OH - Annabelle Richardson, newborn, found in shallow grave, Carlisle, 7 May 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
"But let`s just say for a minute, a teenage girl gives birth to a baby is exhausted, a baby takes a breath and then dies and teenage girl then does not know baby was ever alive. Isn`t that plausible?"

If the defense wanted to go with that they would need to have a medical professional provide the statistics for how often that happens to let the jurors decide if they think that plausibly happened (for instance the incidence of SIDS is 0.05%...so, not very likely that was the case). In the Ryan Widmer case, the defense tried something similar, said the wife could have had narcolepsy and fallen asleep in the bathtub and drowned on her own. Chance of that happening would have been very small and didn't result in enough reasonable doubt in the jury to ultimately get the not guilty verdict.

[FONT=&amp]But at her appointment, after an examination, Dr. Andrew told Skylar that he could not prescribe her birth control because she was already approximately 32 weeks pregnant[/FONT]
In the above quote from the Cosmopolitan article it says that Brooke went to a [FONT=&amp]gynecologist in April and he told her that she was pregnant.
[/FONT]This is the first time that I have heard that she had to have known that she was pregnant. Someplace else I had read that she did not know she was pregnant until labor started.

Both forensic pathologists said the baby was not "burned" - I'm going to alert a Mod to take that out of the description of the thread. I think it's only fair.

What evidence is there that the baby was born alive? I'm usually the first to side with LE in such cases. But sounds a bit witch-hunty to me. Super political DA who wants to make a name for himself as rabidly pro-life, small town, envy, Facebook bullies stalking the family, inflammatory statements about a charred body which were not actually supported by the evidence, and no chance for the defense to refute anything due to the gag order.

This young woman clearly had issues. Especially with weight. The prom photos do not show someone who is anywhere close to full term pregnant. People saw her in bikinis that summer and detected no pregnancy. It's possible the fetus lacked proper nutrition and thus didn't developed well and was thus stillborn. Just like SR said.

But I haven't come to this case after reading the intense statements of the DA who apparently has motive to inflame passions. I came here after reading this article so my perspective is so different:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/why-19-old-trial-murder-194100150.html

What evidence is there that the baby was born alive?

I came here after reading this article so my perspective is so different:

Because of the gag order the only information that was ever released on this case were two things. One is the prosecutor stating that a baby, determined to be 38-40wks, was born alive but is not living, thus the murder indictment. The issue with the remains being charred or not seems to be getting the most attention, but really only affects what happened after the baby's death, so it should have no bearing on the actual murder charge one way or the other). We won't know until the case begins what evidence that the baby was born alive was presented to a grand jury that returned the indictment, but I assume something credible from the coroner or forensic anthropologist was submitted for the court to proceed as it did with murder or the case would have been dropped by now.

The other is the family's story, released despite the gag order, in a couple of paid for editorials like that link. Personally I think it does more harm than good for the defense because it raises more eyebrows and questions about the possibility of what happened than it answers.

Your comments about the prosecutor being pro-life, I'm curious how you are applying that to this case? Are you suggesting a pro-choice prosecution would not have brought charges in this case, as if this baby's death would be considered equal to an abortion if the county didn't have a pro-life prosecutor?

Another hearing canceled in Carlisle buried baby case as trial date nears
https://www.journal-news.com/news/c...case-trial-date-nears/qkzH22XC12YLWewEgBn61H/

Wednesday, March 28, 2018
WARREN COUNTY—

A scheduled pre-trial hearing for Brooke Richardson, a Carlisle teen accused of killing her baby and then burying it in the backyard, did not happen on Wednesday.
Attorneys met in Warren County Common Pleas Judge Donald Oda II’s courtroom for 45 minutes before the bailiff said there would be no hearing in the courtroom.
[.....]
The next scheduled court hearing is April 9, and the trial is scheduled to begin April 16.

Didn't know there was supposed to be a hearing yesterday! I see one on April 9th that I didn't have either....

Monday, April 9th:
*Final Pretrial Hearing - OH - A few hours old baby girl Annabelle ("Baby Jane Doe") (May 6 or 7, 2017) - Brooke 'Skylar' Richardson (18) accused/indicted on multiple felony charges including aggravated murder (special felony) involuntary manslaughter (1st degree felony), endangerment of child (3rd degree felony), tampering w/evidence (3rd degree felony), & gross abuse of corpse (5th degree felony)/allegedly killing, burning & burying her newborn baby in backyard of her Carlisle home. Free on $50K bond. Trial starts April 16th.

I hate these cases. I always have diminished responsibility in my mind as the most likely explanation for these behaviors. That might not be the explanation in all cases, but I would want extreme evidence that it wasn't the case to be comfortable with a full-on murder/manslaughter conviction.

