GUILTY OH - Ashley Zhao, 5, Jackson Township, 10 Jan 2017

Someone asking for a translator doesn't actually prove they can't understand or speak English. Presumably someone should be able to, after being in US for at least 7 years. Father's English is perfect (as one can hear on 911 tape), she presumably has an accent.

Someone asking for a translator doesn't actually prove they can't understand or speak English. Presumably someone should be able to, after being in US for at least 7 years.

Of course, they did state she can speak basic English, I think they may feel concern in case she doesn't fully understand. They may want to ensure when it goes to trial they allowed her the opportunity to tell her side of the story, and she fully understood the charges put against her. Just MHO.

I know that he knew. I'm not 100% on what she knew though, only b/c she needs a translator, and we are getting everything from the husband. When I first read this, it was said that she hit the child, in the head, several times w/her fist. I don't know, but, I don't think they meant to kill the child. That doesn't change the fact that she is dead, and they should be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law. I do feel though, that this case could be highlighted to teach others in the Asian community, that if they are using this type of corporal punishment, that it is not okay here in America. Spankings are one thing, abuse is entirely different.

Edit: If anyone is using this type of corporal punishment, it is wrong, culture or not. I know of people who grew up getting much tougher discipline than I did. They saw it as tough love. I was pretty tough on one of my kids. He laughs about it today. He didn't laugh so much at the time.

She speaks English. You can clearly hear her in the 911 tape. The police have said information from BOTH parents led to her body. The translator was needed for legal issues. She speaks conversational English. Legal jargon is completely different from conversation. That's what translation is needed for.
(All this can be found through links in the thread. I'm sorry I don't have time to pull specific links.)

I hold the parents equally responsible. Whether one person hit her, both, etc. Neither protected her and contributed to her death. This is totally JMO, but it feels like LE must have something more than the dad saying she did it. They won't release more because they don't want to prejudice a jury. They want to see them convicted in their jurisdiction. I think that's telling. It shows how bad this is and how intensely they want to see these people punished. I think they have WAY more info then we know.

Of course, they did state she can speak basic English, I think they may feel concern in case she doesn't fully understand. They may want to ensure when it goes to trial they allowed her the opportunity to tell her side of the story, and she fully understood the charge she put against her.

It probably has to do with legal implications. Even if she speaks and understands English perfectly well, if they don't provide her with a translator, she presumably could appeal if convicted and claim she didn't understand the court proceedings and couldn't properly participate in her defense.

Not sure why she wouldn't be speaking English, she has been here for many years (at least 7, since she applied for asylum in 2009).

Any number of reasons. My ex MIL has lived here (from Mexico, here legally, owns own catering business) for over 40 years and still doesn't speak English very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i understood her need for a translator was for her communication with the lawyer not police. I'm sure if she didn't understand what the police were saying in the interview they would have contacted a translator. Although not too familiar on the interview policies in US on translators. But I do understand there may be things she is keeping from the police and would only feel comfortable disclosing to a lawyer if she was abused. Hopefully if she was abused and the father did kill the child, she will be given the opportunity tell the truth. It would support some indivudals theory the reason she was sick so often was due to the fathers abuse. Truly horrible. Just MHO.
BBM
I'm one of those individuals.

Any number of reasons. My ex MIL has lived here (from Mexico, here legally, owns own catering business) for over 40 years and still doesn't speak English very well.

There's folks from outside the country, here, who have been here for quite awhile, and do not speak English very well. It's difficult for them to carry on a conversation. Possibly their native language is spoken at home. It appears that this mother didn't mingle much either, which is one of the reasons I felt maybe she was the one being abused. I have known people who were abused, and have friends who were, and they were not permitted to socialize much. I could be completely off base, and I could be prejudiced against the father, b/c the people who were abused, that I've known of, have been abused by men.

No. Mother is charged with murder. Father is charged with complicity to murder.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20170112/ashley-zhaos-sister-to-remain-in-county-custody

JMO
Based on this article here are the charges again.

I think some people are missing that the father is also charged with Felonious assault as well as the mother. So BOTH went way over the line as to what is considered normal child discipline. BOTH should end up in jail/prison IMO, and based on these charges I think it is possible they both will.

Here is what I see and also putting in parenthesis how I interpret the charges. Then at bottom listing how the article words the charges.

Starting with last charges first because I think some people are missing this part:

-Father charged with felonious assault (both parents went way over the line and physically assaulted the child)

-Father charged with complicity to murder (stood by and did nothing while his wife beat child to death or worse and he was aware of what she was doing to child)

--Mother charged with felonious assault (both parents went way over the line and physically assaulted the child)

-Mother charged with murder (she beat the child to death or worse)

Below is how the article words the charges. Notice the last one too for both of them.

"Mingming (also listed as Ming Ming in court records) Chen, 29, who is charged with murder in the death of her 5-year-old daughter

Ashley Zhao. The child's father, Liang Zhao, 34, is charged with complicity to murder.

Both parents
, who remain jailed on a $5 million bond, also are charged with felonious assault."

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20170112/ashley-zhaos-sister-to-remain-in-county-custody

What I suspect LE did was interview both parents and they both told of bad things the other person did to the child. They may have even told of instances of the other hurting the child on different days too.

They may have even interviewed the 6 year old too and maybe got some information from the other child.

I am pretty sure LE would ask them about other days and not just the day before as far as whether they ever beat the kids. That could be where the feloneous assault charges come from on both of them. This may have been a daily occurrance for them.

I hope we dont find out that they forced these kids to work at the restaurant at that young age. Those poor kids should have been home napping and resting and watching cartoons. Not forced to be at the restaruant which is a workplace.

