OH OH - Amy Mihaljevic, 10, Bay Village, 27 Oct 1989

I vaguely remember reading about this case but watch the dateline episode last night. A few things stuck out at me.

I actually thought the most important clue was the very similar phone calls to other girls in the area. What I personally to deduce from that is that he did not have to know Amy's mother specifically, but that he was very likely lurking in the neighborhood to see which houses had girls who were alone on a regular basis. From there it would be a simple thing to get a phonebook (remember this was 1989) and look up a phone number or use a reverse lookup service. He could've gotten a last name from a piece of mail, but it is also possible that he lived in the neighborhood and knew people that lived there. It was very clear that he was so meticulous planner, and had fantasized about a crime like this for a long time.

Although the green curtain is certainly a good clue and will definitely be important in leading to a conviction, I'm not sure that it after all this time somebody would remember it.

This killer was extremely manipulative and clever. Chilling.

I vaguely remember reading about this case but watch the dateline episode last night. A few things stuck out at me.

I actually thought the most important clue was the very similar phone calls to other girls in the area. What I personally to deduce from that is that he did not have to know Amy's mother specifically, but that he was very likely lurking in the neighborhood to see which houses had girls who were alone on a regular basis. From there it would be a simple thing to get a phonebook (remember this was 1989) and look up a phone number or use a reverse lookup service. He could've gotten a last name from a piece of mail, but it is also possible that he lived in the neighborhood and knew people that lived there. It was very clear that he was so meticulous planner, and had fantasized about a crime like this for a long time.

Although the green curtain is certainly a good clue and will definitely be important in leading to a conviction, I'm not sure that it after all this time somebody would remember it.

This killer was extremely manipulative and clever. Chilling.

It may be a clue. It's possible he tried to trick other girls.

With Amy, he pretended to be her mother's boss. He knew the name of her boss and where she worked. At the time, Bay Village published a local phone directory that contained the names, addresses and phone numbers of all residents, including the names of their children. After Amy's abduction, they stopped publishing the names of children.

Several months ago (check posts farther back) there was a news report about a tip sent to police from a woman who believed her former boyfriend was the killer. She claimed he met Amy's mother in a local bar where she used to hang out (this is briefly touched on in the Dateline episode when Amy's dad says their marriage was ending when Amy was abducted. Her mom was developing a drinking problem). Sitting on a barstool in a local bar, talking is a good way to find out where someone works, new promotion, what kids names are, etc.

Yes, the FBI said the killer used a lot of planning, was very bold.

The sketch is probably also accurate. It came from two kids on opposite ends of the sidewalk where Amy met the stranger that day. Both descriptions were fairly similar. Someone knows who this person is. He may still be living in the area. He was probably local, but not someone familiar to the school kids at Bay Plaza who saw him that day.

Last edited:
Just watched it. Lots of heartbreaking details. I sure hope a tip comes in and Amy finally gets justice. I keep coming back to wondering if the killer knows the immeasurable suffering he has caused all for his own disgusting pleasure; what kind of person destroys an innocent child and dumps their body in a field after having her call her mom to make sure she doesn't worry obviously acknowledging Amy had a family that loved her. It is sickening.

I've been hoping the Dateline appeal would solve this. It's not looking good.

They have a suspect now.

BAY VILLAGE, Ohio — In an investigation that’s been ongoing for 31 years, physical evidence, witness accounts and suspicious statements are among the new developments found in court documents recently filed in connection with the kidnapping and murder case of Amy Mihaljevic.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news...pments-in-amy-mihaljevic-murder-investigation

They have a suspect now.

BAY VILLAGE, Ohio — In an investigation that’s been ongoing for 31 years, physical evidence, witness accounts and suspicious statements are among the new developments found in court documents recently filed in connection with the kidnapping and murder case of Amy Mihaljevic.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news...pments-in-amy-mihaljevic-murder-investigation

That was back in February and we haven't heard anything about it since. I know it takes time building a case, but they didn't sound like they were close at all on the Dateline episode. I'm starting to think those details were just a ratings grab by the local news station.

That was back in February and we haven't heard anything about it since. I know it takes time building a case, but they didn't sound like they were close at all on the Dateline episode. I'm starting to think those details were just a ratings grab by the local news station.

I thought the tip sounded pretty solid. I hope they continue to pursue it.

I'm just distraught sometimes that we're this far out, 32 years, and this close to answers maybe, and just kind of still in this limbo.

Please, if you read this, and you are or were a local when Amy went missing, think back on that day. Think back on everything. Think about who you know that matched that suspect description. Or who maybe acted inappropriately around young girls. Or about any reports of friends who received weird phone calls. Anybody undergo major life changes/stressors in 1989? Anybody who suddenly altered their routine or behavior or changed their appearance after Amy went missing? Anybody who acts weirdly around the anniversary of Amy's disappearance?

If anything at all might be relevant, reach out to BVPD. They don't bite. They won't call you stupid or silly. They'll take your information and then they'll take it from there.

And if you did this, and you've held this in all these years, it's time to lay that burden down. The weight of that secret you have carried must be enormous. I imagine you have rationalized keeping quiet for a number of reasons. But none of that has brought relief to you. Do the right thing. It's not too late. Call BVPD, tell what you know. Give the rest to God.

I imagine you have rationalized keeping quiet for a number of reasons.

I wonder about this. Some people probably do have someone suspicious in the back of their mind, but found some other way to rationalize their odd behavior, going missing, resembling the photo. They may say to themselves "Oh, it was probably that other guy they had under suspicion who later killed himself" or something similar. As horrible as it may be to submit a tip on a friend or family member, you have to do it.

People can't rationalize this by saying to themselves "Well, it won't help to ruin the life of (suspect). It won't bring Amy back. That's not accurate.

RPV7L4HB7RANFMJLZO6SMCMNTE.jpg

DSCN6114-1.jpg

Sorry if this has been covered but…..how do we reconcile the blankets found near where she was found, that were ultimately tied to her and her home?

I can’t understand how, if meeting in a shopping center, Amy would have brought those along... They’re big an cumbersome? I’m confused by this.

RPV7L4HB7RANFMJLZO6SMCMNTE.jpg

DSCN6114-1.jpg

They weren't tied to her home IMO, they were tied through physical and biological evidence to her. (For example, if her dog's hairs were on her/her clothes, and got transferred to the curtain even though the dog itself was never near the curtain.) I think the investigative theory is that her body was transported in this curtain at some point, due to her own hairs being located on it.

When originally found, this curtain was at some distance from her body and I think technology was not at a level where they could definitively conclude that the biological material on it was Amy's. When technology improved, they were able to make that determination and shared info about the curtain at that time.

Police would not be asking for help identifying these if they knew they came from Amy's home. Instead, they are looking to use these to identify her killer.

Last edited:
So Mean, Allegedly is covering this case. Gray Hughes and Chasing Truth are friends of WS

I wonder if any podcaster folks have considered calling the Bay Village police chief in charge during Amy's disappearance and for several years after. Pretty sure he still lives in the area. His name is William (Bill) Gareau. Nice guy who had an extremely difficult job when Amy was kidnapped.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back