OH - Annabelle Richardson, newborn, found in shallow grave, Carlisle, 7 May 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brooke Skylar Richardson's case back in court to ensure anthropologist can testify
https://www.wcpo.com/news/crime/bro...in-court-to-ensure-anthropologist-can-testify

According to WCPO media partner the Journal-News, Monday's hearing was scheduled last week to compel the appearance of Krista Latham, a forensic anthropologist for the University of Indianapolis.
[.....]
Defense attorney Charles M. Rittgers said Latham was consulted by the prosecution for a opinion.

“We want to make sure she is available to testify regardless of whether the (prosecution) calls her as a witness,” Rittgers said.
[....]
Oda has also denied the defense motion to move the trial out of Warren County to assure a fair and impartial jury hears the case.

The judge said he plans to summon a larger jury pool, have detailed jury instruction and extended voir dire.
[.....]
This issue will be revisited in the event a jury can not be seated,” Oda wrote in his response to the motion filed by the defense Feb. 9.

It seems to me charges were initially filed based largely on circumstantial evidence of differences between the defendant’s recorded statements the police and those made to her parents in the police interrogation room when she was unaware she was still being recorded.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/crime/defense-wants-suspects-statements-to-parents-suppressed-in-carlisle-buried-baby-case
3/7/18

WARREN COUNTY, Ohio -- Attorneys for a Carlisle woman accused of killing her baby and burying it in the backyard want statements she made to her parents suppressed.

They're also asking for the trial to be moved elsewhere, blaming what they described as a "premature and completely false report" that the baby had been burned. Warren County Prosecutor David Fornshell called their motion "misleading at best."

Brooke Skylar Richardson, 18, is charged with aggravated murder, involuntary manslaughter, gross abuse of a corpse, tampering with evidence and child endangering.

Richardson named the child Annabelle, according to one of two motions filed Monday. She has maintained the baby was stillborn.

In one motion from attorneys Charles H. and Charles M. Rittgers, the defense team makes a case for excluding Richardson’s comments at the Carlisle Police Station outside the presence of officers.

Richardson was interviewed by Carlisle police, who informed her the conversation was being recorded, the motion states.

Until the officers took a break.

"While Brooke was being interviewed law enforcement took a break, removed the recording device and stepped outside and allowed her parents to enter the room and speak to her. During this conversation with her parents, which unbeknownst to any of them was still being recorded by law enforcement, Brooke made statements. It is this conversation with her parents that counsel wishes to address as she had reasonable expectation of privacy in that room," the Rittgers team said in the motion.

The defense said there was no signs of warning in the room that her statements were being recorded.

"… law enforcement removed the only recording device that was pointed out to Brooke, thus creating an impression that the room and interview were no longer being recorded," the Rittgers argue. They say a recorder is also located near the ceiling of the interrogation room but there is no signage to indicate conversations were being audio or video recorded.

They added the layout of the room created an explication of privacy which was violated by recording her conversations with her parents.

The defense team also asked for a change of venue, saying an initial report that Annabelle was burned before being buried tainted the jury pool. A second report found "no signs of burning," the Rittgers said.

They argued a recently-lifted gag order prevented the public from knowing that fact, leaving potential jurors "with the horrible mental picture of a girl burning her baby without realizing that version is false, contradicted by science, and retracted by the state's doctor."

A judge previously denied a change of venue request from the Rittgers -- and ordered it stricken from the record, describing an attached memorandum as a "self-serving recitation of facts" that posed a "serious and imminent threat" to the jury pool's impartiality.

Fornshell, in his response Tuesday, argued the defense team left out key facts and mischaracterized the opinions of potential expert witnesses. The prosecutor said he didn't want to "further inflame the media coverage" and asked Judge Donald Oda II for a hearing.

I'm not understanding how they mistakenly thought the baby had been burned? Isn't that something that would be first identified visually then more closely with testing and such? Like was there an abrasion or lesion or something to give the impression of having been burned? Having loosely followed this story I guess I took it as a given that the burning happened, but what a weird detail at all and particularly weird to be incorrect.

I'm not understanding how they mistakenly thought the baby had been burned? Isn't that something that would be first identified visually then more closely with testing and such? Like was there an abrasion or lesion or something to give the impression of having been burned? Having loosely followed this story I guess I took it as a given that the burning happened, but what a weird detail at all and particularly weird to be incorrect.

Uh yeah, not to mention that it was said the baby was burned so badly an autopsy would likely not reveal anything about cause of death. Something smells here.

Ok I’m from this county. I’ve kept my mouth shut. While I believe what happened to this little innocent baby was horrible, I think a lot of things have been twisted for sensationalism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you Tssiemer - as the defense said - sensationalism of this case.

Sensationalism accompanies a lot of crimes.

However, staying focused on the jurisprudence of this case is most important.

