OH OH - Beverly Potts, 10, Cleveland, 24 Aug 1951

Bumping for Beverly. Really hoping something comes from these new tips!

Some thoughts on the 2000 letters from the elderly dying man. He gave some clues about himself that I think are worth exploring. It may be fruitless but I may start looking into it. He claimed he lived near Linnet ave in 1951 and was approaching 82 years old then in 2000. That would mean he was born in or around 1918 and would've been around 33 years old in 1951. Then he more than likely died in 2000 or right after (maybe 2001 or 2002). I also think he would've died in or around the Cleveland area if he was going to meet the cops at Halloran park to turn himself in (I know I'm going on the assumption he was telling the truth in the letters) so he probably died in the city of Cleveland or near there.

I wonder how many men fit those parameters?

All MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My opinion is that it was a hoax. He said Beverly had the special coin when she disappeared. If he was the real thing, I would have expected him to at least send the coin to LE.

The newsboy who claimed to have seen Beverly walking after the show is Fred Krause. At last report, he is still living. His observation, if correct, would show that Beverly was at Halloran Park until after the showagon performance had finished and that she was walking in the direction of her home on Linnet Avenue. It was pointed out that the young man knew Beverly from the community and his identification in that darkened area was based on how she walked as he approached her on his bicycle from behind. Interestingly, he did not come forward with this information for over a week after the disappearance. This report - if, indeed, it was Beverly he saw - also provides information that there were a number of others walking in that area at the same time. How many of those people would have crossed the West 177th/Linnet Avenue intersection and walked down Linnet, as Beverly would have done to go home, seems to remain in question.

My opinion is that it was a hoax. He said Beverly had the special coin when she disappeared. If he was the real thing, I would have expected him to at least send the coin to LE.

But the cops seemed very interested in seeing said coin. So that tells me that maybe it had some merit. Many detectives have said that they think the letters were real and if there was no coin then it wouldn't have been given a second thought.

Video.

[video=vimeo;27269844]https://vimeo.com/27269844[/video]

Thanks for that video. I'm going to check out the full video. I've met the narrator, author James Jessen Badal, though I can't recall exactly where. I think at a political event or seminar. He's very friendly, very smart, interesting to talk to. He's also currently working on a book about Beverly Jarosz, another Cleveland area cold case.

Where can one read about this dying man and what he said? Also the letters he wrote?

Sadly they never published all the letters. They published a few lines of one of the letters but it didn't give much info. I wish they would release the contents of the letters.

If the letters noted here are those mailed to the Plain Dealer in 2000 and 2001, details of their contents and a copy of one of them appear in a chapter titled "Robert Wolf's Quest" on pages 157-170 in the book Twilight of Innocence.

Oh thank you! I'm not there yet in the book!

Here's a theory that I've never seen mentioned:

Maybe Beverly ran into a friend or neighbor (adult or child) at the Showagon and they left together willingly before the event ended. Badal's book said Beverly sometimes babysat younger children. Maybe a parent said something like, "I have to run to the store before they close. Could you watch Billy for 15 minutes? You can call your parents from my house."
So maybe she wasn't walking home in complete darkness and there was no struggle or commotion. Beverly accompanied this person to their home where something bad happened, maybe unintentional.

Another theory that bothers me for some reason:
Beverly left the park and started home. Linnet Avenue was badly lit and dark under the trees. Did Beverly stumble onto a neighbor's lawn or flowerbed in the dark? Did that person take her inside to give her a lecture which got out of hand? I am envisioning something similar to this case from 1934 Scotland:
http://murderpedia.org/female.D/d/donald-jeannie.htm

I don't think Beverly was deliberately rude or mouthy like Helen may have been in 1934. I think Beverly somehow annoyed a neighbor (probably female) and that person's attempt at "discipline" turned deadly.

Back to lurking!

Having become interested in this case in 2005 and visiting Halloran Park and Linnet Avenue, I came to the conclusion that the person responsible lived on that street and was a female. I still feel that way.

Having become interested in this case in 2005 and visiting Halloran Park and Linnet Avenue, I came to the conclusion that the person responsible lived on that street and was a female. I still feel that way.

I agree about the street but why a female??

Oh thank you! I'm not there yet in the book!

https://www.cuyahogalibrary.org/Events/Event-Results/Event-Detail.aspx?id=78820&et=Author
Disappearance of Beverly Potts

Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM

Audiences: Adults

Event Type: Author

Join Dr. James J. Badal, author of Twilight of Innocence: The Disappearance of Beverly Potts and Mark Wade Stone, documentary filmmaker and the producer of the Emmy Award-winning Dusk and Shadow: The Mystery of Beverly Potts as they reexamine the events leading up to Beverly Potts’s disappearance and the subsequent police investigation

I have often thought that Beverly was taken as she headed home and perhaps she did struggle. There could have been witnesses who did not realize what they were seeing. They may have thought that she was giving her mother/father a hard time because she was not happy about the fact that the show was over and it was time to go home. Today we are conditioned to notice situations where a child is in distress, but in the 1950's the discipline of children who were 'having a tantrum' was left up to the parents.

There is reason to believe this might have been the thought process by people who may have witnessed Beverly being abducted. However, it should also be remembered that in those days people on a street knew their neighbors better than we do today. Some could have considered it was a child giving her parents a hard time, but others could have reasoned, "Isn't that Beverly Potts yelling and crying?". "Who is she with?". "It doesn't look or sound like her parents". Just a thought.

New to the site. I'm wondering what happened with the tips hotline and I too would like to see the letters. Did anything come from it? I'm going to download the book this evening. Such a sad story.

I apologize if this has been posted before but I have a question about this statement:

Following up on new leads on a missing person’s case, that is 64 years old, investigators and a cadaver dog searched two locations Monday
http://fox8.com/2015/09/28/investig...eads-in-1951-disappearance-of-cleveland-girl/

Could a cadaver dog still find something (bones, clothing, etc.) after 64 years?

Better question, why wouldn't the "tipster" call back into the hotline? Wish we knew what the tip was although I suspect it had to do with the location of the search. :thinking:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back