OH - Amish on Amish crime on rise; loss of beards, hair, reported during break-ins

It's in the Crimes in the news section.

I would link it but I'm on Tapatalk on my phone and I don't know how.
:smile:

I haven't heard anything about this, and I live about 10 minutes away from Trumbull County! (There are Amish where I live, as well, although I am not in an affected county).

I'm going searching...

ETA: I have last week's copy of The Budget here (newspaper of the Amish and Mennonites, it includes letters written by "scribes" from Amish and Mennonite settlements all over the US, Canada, and some missionary outposts -- (it only comes out weekly, and yesterday's edition hadn't made it up here yet). I'll see if there's anything in there -- not quite sure how long this has been going on, or when these attacks happened...but there might be something there.

Nothing in that issue of The Budget. I'll try to pick up another copy this weekend.

www.thebudgetnewspaper.com

The Amish have an online newspaper?! :waitasec: Why?

I am not understanding the hair and beard cutting? Is this to disgrace or humiliate an Amish person?

My father grew up near Lancaster, PA and worked on Amish farms growing up. I just spoke to him on the phone and he said this would be very humiliating for the men and women this was done to.

I think the "Bergholz Clan" is, in addition to being from the area of Bergholz, a group of people that have fallen out of the good graces of the mainstream Amish community. We see similiar groups here: The Beachy Amish -- they're "Amish"...kind of. They drive cars, but the cars must be painted black, including the bumpers (no shiny parts on the car). We also have New Order Amish, which are more liberal than the Old Order Amish that most people are familiar with (and most of the Amish ficition out there is based upon.) The Beachy's are like the black sheep, I guess you could say, like the Bergholz seem to be.

BBM

When we'd go and visit our grandparents near Lancaster I saw a car painted black and the chrome bumpers were black and the chrome sideview mirrors were painted black over the chrome. The funny thing was it was a Mercedes Benz. :giggle:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ous-attacks-renegade-cult-Ohio-community.html

Again, the Daily Mail seems to have more info than anyone else. How does this happen?

Like Murdoch's group they probably tap cell phones.

Inside the world of the Amish 'beard cutters': Meet the 'cult leader' with 18 children
who forces men to live in chicken coops if they misbehave (and takes their wives away)

He takes the wives of men who upset him and cast them out to the chicken coop in the bitterest of winters while ruling his cult with an iron fist.

It may sound like something from biblical times, but in fact it is accusations which have been made against Amish bishop Sam Mullet, 66, who is said to have been behind the beard cutting gang who are due to go on trial for aggravated burglary and kidnapping.

The recent bizarre attacks have thrust this ferociously private community into the spotlight, with horror stories emerging of rape, beatings, brainwashing and kidnapping.
---
lengthy & rather astonishing article about Sam Mullet & Co. at Daily Mail link above, with many pictures of course

What's this;

Clip clop, clip clop, clip clop, BANG! BANG! BANG! Clip clop, clip clop, clip clop...

An Amish drive by shooting.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

The online version of The Budget is mainly for subscriptions -- starting and renewing, I think, Steely. Although, you'd be amazed at how tech-savvy the Amish are getting...they're surfing all over the internet at the library (I've seen it with my own eyes!).

Hope the bishop is incarcerated one day. And I hope they will put him in with Warren Jeffs. The two would make an excellent couple. Of course if they didn't kill each other over their religion, they might develop a plot to take over the country.

He really does remind me a lot of WJ.

Oh and I wanted to comment on how he justified the actions of his gang. Paraphrasing. He didn't order it, but it was done because his group was being treated badly. I think I know why. They didn't want anything to do with him cause he is nuts.

Amish beard-cutting attacks uncover suspected cult (CNN)
---
[Aden] Troyer believes that he and his wife were lured into a cult made up of breakaway members of the larger Amish community near Bergholz in rural eastern Ohio. He said it was – and still is – ruled with an iron fist by his former father-in-law, Sam Mullet, a man who Troyer and others say is anything but a typical Amish leader.

They say Mullet has created rules and punishments for breaking those rules that Amish folks had never heard of before.
---
"The way he's been treating and talking to people, he is not an Amish guy," Troyer said. "He is not your typical peaceful, loving Amish person."
---
long article, with pictures, at link above

This whole thing is very sad, the Amish were a people many of us respected for their peaceful stance, work ethic, and perceived wholesome way of life. To read about this "cult", an old man being allowed to wreck havoc, makes me sick.

IMO the Amish should still be respected. There is good and bad amongst every group and every religion.

Amazingly,we are hearing nothing of this on local news. Funny, that.

I believe Steubenville reported it, on Channel 9. I know what you mean though ~ I first found out about this on Websleuths.

Good place for these Mullets: behind bars.

Here are the masterminds behind this;

article-2077032-0F3E9A7700000578-692_468x286.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/12/21/article-2077032-0F3E9A7700000578-692_468x286.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back