Let us not be distracted from the FACT that a baby is dead and was found buried in the backyard.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

I agree, in this day and age of social media providing us limitless news and opinions on stories, sensationalism is pretty much inevitable with most crimes that have a shock value that fuels emotionally charged curiosities.

I think a lot of people in general misunderstood the recent update to mean she didn't kill her baby just because the defense said the forensic anthropologist retracted its statement about the burned remains. There is still evidence to support a murder trial, a young woman was pregnant and received prenatal care which confirmed the gestation of her infant, and that baby is not alive today, regardless of what did or did not happen to the remains. The condition of the deteriorated remains (once they were found, over 3 months after the birth) may make it impossible to determine the exact cause of death, that does not mean that there is not enough evidence to support that the death was purposeful.

Personally, I think the defense's argument of a stillbirth is both the most obvious and weakest defense to argue in this circumstance. I think most reasonable juries would have a hard time believing that a young, scared, pregnant high school student hides an unexpected pregnancy and then it just so happens that the baby is stillborn and poof, problem solved.

With the retraction of the statement about the remains being burned, I am curious if the statement that there was lung tissue present that showed signs of oxygenation (meaning the baby took a breath outside the womb, disproving the possibility of a stillbirth defense) was also retracted. If not, obviously I think the case is pretty open and shut. If so, the state has an uphill battle to prove murder beyond a reasonable doubt, but again not impossible based on the circumstances.

It seems to me charges were initially filed based largely on circumstantial evidence of differences between the defendant’s recorded statements the police and those made to her parents in the police interrogation room when she was unaware she was still being recorded.

It'll be interesting on how the court rules on this. The FACT is she was in an interrogation room where she was made aware she was being recorded, while she may have made ASSUMPTIONS as to the device that was doing the recording and assumptions about the absence of that device equating to a lack of recording, the FACT still remains that she was informed that she was being recorded and was never informed that she was no longer being recorded. An investigative approach that toes the line for sure, will be up to the court to justify whether they crossed the line at any point. Based on the fact that the defense is trying to get whatever she said stricken from the record, its likely to be a detrimental ruling to one side or the other.

I agree, in this day and age of social media providing us limitless news and opinions on stories, sensationalism is pretty much inevitable with most crimes that have a shock value that fuels emotionally charged curiosities.

RSBM

It was a direct quote from the prosecutor that the baby was burned, not something that was twisted and sensationalized in the media or on social media.

"[FONT=&amp]18-year-old Brooke “Skylar” Richardson gave birth to a full-term baby in May. Just a few hours later, that infant was killed, burned and buried in Richardson’s backyard, Warren County Prosecutor Dave Fornshell says."

[/FONT]http://www.cleveland19.com/story/36...e-in-death-of-infant-found-buried-in-backyard

How many times does it happen that a prosecutor retracts such a statement? And how long does it take for a baby's body, buried in a shallow grave, to deteriorate to the point where the coroner can't determine the sex of the child? She was found after less than two days. The coroner did determine that the baby was born alive. (See above link).

Also, welcome to Websleuths. :)

I took the sensationalism comment to mean the case in general, not the statement about the remains, my bad.

The report says the baby was born sometime in the first week of May, and her remains were found the second week of July, so over two months. That is definitely enough time for decomposition of a body around 7lbs buried naturally (embalming and protection from the casket is what slows the deterioration of a typically buried body, neither of which happened here). What confuses me though, is why they couldn't determine the gender based on the bones, as I thought the pelvis bones were different. But maybe they didn't locate a pelvic bone?

My theory on the change in the remains being burned vs not burned is that the baby was initially buried where they were pictured first taking samples (they returned and took more samples by the firepit) but because the family has dogs, perhaps they were worried they would dig up the remains so they moved the remains to underneath the firepit so they either couldn't get to them or to mask the scent to prevent the digging. Based on having found remains around the firepit, and that they probably had ash on them because its a firepit and that happens, the detectives thought was the remains were burned and thus the initial indictment as such. The latest update after the gag order was listed states the retraction happened a month after the indictment, probably once the forensic anthropologist had spent more time doing a more thorough examination.

I took the sensationalism comment to mean the case in general, not the statement about the remains, my bad.

The report says the baby was born sometime in the first week of May, and her remains were found the second week of July, so over two months. That is definitely enough time for decomposition of a body around 7lbs buried naturally (embalming and protection from the casket is what slows the deterioration of a typically buried body, neither of which happened here). What confuses me though, is why they couldn't determine the gender based on the bones, as I thought the pelvis bones were different. But maybe they didn't locate a pelvic bone?