I'm sorry, little baby. There would have been so many great families who would have given you a wonderful home and enjoyed watching you grow :-(

Monday, April 9th:
*Final Pretrial Hearing - OH - A few hours old baby girl Annabelle ("Baby Jane Doe") (May 6 or 7, 2017) - Brooke 'Skylar' Richardson (18) accused/indicted on multiple felony charges including aggravated murder (special felony) involuntary manslaughter (1st degree felony), endangerment of child (3rd degree felony), tampering w/evidence (3rd degree felony), & gross abuse of corpse (5th degree felony)/allegedly killing, burning & burying her newborn baby in backyard of her Carlisle home. Free on $50K bond. Trial starts April 16th.

During a brief hearing today in Warren County, prosecutors and defense attorneys for Brooke Skylar Richardson said they are ready to go to trial. There have been some plea discussions, but no offer extended.

https://www.journal-news.com/news/c...-both-sides-say-trial/LojIEMsulQ3QRUgOblatOJ/

Interesting development in the case yesterday, the defense is stating her OB should not be able to testify under the subpoena due to doctor-patient confidetiality. Prosecution counter-filed stating that doesn't apply to Skylar (didn't elaborate on the "why" but I always thought in cases where a death occured that it becomes void too).
https://www.journal-news.com/news/c...-hits-stumbling-block/hq0avJ3inGpSB47D5e392M/
Thoughts on whether doctor-patient confidentiality applies to this case? Regardless, the defense filing likely sealed any doubt that she was guilty, because if there was nothing to hide they wouldn't have an issue with the OB testifying.

With appeals likely, Carlisle buried baby case could be delayed until 2019
Judge ruled on case exhibits Thursday

https://www.wcpo.com/news/crime/wit...-buried-baby-case-could-be-delayed-until-2019

LEBANON, Ohio -- Doctor-patient privilege: Three words that could ultimately delay Brooke Skylar Richardson's murder trial until next year.

With the trial scheduled to start Monday, the two sides in the buried baby case are arguing over recorded interviews between Richardson and her doctors, as well as medical records.

The defense wants to use some and exclude others. The prosecution says the defense can’t have it both ways.

Both sides in the case have said they're ready to appeal.
[.....]
The defense says the appeals process could take between four to nine months, meaning the trial could be set back to 2019.
[.....]
"The state feels because (the defense) submitted the affidavits containing the potentially privileged information, the state should have the opportunity to cross-examine those doctors," Knippen said.
[.....]
Ada: "If somebody files a notice of appeal, we're all in agreement that the trial for Monday is off, right?"

Knippen: “That's correct, Your Honor.

Hopefully this trial is NOT be delayed.....

Appeal leads to delay in Ohio buried newborn murder case
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/appeal-leads-to-delay-in-ohio-buried-newborn-murder-case/

LEBANON, Ohio (AP) — A former high school cheerleader who’s accused of killing and burying her newborn baby won’t go on trial in Ohio next week.

The delay comes after attorneys for 19-year-old Brooke Skylar Richardson appealed a ruling from Thursday on disputed medical testimony in the case.

Wondering if they will show up Monday to reset dates....

Monday, April 16th:
*Trial was set to begin Delayed- OH - A few hours old baby girl Annabelle ("Baby Jane Doe") (May 6 or 7, 2017) - Brooke 'Skylar' Richardson (18) accused/indicted on multiple felony charges including aggravated murder (special felony) involuntary manslaughter (1st degree felony), endangerment of child (3rd degree felony), tampering w/evidence (3rd degree felony), & gross abuse of corpse (5th degree felony)/allegedly killing, burning & burying her newborn baby in backyard of her Carlisle home. Free on $50K bond.
Both the Pros & Defense filed to delay trial re disputed medical testimony re Doctor/Patient privilege. The appeals process could take between four to nine months, meaning the trial could be set back to 2019.

Brooke Skylar Richardson released from house arrest, will still be monitored pending trial

A Warren County judge modified Richardson's house arrest restriction Monday, WCPO news partner the Journal-News reported. The judge's decision came in response to a request to take Richardson off house arrest, which prosecutors opposed. She will be allowed out of the house between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. each day. Authorities will continue to monitor Richardson with a GPS, random drug tests and unannounced home visits.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-new...-arrest-will-still-be-monitored-pending-trial

I disagree with the judges decision, I think she should remain on house arrest. jmo

Skylar Richardson case: It could be months before appeals cases are heard

Since then attorneys have been busy filing briefs concerning medical records at the heart of the issue that halted the trial of Brooke Skylar Richardson. But as ordered by Warren County Common Pleas Judge Donald Oda II, the content of those briefs outlining both the prosecution — and defense stances — have been sealed.
[.....]
Last week, Warren County Assistant Prosecutor Kristen Brant, who is handling the appellate case for the state, requested oral arguments before the 12 District.

Ben Manning, 12th District court administrator, said a date has not yet been set for those oral arguments. He estimated it might be another couple months before it is scheduled.

