was just from knowing what happened in the house, but even in the daylight, the house does have a weird aura about it. At night it is practically camouflaged. It's set back from the street and is very dark. It is not impossible to imagine some crack head sneaking in and hanging out inside the house while the residents were away.

Furthermore, I have entertained the thought that JonBenet woke in the night, hungry, and went downstairs to get some pineapple, and there encountered the mysterious crack head. The crack head took her to the basement, raped her, killed her, and then wrote the ransom note and got out of there.

It's not a perfect scenario, but since I've seen the house and spent a few months in Boulder, it's actually more likely than I believed before.

I used to comment here a long time ago (2000-2001). I'm not surprised that the JonBenet case is still being debated even today.

I recently visited Boulder and was staying with some friends about a mile from JonBenet's house. I decided to go for a run one evening. Because it was after dark, my friends were emphatic that it was not safe. That piqued my curiosity since I've run in the dark in practically every major city in the USA. I asked why and my friend replied that Boulder is a university town and "weird things happen." Later, I mentioned the conversation to another friend, and she too was emphatic that I should not run at night in Boulder. Again I asked why and I got the exact same answer: "Boulder is a college town."

Women in Boulder apparently know that it's not wise to be out and about after dark even on the very nice residential streets where JonBenet lived. I jogged by the house several times and I did notice there are frat houses on the west end of the street.

I suppose it was just from knowing what happened in the house, but even in the daylight, the house does have a weird aura about it. At night it is practically camouflaged. It's set back from the street and is very dark. It is not impossible to imagine some crack head sneaking in and hanging out inside the house while the residents were away.

Furthermore, I have entertained the thought that JonBenet woke in the night, hungry, and went downstairs to get some pineapple, and there encountered the mysterious crack head. The crack head took her to the basement, raped her, killed her, and then wrote the ransom note and got out of there.

It's not a perfect scenario, but since I've seen the house and spent a few months in Boulder, it's actually more likely than I believed before.

Ummmm, I don't think so.....

Wow, that's insightful. Did you come up with that yourself?

Wow, that's insightful. Did you come up with that yourself?

No he needed help (lol).

I had never believed that JBR left her bed voluntarily because I read ligature fibers were found in her bed.

Having said that, I'm starting to believe the R's house and daughter was selected because of the favorable circumstances: No big dog, no active security system, and JBR was on a different floor. This was a nighttime crime where everybody was probably sleeping. Not snacking, arguing, abusing, or fighting. The cord aside, black duct tape is rare. Not normal household stuff and seems like the trappings of a criminal working at night.

For sure you're probably right, opportunity knocked for somebody.

Thank you for sharing your observations about Boulder. I have always been confused about Boulder. JonBenet's murder was the only one in 1996 and I'm pretty sure that the murder rate has not increased substantially since then. Boulder is also very wealthy; I believe the median home price is over $500k. Boulder definitely does not fit the definition of an unsafe city so I have always been confused to why people say Boulder isn't that nice. Is it because Boulder is always talked about as being the perfect city and since no place can be perfect, people start finding lots of different faults with it?

Oh look HOTYH, You found a friend to play with.

Thank you for sharing your observations about Boulder. I have always been confused about Boulder. JonBenet's murder was the only one in 1996 and I'm pretty sure that the murder rate has not increased substantially since then. Boulder is also very wealthy; I believe the median home price is over $500k. Boulder definitely does not fit the definition of an unsafe city so I have always been confused to why people say Boulder isn't that nice. Is it because Boulder is always talked about as being the perfect city and since no place can be perfect, people start finding lots of different faults with it?

Boulder is a different mindset. Coloradoans call it "the People's Republic of Boulder" :) Most people think Boulderites are "strange". A lot of people associate them with pot-smoking, tree-hugging hippies. The area attracts people that are interested in alternative medicines, religions, etc. Not sure why that is, but it is. Most people either love it or hate it. On the flip side, Boulder is a college town. That's where most of the news about Boulder is made. Those college kids are wild and crazy, so Boulder has had to create some laws to counter some of what the college kids do. As an example, I believe either last year or the year before, it became illegal in the City of Boulder to have a couch on your front porch. Stuff like that...oh - and most people there ride bicycles, and THEY own the road, lol. I don't live there, but I've been in Colorado most of my life, and this is the general attitude of outsiders.