I may be reading more into this, but it seems to me police had a suspicion early on that the girl was in that restaurant the while time:

Brink explained that while officers and firefighters were searching the area around the restaurant for any sign of the girl the police department intentionally left an officer at the restaurant in case it needed to be searched again.

"We had an officer stay with that building the entire time from the time that this crime was reported or the missing child was reported until we found that child and the reason is we believe that we were going to have to search that building again; we did not want anybody to be able to do anything with that building during that time. So eventually we would have taken a second look at that building, but we would have searched in other places because by that time you would know you don't simply have a child that walked away," said Brink.

http://fox8.com/2017/01/11/it-rips-your-heart-out-jackson-township-police-talks-about-horrific-ending-to-search-for-girl/

You are right and we really have to thank LE for not leaving that restarant until the second more thorough search was done.

Had they left then it is likely the parents would have removed the child and dumped her somewhere else and we would have ended up with another missing child and we may never have ever known what happened to her.

I dont have the link but there is a picture of the parents at the counter and it appears before they actually found the child. They are standing there like they didnt do anything wrong. They were probably waiting for LE to leave so they could dump the child elsewhere.

I surely would not have suspected the parents at all until she was found in the wall.

Kudos to LE for handling this case properly. They deserve a lot of praise for a job well done.

You are right and we really have to thank LE for not leaving that restarant until the second more thorough search was done.

Had they left then it is likely the parents would have removed the child and dumped her somewhere else and we would have ended up with another missing child and we may never have ever known what happened to her.

I dont have the link but there is a picture of the parents at the counter and it appears before they actually found the child. They are standing there like they didnt do anything wrong. They were probably waiting for LE to leave so they could dump the child elsewhere.

I surely would not have suspected the parents at all until she was found in the wall.

Kudos to LE for handling this case properly. They deserve a lot of praise for a job well done.

I agree. :cry:

If they had not found the child when they did, we may have never known it was the parents who did this. I wouldn't have jumped to that conclusion.

What I suspect LE did was interview both parents and they both told of bad things the other person did to the child. They may have even told of instances of the other hurting the child on different days too.

They may have even interviewed the 6 year old too and maybe got some information from the other child.

I am pretty sure LE would ask them about other days and not just the day before as far as whether they ever beat the kids. That could be where the feloneous assault charges come from on both of them. This may have been a daily occurrance for them.

I hope we dont find out that they forced these kids to work at the restaurant at that young age. Those poor kids should have been home napping and resting and watching cartoons. Not forced to be at the restaruant which is a workplace.

I'd wondered if in fact, what had happened, happened at the restaurant. Like the six year old who was found locked up, and weighing only 30#, they may have only focused on the five year old. Either way, the six year old is old enough to tell LE, and there would most likely be old bruises. I'm guessing, but I'd say this was not the first time the child had been hurt.

ITA. Great job by the JTPD for keeping an officer posted in the restaurant for the entire time until little Ashley was found.

Thank goodness the parents weren't clever enough to remove her from the scene before they declared her missing. And thank god LE was great. It doesn't always go like that.

JMO
Based on this article here are the charges again.

I think some people are missing that the father is also charged with Felonious assault as well as the mother. So BOTH went way over the line as to what is considered normal child discipline. BOTH should end up in jail/prison IMO, and based on these charges I think it is possible they both will.

Here is what I see and also putting in parenthesis how I interpret the charges. Then at bottom listing how the article words the charges.

Starting with last charges first because I think some people are missing this part:

-Father charged with felonious assault (both parents went way over the line and physically assaulted the child)

-Father charged with complicity to murder (stood by and did nothing while his wife beat child to death or worse and he was aware of what she was doing to child)

--Mother charged with felonious assault (both parents went way over the line and physically assaulted the child)

-Mother charged with murder (she beat the child to death or worse)

Below is how the article words the charges. Notice the last one too for both of them.

"Mingming (also listed as Ming Ming in court records) Chen, 29, who is charged with murder in the death of her 5-year-old daughter

Ashley Zhao. The child's father, Liang Zhao, 34, is charged with complicity to murder.

Both parents
, who remain jailed on a $5 million bond, also are charged with felonious assault."

If the article says he was charged with felonious assault, it is incorrect. He was charged with Complicity to felonious assault. He is not alleged to have committed a separate assault as far as I can tell. See docket:

https://www.starkcountycjis.org/mas...ase_type=CRA&pass_case_no=00110&start_range=1

If the article says he was charged with felonious assault, it is incorrect. He was charged with Complicity to felonious assault. He is not alleged to have committed a separate assault as far as I can tell. See docket:

https://www.starkcountycjis.org/mas...ase_type=CRA&pass_case_no=00110&start_range=1

Thanks for this. Is there also a docket page for Mingming Chen?

ETA:
Never mind. I found it:
https://www.starkcountycjis.org/mas...ase_type=CRA&pass_case_no=00109&start_range=1

Cassie Nist (@cassienist): https://twitter.com/cassienist?s=09

Ashley Zhao's body claimed by father's mother and sisters in New York. Body to be flown to N.Y. for services
Now precious Ashley may have a proper funeral.

Cassie Nist (@cassienist): https://twitter.com/cassienist?s=09

Ashley Zhao's body claimed by father's mother and sisters in New York. Body to be flown to N.Y. for services
Now precious Ashley may have a proper funeral.

Thank you! I hope they do right for her. Bless her tiny little soul. I wonder if they might also take guardianship of the other little girl.

I found the wording of the second paragraph below to be odd. Did Ashley not always live with both parents?

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/34...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
The child's body was claimed on Jan. 14. Ashley's Zhao's paternal grandparents, her father's mother and his sisters from New York are taking care of funeral expenses.
According to the funeral home, Ashley will be flown back to New York where she had previously lived with her grandmother before coming to Ohio a year and a half ago to live with her mother.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieSnoop1975
Back