I hate these cases. I always have diminished responsibility in my mind as the most likely explanation for these behaviors. That might not be the explanation in all cases, but I would want extreme evidence that it wasn't the case to be comfortable with a full-on murder/manslaughter conviction.

I'm sorry, little baby. There would have been so many great families who would have given you a wonderful home and enjoyed watching you grow :-(
I hope this little baby gets her justice soon. It's not the same, but reminds me of little Caylee Anthony.

What evidence is there that the baby was born alive? I'm usually the first to side with LE in such cases. But sounds a bit witch-hunty to me. Super political DA who wants to make a name for himself as rabidly pro-life, small town, envy, Facebook bullies stalking the family, inflammatory statements about a charred body which were not actually supported by the evidence, and no chance for the defense to refute anything due to the gag order.

This young woman clearly had issues. Especially with weight. The prom photos do not show someone who is anywhere close to full term pregnant. People saw her in bikinis that summer and detected no pregnancy. It's possible the fetus lacked proper nutrition and thus didn't developed well and was thus stillborn. Just like SR said.

But I haven't come to this case after reading the intense statements of the DA who apparently has motive to inflame passions. I came here after reading this article so my perspective is so different:

Why Is This 19-Year-Old on Trial for Murder?

Right there with you Gitana! I even feel bad that they are maligning the mother about appearances. Granted I don't know this family. But I have girls. To me they are the most beautiful girls in the world. And no matter what we said to them growing up, at 14 there were were comments about getting nose and breast jobs and now into their early twenties, there are still occasional comments. Just the other day, I was at lunch with my coworker and her 24 year old daughter who said she was going to do all kinds of things to her face. This girl is stunning and has no interest in even dating (she's in law school). These are three absolutely beautiful girls who don't need a thing done! But this is the society that has garnered this. There is reason that the term "body shaming" has even become a term in our culture. Mother may have had nothing to do with the way her daughter felt. Just like I and my co-worker had nothing to do with how our stunning daughters feel. The pressure of society is awful on all of our girls. Every model or actress who do all kinds of things to their bodies are our children's role models. My daughters are now 24 and 26 starting good careers and so far, no plastic surgery. And I hope it never happens.

Right there with you Gitana! I even feel bad that they are maligning the mother about appearances. Granted I don't know this family. But I have girls. To me they are the most beautiful girls in the world. And no matter what we said to them growing up, at 14 there were were comments about getting nose and breast jobs and now into their early twenties, there are still occasional comments. Just the other day, I was at lunch with my coworker and her 24 year old daughter who said she was going to do all kinds of things to her face. This girl is stunning and has no interest in even dating (she's in law school). These are three absolutely beautiful girls who don't need a thing done! But this is the society that has garnered this. There is reason that the term "body shaming" has even become a term in our culture. Mother may have had nothing to do with the way her daughter felt. Just like I and my co-worker had nothing to do with how our stunning daughters feel. The pressure of society is awful on all of our girls. Every model or actress who do all kinds of things to their bodies are our children's role models. My daughters are now 24 and 26 starting good careers and so far, no plastic surgery. And I hope it never happens.

RBBM
Although this may be true, I believe the majority of young girls (and boys for that matter) go through times where they don’t feel like they are “perfect”. There’s always something they don’t like about their looks, whether it’s their body, hair, face etc etc etc. I think it’s a fairly normal part of growing up.
In my opinion that’s no excuse for what Skylar Richardson has done.
I don’t know if the baby was stillborn or born alive, but the fact that she buried her child in the backyard leaves me to believe she was trying to hide/cover up the pregnancy/birth/child altogether.

[https://www..au/brooke-richardson-skylar-richardson-prom/
Now, Skylar is on house arrest awaiting trial on five felony charges brought by Warren County Prosecutor David Fornshell: aggravated murder, involuntary manslaughter, child endangerment, tampering with evidence, and gross abuse of a corpse.
All because she says she gave birth to a stillborn baby and buried it, because “that’s what you do with dead bodies”.]

I’ve read a few articles where Skylar Richardson was quoted as saying she buried the baby “because that’s what you do with dead bodies”......SERIOUSLY???? This is an eighteen year old honour student. She can’t be that stupid or naive? Not to mention we’re talking about a human being she buried, not a pet dog, cat or hamster!

I know I’ve seen more articles (besides the link I provided) where this quote was mentioned, but I can no longer find them.
It seems this particular quote has changed from “that’s what you do with dead bodies” to saying “she was scared, so she buried the body”....

Woman accused in Carlisle buried baby case won't be tried until 2018

In an interview with Cincinnati Magazine, Richard’s extended family member said Richardson delivered a stillborn baby and suffered from an eating disorder. Family members told Cincinnati Magazine "no one in the family other than Richardson was aware she was pregnant, and after delivering the stillborn child at her family home, she was scared and blamed herself, so she buried the body in the backyard."]

MOO

I wasn't making excuses for what she did. I was pointing out that the mother should not necessarily be blamed and I was making a statement about kids' self perception and society.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member