OH - 6-month old baby in critical condition after being intentionally shot in head by grandmother - 12/10/23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Clearsky

Reaction score

LIBERTY TOWNSHIP, Ohio (WXIX) -A grandmother is under arrest after deliberately shooting her six-month-old grandchild in the head and critically injuring her early Saturday, according to Butler County Sheriff Richard Jones.

Mia Desiree Harris, 42, fled the scene in the 6800 block of Dutchview Court around 1:50 a.m. but was later apprehended a short time later after she pulled over on northbound Interstate 75 near Kyles Station Road, according to the sheriff’s office and police radio reports.

1702177300848.png

its really hard to tell...in medicine, the face is sometimes referred to as the "crumple zone" i.e. it absorbs much of the impact. but...a babys face is teeny tiny. the bullet must have reached the brain. i dont have a lot of hope :(
Also, there's zero chance a six month old could see the gun and duck, run, or shield themselves with their arms. She would have just been sat or laid there. And I doubt the shooter stood a long distance away to do it. Frankly, I'm shocked she wasn't killed instantly. If she survives, the effects will surely be lifelong, however long that is.

MOO

I wanna cry. How could she? I don’t know what to say. I am crying, I really didn’t want to start my day this way. Now I’m just getting mad at the craziness of our world.

eta:
“It wasn’t an accident. It was on purpose,” Jones told WXIX. “This is one of the most disgusting, vile criminal acts I’ve ever seen, shooting a 6-month-old baby. What makes it even worse is this is the baby’s grandmother.”

The baby was flown to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center in Avondale. She underwent two surgeries and remained in critical condition Saturday night, according to the sheriff.

“The baby is hanging onto life as we speak. It’s in God’s hands now. We should all pray for this 6-month-old baby,” Jones said. “Imagine doing surgery on that small of a child, where these crazy people do these things to kids. It’s disgusting, and it’s one of the worst things I’ve seen.”

Jones says several family members got into an argument before Harris grabbed the weapon. She allegedly shot at and missed her daughter before shooting her granddaughter.

“She went and shot this child and doesn’t appear to have any remorse whatsoever,” Jones said. “I feel sorry for the baby, the family, everybody that’s dealing with this. The doctors, the life squad people, the deputies, everybody. This is as bad as it gets.”
*was she arguing with her daughter and took it out on baby?

Last edited:
I wanna cry. How could she? I don’t know what to say. I am crying, oh crap I really didn’t want to start my day this way. Now I’m just getting mad at the craziness of our world.
Take a breath, take a break, if you need to.

This baby is getting the best of care possible. The person who did it is in custody. It's awful, but there is nothing to sleuth here. Just heartache.

I know there's an urge to bear witness to all the horrible things, but put your own oxygen mask on first, honey. I know it's hard to put yourself first, but it's vital. <3

Imagine someone shoots at you and then shoots your baby, and you can't ever receive even the smallest comfort from your mother... because she was the shooter.

I just hope the baby's mama is surrounded by so much love.
I can't understand, because I've never been where she is right now, but I think I'd just be completely numb, sat at my baby's cotside, wondering when I was going to wake up. What a nightmare. Strength and support to her; however this plays out, it's going to be a long hard road for her.

MOO

its really hard to tell...in medicine, the face is sometimes referred to as the "crumple zone" i.e. it absorbs much of the impact. but...a babys face is teeny tiny. the bullet must have reached the brain. i dont have a lot of hope :(
I don't know anything about this story, but years ago, I volunteered on our local ambulance, and we were called to an accident where a baby was on its grandmother's lap in the front seat of a car, and a truck hit the car, and baby went through the windshield. It landed on the asphalt and cracked its head open. A little bit of its brain was on the asphalt.

I thought the baby would die, but I heard about a year later that she lived, and not only that -- but she was not disabled. A doctor explained to us that sometimes, when a brain injury occurs in an infant, other parts of the brain will take over for the damaged part.

That might be totally different from this incident, but remember what the doctor told us gives me a glimmer of hope for this wee one.

Is the instigator (don't wanna call her Grandma!) wearing a suicide smack in the mug shot?

jmho ymmv lrr
Looks like.

TBH, I'm struggling to think of a case I've followed lately where the arrestee wasn't in one in the early days and weeks post-arrest. They seem to be becoming pretty standard for people arrested for violent and/or serious offences.

MOO

wow. I don't even know how to process this. I don't throw the word evil around often on this site but I really don't know any other word to describe a grandmother who attempts to shoot her own daughter and when she misses intentionally and with premeditation shoots her infant grandchild in the head.

