Off the fence?

Ron Walker was an FBI man who was there at the house on 12/26/96. He said this:
"Well, as much as it pains me to say it, yes, I've seen parents who have decapitated their children, I've seen cases where parents have drowned their children in bathtubs, I've seen cases where parents have strangled their children, have placed them in paper bags and smothered them, have strapped them in car seats and driven them into a body of water, any way that you can think of that a person can kill another person, almost all those ways are also ways that parents can kill their children."

That "decapitated" one got me.

JMO8778 said:
It's amazing that it's known they lied about that,the pineapple,the 911 call, and everything else they so blantantly lied about and yet stayed out of jail.
And if this is true what does that tell you?

4sure said:
G-U-I-L-T-Y.
OMG,I can only imagine the looks on the White's faces, as well as everyone at the party that night,when they read the part about JB's shirt in DOI.(I'm assuming some of them surely did).Esp. the White's ...their jaws probably dropped to the ground and couldn't be picked up for a week.
I bet there are pics of JB in the red shirt being held as evidence,but ST of course didn't let on about it.Make the R's wonder, I like it.lol.
I'm appalled they could so blantantly lie and get away with it,in print no less. :/

capps said:
Yes,I did see the movie,and when I saw that part,I wondered why I watched the movie at all.When they showed the picture,the background voice said it was the last picture of Patsy and JonBenet taken together. As we all know,and saw, the last pic of them together,was the two of them Christmas day morning in their night clothes.The movie had them in the same position as that morning picture,but both wearing red turtle necks.It's not the truth,it's called sensationalism.I was very disappointed in Schiller.
My second thought on that is that perhaps he was sending a message of sorts to the audience..iow,she really did wear the red shirt that day,and there is a pic to prove it.

4sure said:
I can imagine the look on Team Ramsey's face when they first got wind of the pineapple ..esp. that Lin Wood,he must have been thinking: <mental note> ..Next time be sure to ASK if victim had anything to eat!!! :doh:

JMO8778 said:
G-U-I-L-T-Y.
OMG,I can only imagine the looks on the White's faces, as well as everyone at the party that night,when they read the part about JB's shirt in DOI.(I'm assuming some of them surely did).Esp. the White's ...their jaws probably dropped to the ground and couldn't be picked up for a week.
I bet there are pics of JB in the red shirt being held as evidence,but ST of course didn't let on about it.Make the R's wonder, I like it.lol.
I'm appalled they could so blantantly lie and get away with it,in print no less. :/
No, if what you said about their lies is true, what it tells you is someone is helping them stay out of jail.

SuperDave said:
Yeah, the DA's office! We knew that!
Yes but what we need to know is why. What is it they are protecting? No one is going to cover up the murder of a child and risk going to jail out of the goodness of their heart.

Hunter was old friends with Hal Haddon, of the Denver law firm Haddon, Morgan, & Foreman (hired by John Ramsey for defense.) They are politically as well as socially connected and this connection has been the cause of much speculation about why Hunter's office continually treated the Ramseys with special consideration.

On top of that, Hunter (and his protege Mary Lacy) had a reputation for being less than aggressive in prosecuting cases. Hunter in particular received a lot of criticism for his inactivity and penchant for letting people off very easy.

Here:

http://crimemagazine.com/jonbenet.htm

A Weak D.A.

While widespread allegations of political manipulation by former District Atty. Alex Hunter are warranted as an explanation for inaction in the JonBenet case, the truth may be simpler: Hunter has a long record of being a weak prosecutor who rarely goes to trial, and often infuriates the police because of the lenient sentences he is willing to plea bargain down to. The Boulder police suspected for some time that Hunter was hoping to work out a plea bargain in the JonBenet Ramsey murder case. That, of course, is based on the police belief that Patsy Ramsey committed the crime and that her husband conspired with her to cover-up the murder.

In addition to having a reputation in many quarters as being lazy and weak, Alex Hunter is that rare breed – a district attorney who is a true 1960s liberal. When Hunter first ran for the D.A.'s office in 1972, he vowed he would pursue rehabilitation rather than punishment. After six terms as prosecuting attorney, Hunter still believes strongly in rehabilitation, even for the most serious offenders. After 28 years as prosecutor, Hunter has never put a defendant on death row.

His actions as prosecutor have often caused criticism to rain down on him.

1981: In a highly publicized case, Hunter charged Christopher Courtney with second-degree murder after Courtney shot two people dead at the Longmont Civic Center. When the first trial ended in a mistrial, Hunter reduced the charge to criminally negligent homicide and Courtney walked away with a two-year sentence in the county jail. That generated cries of dismay from the mayor and city council.

1982: Kirk Long resigned as undersheriff. Long penned a letter at that time that sounds chillingly reminiscent of that written in 1998 by Det. Steve Thomas. The letter said, in part: "We in America have a legal system that is designed to be adversarial. It is apparent to me that the only adversary relationships within the legal system of the 20th Judicial District are the relationships between law enforcement agencies and the office of the District Attorney. The ignoring of compelling physical evidence, the artificial bolstering of conviction statistics through plea bargaining, deferred prosecutions, and deferred sentences speaks loudly of incompetence and political maneuvering. The essence of my belief is that the citizens of Boulder County do not have an advocate in the judicial system."