My theory on the change in the remains being burned vs not burned is that the baby was initially buried where they were pictured first taking samples (they returned and took more samples by the firepit) but because the family has dogs, perhaps they were worried they would dig up the remains so they moved the remains to underneath the firepit so they either couldn't get to them or to mask the scent to prevent the digging. Based on having found remains around the firepit, and that they probably had ash on them because its a firepit and that happens, the detectives thought was the remains were burned and thus the initial indictment as such. The latest update after the gag order was listed states the retraction happened a month after the indictment, probably once the forensic anthropologist had spent more time doing a more thorough examination.

BBM

Derp, my bad there. That's what I get for glancing over the article. "[FONT=&amp]The charges come after investigators discovered the charred, decomposing remains of the baby on July 14" (from link I posted upthread). Also the May 7th in the title threw me off (which is btw not the title I originally gave this thread, it was adjusted by a mod for some reason).

[/FONT]I like your theory.

Great first posts taximama!!

and

:welcome6: to WS and this thread!

:greetings:

and today:

Wednesday, March 14th:
*Pretrial Hearing - OH - A few hours old baby girl, Annabelle ("Baby Jane Doe") (May 6 or 7, 2017; found July 14, 2017) - Brooke 'Skylar' Richardson (18) accused & indicted on multiple felony charges including aggravated murder (special felony), involuntary manslaughter (1st degree felony), endangerment of child (3rd degree felony), tampering w/evidence (3rd degree felony), & gross abuse of corpse (5th degree felony); allegedly killing, burning & burying her newborn baby in backyard of her Carlisle home. Free on $50K bond. Trial starts April 16.

Thanks for link Sjohnson!

and

:welcome6: to WS and this thread!

:greetings:

This case was also featured yesterday on Ashleigh Banfield

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1803/14/ptab.01.html

BANFIELD: Most people who are accused of murder, they don`t get out of jail free card, but for Brooke Skylar Richardson, it might be a different story, because she got out on bond with just a few thousand dollars. And the prosecutors had been seeking a million.

That`s because she is accused of killing her own newborn baby girl within days of senior prom and then just going ahead, burying that little body in her parents backyard.

Brooke is an honor roll student, headed to a nice college, enjoying the summer maybe with friends in the backyard, maybe even polishing up the convertible that she got for her sweet 16.

Because some people say that Richardsons were a family to keep up with. And that a surprise baby, well, that probably just would not fit into the picture.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

DAVID FORNSHELL, WARREN COUNTY PROSECUTOR: Skylar and her family, particularly her mother, were pretty obsessed with external appearances and how things appeared to the outside world. And you have a situation where, you know, she is a cute high school graduate -- recent high school graduate, she was a cheerleader, described a good girl by her attorney as you heard after the arraignment.

And I think that kind of perception is one that Skylar wanted to perpetuate and her mother wanted to perpetuate. If members of the community will find out that the Richardson girl was pregnant and perhaps gave birth and even after giving birth gave that child up for adoption, that was something that simply was not going to be accepted in that household.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE (voice-over): So you`re describing a spoiled self- entitled teenager who was more worried about vanity than keeping the life of a baby alive. That sounds really horrible.

FORNSHELL: Those are your words.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

BANFIELD: While her high school buddies moved on with their lives, beginning their careers or on spring break even right now with their

college friends, Skylar is not. She is sitting at home. Maybe hanging out with a dog.

But she is awaiting a murder trial. The details, however, of that night and the narrative about Skylar still need to be set straight. Because depending on who you talk to, there are vast differences in the story. We got some new information tonight.

Wit me now, Stefano DiPietrantonio, investigative reporter for CNN affiliate WXIX. Stefano, there is some unusual reporting going on. A brand-new article that is out on cosmopolitan.com --

STEFANO DIPIETRANTONIO, REPORTER, CNN AFFILIATE WXIX (via telephone): Right.

BANFIELD: -- with some details about explanations for why we do not know whether this newborn baby`s body was burned before it was buried or just buried and on -- God`s green earth I can`t figure out how you have ash on a body that doesn`t get burned. What is the reporting that is coming out now about that very discrepancy?

DIPIETRANTONIO (via telephone): Well, from what I read in the article and this is not my reporting, this is reporting from a freelance journalist, it`s her article that appeared in Cosmo today.

It talks about apparently the spring of flowers that she had taken to prom with -- that she got from her current boyfriend, that she had thrown them and burned them in the fire pit.

And apparently when she went to bury the baby, she thought she would -- according to the article, place those flowers on the baby`s body before she finished burying it there in the backyard.

That`s all according to the article and the very first time we hear anything like this that could explain potentially how some ashes may have

gotten on the corpse.

BANFIELD: And some of this makes me also think it`s a little like asking Mrs. Lincoln (ph) how the play was. Because the truth of the matter here is, we are dealing with a first-degree murder and aggravated murder.

And, you know, that is extraordinary if that baby was born alive and killed. Would it even matter if the corpse was burned before being buried?