Hope that helps a little with insight...

Bob...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! I don't think so either.

Ummmm, I don't think so.....

Me either. Crack heads look for MONEY. They want in and out fast. They don't take the time to stage a crime scene- they'd leave a body where it fell. They don't replace a pen and notepad, write an almost 4-page RN (in the mother's handwriting and leaving no prints). They also wouldn't put her all wrapped in her own blanket (which was in a basement dryer- how would they know that?)
That being said- college towns DO have more of certain crimes- incidents involving drinking, robbery, vandalism. College campuses are open- very little security as far as the grounds are concerned. Sketchy characters can often blend in pretty easily with the student body.
I just find it very hard to imagine ANY intruder committing this crime and leave no trace apart from DNA on her clothing only. If THAT DNA were connected to the crime, it would have to be elsewhere IN THE CRIME SCENE. The garrote- the tape, the paint tote, basement door knobs, etc. Certainly the basement window if that is to be taken seriously as an entry/exit (I don't). One place for sure- the little wooden latch that secured the WC door. Whoever put her in there HAD to touch that latch, either on the way in, out or both. Why isn't the DNA there? Or traces of powder from a latex glove? Crack heads don't usually carry around latex gloves, though Patsy used them when dyeing her hair, I doubt they'd go to the 3rd floor parents' bathroom to get them.

NO ligature fibers were found in her bed.
Hemp rope fibers were said to be found there. There was a hemp rope found in JAR's room next to JB's room. There is some confusion about the brown paper bag, as to whether it was already in the bag when found or if was placed into the bag as evidence.

I lived in Boulder for three years from 2002-2005 and I walked and rode my bicycle at night (I am not a runner). My husband and I and our three little children lived just below the University (actually in a little white house right next to the Freshman dorms- boy was that an experience) and across the street from Boulder High. Boulder is an extremely safe city and I never worried for myself or my family day or night. We were about a mile away from the Ramsey's but my closest friend lived just several streets over and she is a runner and she often ran at night (in good weather that is). My friend has been in Boulder for years now- went to college there, graduated, completed her masters, got married started a Non Profit and had her children, she and her husband have been there for going on 20 years now. I can't even recall a rape on or around campus while we lived there? Funny how different peoples perspectives are in regards to this. I was just back there for a week this summer and feel like not much has changed. I completely disagree with the crackhead theory for a number of reasons~ Frigga

Having said that, I'm starting to believe the R's house and daughter was selected because of the favorable circumstances: No big dog, no active security system, and JBR was on a different floor.

Now you'll have to explain how the person KNEW all of that.

Let's see: crackhead, pedophile, kidnapper, killer and all in a small foreign faction. Have I left anything out? This was truly a multi-faceted faction. Makes one wonder what they are up to these days.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!! And HOTYH say RDI is all fiction. Jumpin G Jehoshaphat!!!

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!! And HOTYH say RDI is all fiction. Jumpin G Jehoshaphat!!!

Yeah. My mother used to warn me about throwing stones in a glass house. He's using catapults at this point!

Well I work in law enforcement and I've seen crack heads do all kinds of stupid things. Meth heads too. You can't say they just want money and to get in and get out. People never fail to surprise me with their motives and, often, their stupidity.

Well I work in law enforcement and I've seen crack heads do all kinds of stupid things. Meth heads too. You can't say they just want money and to get in and get out. People never fail to surprise me with their motives and, often, their stupidity.

I've never read a more true statement, but I'm afraid there is not enough evidence to support your theory. This is, of course my own opinion, but crack heads and meth heads are for one, not disciplined to be quiet for that long, the bowl of pineapple had Patsy and Burkes fingerprints on it, but not JonBenet's. There is much more than that to the case IMHO.

Crackhead?

Reminds me of the sketch done on a possible suspect....looked like John Ramsey on crack!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back