OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 Apr 2006 #5

Discussion in '2000's Missing' started by dotr, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Looking4Brian

Looking4Brian Well-Known Member

I’m not sure about the claims of the other podcast, but according to what I was told by The Shaffer Family and CPD.. Brian’s Mom paid for everything so Brian could concentrate on school. He had one credit card with a very small credit limit and his bank card. Both of them were canceled within days of Brian going missing by Randy.

2. Looking4Brian

Looking4Brian Well-Known Member

I do not know any details on the picture such as when or where it was taken. The photo was the Facebook cover photo for one of the last men that Brian called the night of his disappearance. Actually there are 2 men in the photo that Brian called that night. I was talking to the one gentleman about meeting Brian that night. When I questioned the man about the picture, he blocked me. I will say that I don’t think the man is Brian, but it vaguely resembles him. It was the mans actions that made me curious. When I did the interview for a Unfound Podcast, I opened my Investigation and research to Ed and he found this very strange.

3. ShamelessObserver

ShamelessObserver Well-Known Member

Can you share the photo?

GoBuckeyes, neesaki and dotr like this.
  4. george14

george14 Well-Known Member

Go to the Unfound podcast website and Brian Shaffer page, you will see it as one of the first few photos listed. I've tried sharing images before and I'm not good at it.

GoBuckeyes, Stella, neesaki and 2 others like this.
  5. BethAnn777

BethAnn777 Not well-known, just the way I like it.

So what’s the deal with pic? Was it supposedly taken after he disappeared?

GoBuckeyes, neesaki and dotr like this.
  6. ShamelessObserver

ShamelessObserver Well-Known Member

Seen it... it’s not Brian. The guy has a totally different nose.

dotr, Stella and MerryB like this.
  7. juan1

juan1 Active Member

Thanks for participating in the Unfound Podcast, @Looking4Brian! Learned some new tidbits that really make me question my original theory. Your hard work is much appreciated.

8. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

It really resembles him otherwise. The pic isn’t real clear, and the sunglasses could throw off the nose .... but a slight possibility.

GoBuckeyes, dotr and Looking4Brian like this.
  9. Stella

Stella Well-Known Member

Agree. Plus the guy in the photo doesn't have Brian's lantern square jaw and looks more narrow across the shoulders than Brian.

dotr, Ozoner and MerryB like this.
  10. MerryB

MerryB Well-Known Member

Agree. There is a picture on Kelly’s page, however, that *does* look like Brian.

dotr and Looking4Brian like this.
  11. MysteryMaven

MysteryMaven Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t rule out him having fallen into a body of water either.
    I know they searched the Oletangy.
    But what about the Scioto river? One of the phone pings was in between both rivers-The Kenny Rd. ping. When I looked at the area on the map I noted the proximity to both rivers. And Hurst said that at that time a phone could ping off a tower up to 20 miles away.

Kittybunny, Ozoner and dotr like this.
  12. MysteryMaven

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to listening to the Unfound podcast.

GoBuckeyes and dotr like this.
  13. MerryB

MerryB Well-Known Member

The Olentangy would’ve been about 2 feet deep at the time, so while he could’ve gone in, he wouldn’t have been hard to find. The Scioto is deeper but not really close to the area he was last seen in (though I suppose anything is possible). My personal opinion is that the westward phone pings and the towers at Kenny & Lane and Hilliard/Scioto Darby/Westbelt indicate the phone was likely traveling along 315 from campus to I-270W.

juan1, dotr and MysteryMaven like this.
  14. MysteryMaven

Hurst wouldn’t answer directly when Kelly asked if the phone pinged Sat. Or Sun. I suppose they can see that info from the cel phone data/records.
    She asked him flat out did the phone ping Saturday or Sunday? He says something like “the phone did not connect to any towers the morning after Brian went missing.” He is vague. He just says “morning”.
    Then he starts talking about how they “put a ping” on his phone Monday.

GoBuckeyes, dotr and MerryB like this.
  15. MysteryMaven

Interesting. Yes I see the Scioto is only 9 feet deep too. He probably would have been seen if he went in.

GoBuckeyes, juan1, dotr and 1 other person like this.
  16. itsrak

itsrak Well-Known Member

Dig.

windrower and dotr like this.
  17. ChatteringBirds

ChatteringBirds Well-Known Member

18. Valiant

Valiant Well-Known Member

Just to clarify: There are three possibilities as I don't know the order of the pings:
    1) 315 north to the "top" of I-270, head west then south to the Hilliard area.
    2) 315 south to I-70 (or I-670 then I-70 if I-670 was completed by then). I-70 takes you to the Hilliard area.
    3) 315 south to I-71 and hit I-270, the east and north to the Hillard area.
    I would rule out #3.
    As a former Columbus resident I would have chosen #2 as it's a slightly shorter and quicker route. But route #1 wasn't a bad drive either. Either way it's 1/2 hour or less trip.
    Of course there any number of surface routes to get from that area to Hilliard. But they'd take longer.

19. itsrak

itsrak Well-Known Member

I think the phone remains in the complex where Brian was last seen. Probably in his pocket.

windrower, dotr and Ozoner like this.
  20. MerryB

MerryB Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree & would argue that investigators are aware of phone data that indicates he made it out of the building, assuming Brian’s phone was on his person at the time of his disappearance.

*Brian’s phone was on around 1:55-1:58 AM when Brightan put her # in.

*At 2:00 when Clint & Meredith exited the bar, they did not see him. Meredith called Brian at 2:01 but the phone was off or out of service (I personally believe he turned it off to avoid Clint & Meredith who were supposed to give him a ride home, but it could’ve briefly been out of service if he was in an elevator or the construction area I suppose).

*If you argue that his phone was out of service because he entered the construction area, why did it come back on and communicate with cell phone towers until 2:11 AM (per Hurst)?

In my opinion, Brian turned his phone off briefly as he took an alternate exit and way home to avoid being seen by Clint & Meredith as he exited the bar.

*Brian’s apartment was a 1/2 mile from the UTS. It’s a 10 minute walk. I think he kept his phone on while he took Pearl Alley home, perhaps for light or safety. If he made it home, he then turned it off again after 2:11 AM.

*Hurst wouldn’t say what kind of retroactive pinging data they have for that weekend, but my guess is that it was on & pinging. As @MysteryMaven recounted, Hurst says something like “the phone did not connect to any towers the morning after Brian went missing.” He is vague. He just says “morning.” Think about that. What are we being told without being told?

*When they put the pinging service on the phone on Monday, they got pings. Remember… a phone has to be turned on and powered up to ping. Any of you who now use Life 360 know if someone’s power is low, they can’t be tracked. You think that’s going to happen buried in concrete or in Brian’s pocket behind drywall… for days?

*We can debate whether or not at this point Brian had his phone & was moving with it or, if something nefarious happened, someone else had his phone. However, it was moving in a westward direction. Think about back then before GPS how many pings investigators had to have gotten to be able to triangulate a signal. Not just 1.

*Hurst reports pings at Kenny Rd & Lane Ave, triangulation at Scioto Darby Creek are, and less specifically refers to pings in the “Westside/Westbelt area” and “a few after that.” Each is further west from the next. A stationary phone that is powered on for days is not going to progressively jump farther west to a tower in a sequential motion. That phone was in a car on the highway. Look at a map & you will see 315 S to (briefly 70 W as @Valiant said) to 270 N hits all the marks.

MOO

Valiant, Kittybunny, Suglo and 3 others like this.