EVIL is all I've got to describe that sort of person.

wow. I don't even know how to process this. I don't throw the word evil around often on this site but I really don't know any other word to describe a grandmother who attempts to shoot her own daughter and when she misses intentionally and with premeditation shoots her infant grandchild in the head.

EVIL is all I've got to describe that sort of person.
I'm so dang speechless .prayers of the strength for the baby and family and may justice be swift. I just can't call the shooter grandma that's a insult to me and every other grandma out there.jmoo my very honest opinion. May that little keep on fighting

"We all love her. She's just a joy," said the baby's maternal grandmother, April Traynor. "She's going to need a lot of prayers and a lot of healing."

The baby's paternal grandmother, Mia Harris, is accused of intentionally shooting the infant inside an apartment on Dutchview Court in Liberty Township.

"My momma shot my niece," one 911 caller said.

Another 911 call was placed by the infant's mother.

"Someone shot my baby. Hurry, please," she said.

Harris is accused of intentionally shooting the baby in the head, at close range, according to court documents.

Mia Desiree Harris shot her granddaughter in her eye at an apartment on Dutchview Court early Saturday after firing the gun at other relatives, including the baby’s mother, during an argument, according to Butler County Sheriff Richard Jones.

Court records released Monday reveal Harris, 43, “knowingly caused serious physical harm” to her granddaughter “by breaking down a locked bedroom door after firing a handgun through it multiple times.”

Harris tried to shoot the baby’s mother in the head, but missed, and then shot the child in the head at close range ”as the infant laid on the bed,” a criminal complaint states.

“My baby’s been shot. My baby’s been shot,” the mother said frantically while holding her baby during a 911 call.

Harris also allegedly punched one person in the face with a fist.

“The baby is in grave condition,” a prosecutor told the judge when Harris made her first court appearance in the case.

The baby was initially taken to University of Cincinnati West Chester Hospital and then flown to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center in Avondale.

She underwent two surgeries and remains at the hospital in critical condition.

The sheriff’s office said over the weekend the baby is 6 months old, but court records released Monday state she is just over 5 months old.

At her preliminary hearing, Detective Daniel Turner testified that Mia Harris shot her granddaughter in the head.

"I asked her, 'Why her grandbaby?' And she said, 'That was not my grandbaby.' And at one point she said, 'Sorry, not sorry,'" Turner said.

He said before Harris shot the baby she dragged a family member out of bed and assaulted her. He said it woke everyone up in the house. Turner said two family members then locked themselves in a room with the baby.

Turner said Harris entered the room and shot the baby's mother in the head. The bullet grazed their head and they were treated at the hospital. Turner said Harris then shot the 6-month-old lying on the bed. Harris then picked her up and handed her to the baby’s mother and smiled before leaving the house, Turner said.

According to an incident report from the Butler County Sheriff's Office, when police found Harris she was driving the wrong way on I-75 and refused to stop for deputies. She eventually led deputies back to the home where the shooting happened and was arrested, the report says.

Turner interviewed Harris at the sheriff’s office. He said Harris said she didn’t want to talk but eventually did.

“[She said] her family was trying to take all of her money and then leave and she was not going to allow that to happen. They crucified her, so she crucified them,” Turner said.
Detective: Liberty Township grandmother said 'sorry not sorry' after shooting 6-month-old granddaughter

At her preliminary hearing, Detective Daniel Turner testified that Mia Harris shot her granddaughter in the head.

"I asked her, 'Why her grandbaby?' And she said, 'That was not my grandbaby.' And at one point she said, 'Sorry, not sorry,'" Turner said.

He said before Harris shot the baby she dragged a family member out of bed and assaulted her. He said it woke everyone up in the house. Turner said two family members then locked themselves in a room with the baby.

Turner said Harris entered the room and shot the baby's mother in the head. The bullet grazed their head and they were treated at the hospital. Turner said Harris then shot the 6-month-old lying on the bed. Harris then picked her up and handed her to the baby’s mother and smiled before leaving the house, Turner said.

According to an incident report from the Butler County Sheriff's Office, when police found Harris she was driving the wrong way on I-75 and refused to stop for deputies. She eventually led deputies back to the home where the shooting happened and was arrested, the report says.

Turner interviewed Harris at the sheriff’s office. He said Harris said she didn’t want to talk but eventually did.

“[She said] her family was trying to take all of her money and then leave and she was not going to allow that to happen. They crucified her, so she crucified them,” Turner said.
Detective: Liberty Township grandmother said 'sorry not sorry' after shooting 6-month-old granddaughter
Speechless. I hope that woman gets locked away for a very long time jmoo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SERE1
Back