OH OH - Amy Mihaljevic, 10, Bay Village, 27 Oct 1989

Any thoughts that there may have been a “pedophile ring” at work in this area in the 1980’s? Possibly one suspect kidnaps and then another takes over at a different location?
Just thinking aloud ....

Wow, just Wow.

I can't believe the prosecutor's office has been sitting on this for nearly 2 years now.

BVPD needs to get someone experienced to find this guy and interrogate him in a way that he tells the full truth. An experienced interrogator can do that in a very safe, low key way.

According to court records, those included that 1989 and 1990 was a “dark period” in his life, and that the man indicated that he may have met Amy’s mother, Margaret, in a bar.

"The detective wrote that when asked if he ever called Amy Mihaljevic prior to her abduction, the man answered, “ I could have” and that “it could have been a wrong number.”

Police said when they asked the man if Amy was in his car he said “I don’t believe so,” but when they asked again if it was possible, they said the man said “okay, but I don’t know what the situation would have been.”

The detective said the man agreed it was possible that his DNA would be on a curtain found near Amy’s body, but said “I did not put it there,” and that his DNA would be on Amy’s body “if somebody planted it on her.”

Investigators said the man agreed to a DNA swab and a polygraph test.

Police said the results of the polygraph test were “deception indicated.”

The man's girlfriend at the time called and reported her suspicions to police in 2019. The man owned the same type of car with upholstery that nught have matched fibers found on Amy. He admitted his DNA might be on the curtain found with her body.

The man's appearance in 1989 was consistent with the sketch drawn of the suspect from witness descriptions.

He failed a poly. He lived a mile and a half from where Amy went missing. He had children in the same grade and school as Amy.

Witnesses placed him in the area where Amy's body was discovered on the day she went missing.

"In the affidavit, investigators said in May 2020 two witnesses who saw Mihaljevic talking with a man at the shopping center the day of her abduction, picked the man in question’s picture out of photo line-ups as the person they recalled seeing Amy Mihaljevic talking to the day she was last seen alive."

All of this happened in October 2019 and the police still haven't arrested the man! :eek::mad:

I am praying they get someone to prosecute this guy. Maybe they're collecting evidence?

Glad to see this case picking up some steam. It would be very upsetting if they wont prosecute because of the unaccounted for hairs that dont match that suspect.

Glad to see this case picking up some steam. It would be very upsetting if they wont prosecute because of the unaccounted for hairs that dont match that suspect.

They have to be real careful. We don’t know the whole story yet. We can be sure how strong the case is or even how confident Law Enforcement is that they have their man. If they take it to trial and he is acquitted, double jeopardy applies and the guy can’t e retried. They are conducting a rigorous investigation which I believe involves contacting people he associated with at the time.

From what I can gleam from online sources, he is in his early 60’s, currently homeless living out of his car. He has lived most of his life in the Western suburbs of Cleveland. He apparently has some criminal history but he isn’t a hardened ex-con. It is hard to imagine that someone who would abduct and murder a child wouldn’t have some sort of history of other crimes against children but we don’t know. It is certainly not without precedent for someone to commit murder and fly under the radar for the rest of their lives.

They have to be real careful. We don’t know the whole story yet. We can be sure how strong the case is or even how confident Law Enforcement is that they have their man. If they take it to trial and he is acquitted, double jeopardy applies and the guy can’t e retried. They are conducting a rigorous investigation which I believe involves contacting people he associated with at the time.

From what I can gleam from online sources, he is in his early 60’s, currently homeless living out of his car. He has lived most of his life in the Western suburbs of Cleveland. He apparently has some criminal history but he isn’t a hardened ex-con. It is hard to imagine that someone who would abduct and murder a child wouldn’t have some sort of history of other crimes against children but we don’t know. It is certainly not without precedent for someone to commit murder and fly under the radar for the rest of their lives.

The county's chief prosecutor and most of the people who work for him are from the west side of Cleveland. It's a political tradition, so to speak. It's interesting that someone passed along this information to a local tv station, after the investigation had secretly been "ongoing" for 2 years. I hope the FBI is supervising this closely.

l finished reading James Renner’s “True Crime Addict” the Maura Murray‘s disappearance. In the book he brings up Amy Mihaljevic’s unsolved murder and how easily serial killers look for their next victim.

Heartbreaking, LE has had a suspect since 2019. I understand LE and District attorney needing to be extremely careful, but why hasn’t he been arrested yet, his niece went to the same school as Amy and was in the same grade. I can’t understand why this family never suspected this guy. Didn’t the sketch resemble him somewhat.

l finished reading James Renner’s “True Crime Addict” the Maura Murray‘s disappearance. In the book he brings up Amy Mihaljevic’s unsolved murder and how easily serial killers look for their next victim.

Heartbreaking, LE has had a suspect since 2019. I understand LE and District attorney needing to be extremely careful, but why hasn’t he been arrested yet, his niece went to the same school as Amy and was in the same grade. I can’t understand why this family never suspected this guy. Didn’t the sketch resemble him somewhat.

I am still trying to find out what this POI did for work (or if he was not working) in October 1989 that would allow him to be off the clock between 2 and 4 PM on a week day.

I am still trying to find out what this POI did for work (or if he was not working) in October 1989 that would allow him to be off the clock between 2 and 4 PM on a week day.
Maybe he worked night shifts?
Or on a 06.00hrs to 14.00hrs early shift?

Retail workers often have odd days off or non-standard shifts.

I was thinking more along the lines of working at a local plant or warehouse....

I was thinking more along the lines of working at a local plant or warehouse....

According to the News 5 Cleveland article, the affidavit says the man lived and worked in Bay Village at the time of Amy's disappearance. So LE definitely know what he was doing for work during the time period in question. Bay Village is a pretty small place so if it's true that he worked somewhere within the borders of town during that time period, luckily for LE there are not THAT many possibilities to investigate IMO.

Well, if they know he lived and worked at Bay Village, they know the name of the suspect. Time for LE to stop beating about the bush for whatever reason, and get the arrest in. Amy deserves it!

Well, if they know he lived and worked at Bay Village, they know the name of the suspect. Time for LE to stop beating about the bush for whatever reason, and get the arrest in. Amy deserves it!

They have interviewed him. The suspect has given his DNA too. If they had enough evidence for an arrest, they would have done so.

Well, if they don't have enough evidence to arrest this POI now, then they probably never will have. :(

Incident, in the UK you can be arrested just on 'suspicion' of doing something illegal. The police don't have to provide evidence first, they can find that later.
Sort of wish it was like that in this case......
Oh, will it ever end? :(

They'll be anxious to see if the DNA matches, however depending on several factors, it may take time, if it is still viable.

If the DNA didnt match, they would most likely release that as well.

I feel they are going to then submit it for genealogical analysis, hopefully that will bring something to light

They'll be anxious to see if the DNA matches, however depending on several factors, it may take time, if it is still viable.

If the DNA didnt match, they would most likely release that as well.

I feel they are going to then submit it for genealogical analysis, hopefully that will bring something to light

Yes. They may still be testing the DNA. Sometimes building a case takes time.

Law Enforcement has to be very careful in this situation. Ultimately, they have to keep in mind the rules of Double Jeopardy. If he is acquitted, its all over. He walks free and can never be tried again. In addition, simply arresting without sufficient evidence to prosecute could puts things in motion would result in a dismissal with no chance to recharge later. They are being real careful. They have to have all their ducks in a row before they pull that trigger. The case right now is hardly rock-solid. Beyond reasonable doubt it a tough standard to meet. Ultimately, they may come to the conclusion that they have collected all the evidence they are going to get. Right now the investigation is very active.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back