1985: In a foot-dragging case reminiscent of the Ramsey investigation, it took Hunter more than two years to charge Mike Grainger with a crime, even though Grainger's obese wife was found laying in bed with a massive head wound, and there was no evidence of an intruder. Grainger got three years.

1992: The Rape Crisis Team, part of the Mental Health Center of Boulder County, penned a report, "Sexual Assault in Boulder County: The Crimes and Their Consequences." The report showed that, in 1990, of 60 cases involving children, 42 abusers avoided serving any time at all, three went to a halfway house, 13 served county jail time (half of those with work-release) and only one was sentenced to state prison.

1986: In his last major case, Hunter was named special prosecutor in neighboring Adams County to try the sheriff there, Bert Johnson. The sheriff was charged with extortion, embezzlement and sexual misconduct. Hunter offered to dismiss all charges if Johnson would resign from office, but the judge rejected the deal. Hunter lost the case at trial. He decided never to try another case.

Hunter, who did not seek re-election in 2000, made a lot of enemies over the years, but they were never able to do him in politically. Ordinarily, in a case such as JonBenet's, the danger to a prosecutor perceived as shirking his duty comes from the parents. In the Ramsey case everything is twisted. The parents – who have considerable power – have showered praise on the "professionalism" of Hunter's office and scorn on the Boulder Police Department. According to Det. Thomas, Hunter and his staff are the only reason the Ramseys have avoided indictment.

So...ineffective if not corrupt DA all buddy-buddy with the lawyers of a wealthy and affluent couple willing to spend any cost to be spared prison = getting away with murder, no matter how many times the parents get caught lying.

Nuisanceposter said:
So...ineffective if not corrupt DA all buddy-buddy with the lawyers of a wealthy and affluent couple willing to spend any cost to be spared prison = getting away with murder, no matter how many times the parents get caught lying.
Great post Nuisanceposter and I sure wouldn't argue with you about Mr. Hunter and his record. My guess is that if Mr. Hunter is so corrupt he has been given or at least "set up" for his job by even more corrupt people. I also think you overestimate the R's power and influence as a "wealthy and affluent couple". Wealthy, affluent. powerful people with influence don't have to run away to another city.

It's the "wealth" part, 4sure, the bank account that gets the attention and cooperation of the well-connected people who have been giving the Rs the velvet treatment all this time. They never could have gotten anywhere if they hadn't the blunt to get the ball rolling...and keep it in motion. Knowing the right people helped as well - that's the "affluent" part. The need to run away was just a sign of guilt. They sure weren't scared of this intruder, with the way they sent Burke out of the house on 12/26 and then sent him right back to school.

Nuisanceposter said:
It's the "wealth" part, 4sure, the bank account that gets the attention and cooperation of the well-connected people who have been giving the Rs the velvet treatment all this time. They never could have gotten anywhere if they hadn't the blunt to get the ball rolling...and keep it in motion. Knowing the right people helped as well - that's the "affluent" part. The need to run away was just a sign of guilt. They sure weren't scared of this intruder, with the way they sent Burke out of the house on 12/26 and then sent him right back to school.
:clap:

Nuisanceposter said:
It's the "wealth" part, 4sure, the bank account that gets the attention and cooperation of the well-connected people who have been giving the Rs the velvet treatment all this time. They never could have gotten anywhere if they hadn't the blunt to get the ball rolling...and keep it in motion. Knowing the right people helped as well - that's the "affluent" part..
Nusisanceposter to "surpress evidence" is a crime. Wealthy well connected people are already wealthy and well connected. They don't need to risk going to jail for money. They may however risk it to stay out of jail.

More than one person has suggested that Hunter be brought up on charges of malfeasance and obstruction of justice.

Great post Nuisanceposter and I sure wouldn't argue with you about Mr. Hunter and his record. My guess is that if Mr. Hunter is so corrupt he has been given or at least "set up" for his job by even more corrupt people. I also think you overestimate the R's power and influence as a "wealthy and affluent couple". Wealthy, affluent. powerful people with influence don't have to run away to another city.

It's not even that. Think what kind of town Boulder is.

"Careful" is not the word I would use to describe his practice!

"Weak," "cowardly," and "incompetent" come much more easily.

Don't tell me you believe DeMyth's malarky? Steve Thomas, Chief Beckner, Henry Lee, the "Dream Team" lawyers, Michael Kane, even Alex Hunter have put the lie to his assertion.

Don't forget: Mr. DeMuth decided, on his own, before any evidence was even in, that the Ramseys were innocent, based on nothing but his own wishful thinking. He tried to tank the case the police were building at every turn. The FBI was sickened by his lack of professionalism. That tell you anything?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back