GUILTY OH - Brian Michael Rini, charged with impersonating a long-missing child, Apr 2019

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by AnotherNancyDrew, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Blue_Dolphin308

Blue_Dolphin308 We can't help everyone, But everyone can help some

If he is a kidnapped victim he may not be charged... As he too is a victim of a crime. Police are still treating him like a victim as they believe he still may very well be kidnapped

"Rini’s motives are currently unclear. However, police in the area of Newport, Kentucky (where Rini was first “found”) have confirmed that they are looking into his claim of being kidnapped, while also acknowledging that he has given false statements in the past 24 hours, including that he claimed to be 14 years old. Following the confirmation of Rini’s identity, FBI Louisville released the following statement, in the form of a pair of tweets,"

2. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

Oh good!

Stunned likes this.
  3. Wagtales10

Wagtales10 2024

If he wasnt. I wonder if they will make him pay back everything from the investigation. Something this large should cost like $130k

Artis and gitana1 like this.
  4. gitana1

One has brown eyes and one blue.

5. gitana1

He's likely the worst of that crew based on what I'm hearing.

LietKynes, LaborDayRN and LadyL like this.
  6. WillenFan21

WillenFan21 Well-Known Member

So odd that he picked Timmothy's case of all the cases out there as he only would have been 16 when Timmothy went missing. Prayers to Tim's family.

7. gitana1

Falsification. It can be a misdemeanor or felony depending.

I hope he is charged.

8. missingm

missingm Well-Known Member

Filing a false report and obstruction of justice (refusing fingerprints). With his priors that might be enough.

fanged1, osu and Wagtales10 like this.
  9. CSIDreamer

CSIDreamer Well-Known Member

And reads websleuths. This site is a gold mine of information. And due to the rules, pretty accurate.

10. Alethea

Alethea Verified Attorney

If you read my thousands of posts over the course of years here you will see I am always a big defender of LE and the media. I think this was handled poorly. LE agencies have media relations departments trained to deal with the press during crisis and/or breaking news in the age of social media. If you disagree, that’s fine. It’s just an opinion on this one case not some damning of the media in general.

11. MyBelle

MyBelle Well-Known Member

Perhaps he markets stolen identities.

JMO

12. Joe Friday

Joe Friday Well-Known Member

I bet he didn't figure on anyone comparing his DNA to see if he was actually Timothy. He thought everyone would just take his word for it.

He likely assumed he would become 'someone' like other individuals who were missing and eventually were found or escaped from their kidnappers. (JC, ES)

His moment of fame didn't last long.

I would hope he will be charged with making a false report and lying to the FBI, which is a pretty serious offense and could land him in prison for some time.

JMO

13. Wagtales10

Wagtales10 2024

I bet he thought they'd release him if he promised to come back for questions...and it backfired

glassheater likes this.
  14. Stunned

Stunned Well-Known Member

I’d like to know more about the witness who said the FBI asked her too take down his picture, that there might be more children involved! Was she just inserting herself into this story?

15. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

[bbm]

didn't know overnight test drives were a thing

16. UnlicensedPI

UnlicensedPI Well-Known Member

IMO, he wasn't trying to fool anybody. He claimed one man had a snake tattoo and the other had a spiderweb tattoo! I'm surprised anybody took that seriously. IMO he doesn't resemble Timmothy at all either. I think this was all about notoriety and attention. He knew he couldn't keep up this charade for very long and he'd be infamous like Frederic Bourdin when he was caught

gitana1 and k8ling0087 like this.
  17. stephlovescheese

stephlovescheese Well-Known Member

With his history, I’m hopeful he will be charged. But I’m still curious to know more about his background and mental health issues. The issues certainly don’t excuse his behavior, but they may offer some explanation.

18. crhedBngr

crhedBngr Attempting to Keep Calm and Carry On.

Here you go!

tequilaShot.jpg tequilaShot.jpg

19. Alethea

Alethea Verified Attorney

Yeah but like was he just going to go back 10 years and be 14 again? It’s so weird.

And yeah lying to the FBI is a federal crime so if they interviewed him that’s enough to head to prison anyway. Martha Stewart went to jail for lying to a federal agent, not any underlying crime.

20. osu

osu Well-Known Member

BROTHER OF MEDINA MAN ACCUSED OF PRETENDING TO BE MISSING BOY, SPEAKS OUT

"He's been doing stupid stuff for as long as I can remember"

MEDINA, Ohio — The brother of the 23-year-old Medina man that claimed he was an Illinois boy that was last seen in 2011, has spoken out.

~snip

In the interview, Rini expressed his disappointment and says he has no clue why his brother would take on this persona.

"I'm not surprised, I mean he's nuts. He's been doing stupid stuff, not this serious, but he's been doing stupid stuff for as long as i can remember," said Jonathan.

He went on to say that his brother struggles with several mental health issues and he hopes he gets help.

"He has Asperger's, bipolar disorder, ADHD, the list goes on. He was receiving treatment but then he stopped and started getting in more trouble," Rini added.

~snip

More at link:
    Brother of Medina man accused of pretending to be missing boy, speaks out

5centnikki, Traymar, mpnola and 30 others like this.