I mean, you know, they seem to be hashing out a lot of this story. Does it even matter at this point?

DIPIETRANTONIO (via telephone): Well, I think it was interesting today. Last week, we had a hearing that lasted all of five minutes. We were waiting in court. The bailiff came out. And after five minutes of waiting, they said it`s not going to happen today. And there was an issue over a petition for a change of venue.

Well, the memorandum was back in and then at this next hearing today, we waited for almost an hour and a half, waiting for the family to walk in.

They never did walk in. I believe they were in the room right next door to us.

And we were told that a motion to suppress information that you reported last week that may have been heard in that listening device in the thermostat there in police department, when she would have been speaking with her parents, not in police presence, that that the motion to suppress, those conversations were dropped.

[18:45:02] I thought it was kind of interesting today.

BANFIELD: It is interesting. There`s a lot of back and forth and we are less than a month away from trial at this point where I`m sure we are going to get a lot more clear reporting of what`s going on in this case.

But so I am clear, in the Cosmopolitan article that come out I believe today or at least within a day or so, the mother is telling the reporter

that the baby tested positive for ash, because the baby buried and Skylar reached over into the fire pit where she had thrown her prom flowers for some reason --

DIPIETRANTONIO (via telephone): Right.

BANFIELD: -- and decided to put those ashen from flowers over top of the newly-dug grave which is weird. This is why we see pictures like this. The forensics team is going through the fire pit, et cetera.

And now we are hearing also that the family, and I think this might be according to the aunt through this article, wants those remains back so that they can have a proper burial and that Skylar wants a funeral. Is that the current reporting from the family?

DIPIETRANTONIO (via telephone): That`s only what I have seen in the article there, Ashleigh. In fact, it does quote, the aunt Vanessa saying that Skylar apparently in the article says she knows she might have done something wrong by burying the baby in the backyard, being scared that she shouldn`t have buried her there.

And apparently, the family is requesting that the baby girl named Annabelle (ph) which, you know, when they release the lawsuit, that`s the very first time in nine months that we ever heard a name surface about this child.

BANFIELD: That cuts both ways. Does that ever cut both ways. She named the baby, so was that baby alive or she named that baby prior to that baby being born dead? Stick with that for a second, Stefano. I want to come back to it in a moment.

Next up, more of what Skylar`s family told reporters. Does it jive with what we are hearing from police?

[18:50:00] (COMMERCIAL BREAK)

BANFIELD: An Ohio teenager accused of killing her newborn baby within days of the senior prom. But Brooke Skylar Richardson might just get a lucky break, because there seems to be a whole lot more questions than answers about what she did or did not do that fateful night, after the remains of her newborn baby were found buried in the family`s backyard.

These were remains that prosecutors have said had been charred although the defense said the prosecutors have withdrawn that accusation. We don`t know that to be true yet, but we cannot wait, and we might find out when the trial begins in about a month.

Defense Attorney Randy Kessler joins me now. Randy, it is fascinating without question. The back and forth about whether this newborn baby girl`s body was charred before it was buried, but does it matter?

At this point, yes, there is a charge of abuse of a corpse. But it`s far more serious to be facing, you know, aggravated murder, isn`t it? I mean, would the charred or non-charred corpse make a difference?

RANDY KESSLER, TRIAL ATTORNEY: You know, that`s not what the defense are going to focus on. The prosecution probably shouldn`t focus on that. I think the real hardship for the prosecution is how do you prove this baby was alive? We might think the baby was alive, but that`s why it`s an interesting case, is because we have all have doubt.

And that burden of reasonable doubt, proving it beyond reasonable doubt is significant one. All the facts to talk about why she did this, why she killed the baby to avoid embarrassment, those facts also support the idea that she would have been embarrassed had they known she gave a stillborn child --

(CROSSTALK)

KESSLER: -- the same facts as why.

BANFIELD: They do. I am just going to throw an idea out to you here. They have said they know the baby or that you can know a baby is alive because if the baby aspirates, that`s what the remains will tell you. If the baby takes a breath, that baby is born alive.

But let`s just say for a minute, a teenage girl gives birth to a baby is exhausted, a baby takes a breath and then dies and teenage girl then does not know baby was ever alive. Isn`t that plausible?

KESSLER: Yes. That`s another point for the defense. I mean, you will have a hard time proving it. Murder trials are hard enough when you have somebody who was an adult, who was alive for sure, and there was no eyewitness to what happened. In this case, there was no eyewitness to what happened whatsoever. All we know is that there is a baby that is not alive.

They have to prove two things. They have to prove a live birth and a murder. That`s twice as much if you have to prove an average -- if there is such a thing as an average murder case.

BANFIELD: That is a very good point. There are two burdens here, you are right, and that is tricky. Randy, stand by. Thank you for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23