OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if he could be in wooded areas or scarcely used property, then they should conduct another search starting with wooded areas near Hilliard, since that's where his phone pinged from 6 months after. I know that it was believed to be a fluke on the phone company's part, but maybe there's some reason it pinged from that specific tower. Is that the closest one to where his phone was located at the time? Unless that's just the closest one to Columbus in general, I don't know

Wow! I never heard this before! That would make a lot of sense though if his body was dumped near there.
One of the quickest ways out of Ugly Tuna/campus area(and one of the most frequently used) is to take Lane Ave. and head west about 10-15 minutes. You would pop out near Hilliard which is mostly very sparse and rural. Then it would be easy to take a back road west again another few minutes towards a field or wooded spot- lots of open areas and very dark out there.

It's so mysterious this case surely Clint's reluctance to help or take a poly shouts guilty knowledge, for there to be movement in this case I believe Clint is the only person who can help solve this case.
But depending on the amount of his culpability depends on wether he'll speak up one day or not.
IMOO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember seeing this as well, and can't say for sure if it came from an actual news source. This leads me to believe that drugs were somehow involved. I wish the police did grant him immunity just so he could talk and maybe lead them somewhere

I think the best way to figure out if Clint was involved is to analyze the statements of clint's attorney more thoroughly. If Clint has told anybody anything, it would be his attorney. Even though attorney/client privilege exists so potentially incriminating information can be kept confidential, whatever information Clint gave his attorney shaped the statements that the attorney made to the public.

From what I recall, there was one statement the attorney made that basically said "if Brian is alive, Brian is causing his family pain." Or something along those lines. It has already been suggested that this statement was made because a scenario where Brian is alive is better than one where he's dead, and it makes Clint look less guilty. This could be misdirection if the attorney knows that Clint has something to do with Brian's death.

A video or audio recording would be more helpful for analysis than a transcription of the statement. For anybody who went down the Serial rabbit hole, you'll know that Jim Clemente and Laura Richards listened to a recording of one of Jay's confessions and looked for nuances in his speech to figure out when he was being deceptive. If somebody in the websleuths community has any experience in this field, and if there's some type of recording of the attorney's statement, I think it could be helpful to determining Clint's level of involvement.

And yet the sergeant working on the case admitted that it would've been possible for someone to leave via the construction site.

Yep. For sure. To leave...but not to be concealed there.

I think the best way to figure out if Clint was involved is to analyze the statements of clint's attorney more thoroughly. If Clint has told anybody anything, it would be his attorney. Even though attorney/client privilege exists so potentially incriminating information can be kept confidential, whatever information Clint gave his attorney shaped the statements that the attorney made to the public.

From what I recall, there was one statement the attorney made that basically said "if Brian is alive, Brian is causing his family pain." Or something along those lines. It has already been suggested that this statement was made because a scenario where Brian is alive is better than one where he's dead, and it makes Clint look less guilty. This could be misdirection if the attorney knows that Clint has something to do with Brian's death.

A video or audio recording would be more helpful for analysis than a transcription of the statement. For anybody who went down the Serial rabbit hole, you'll know that Jim Clemente and Laura Richards listened to a recording of one of Jay's confessions and looked for nuances in his speech to figure out when he was being deceptive. If somebody in the websleuths community has any experience in this field, and if there's some type of recording of the attorney's statement, I think it could be helpful to determining Clint's level of involvement.

In the statement you're referencing about Brian being the one who needed to come forward, Clint's lawyer said a police officer told him Brian may be alive. He did not say which police officer and when the media tried to ask the officers assigned to the case, no one commented.

Wow! I never heard this before! That would make a lot of sense though if his body was dumped near there.
One of the quickest ways out of Ugly Tuna/campus area(and one of the most frequently used) is to take Lane Ave. and head west about 10-15 minutes. You would pop out near Hilliard which is mostly very sparse and rural. Then it would be easy to take a back road west again another few minutes towards a field or wooded spot- lots of open areas and very dark out there.
I looked on Google Maps and I can see that there are tons of places just in that area to dump or bury a body. You're right, it's not a far drive from the Ugly Tuna. If Brian got into someone's car and was killed immediately, then all they'd have to do is keep driving towards Lane Ave. and they'd be right in rural country. Plenty of spots to dump evidence. Even the Scioto river is right there.

I don't think anybody is doubting that he could have left through the construction site, it's just a matter of if he had his accident/met his end there. Sure he could have gone through and ended up outside, that's what I believe happened, but not that he actually died there and is still buried there. Only because the search team and dogs came up with nothing. Not impossible, but I venture more on the theory that he made it out and died elsewhere.

That's because it's a theory that doesn't fuel the imagination. Drunk guy dies accidentally in construction site isn't nearly as alluring as foul play or a planned disappearance, but it's the one that requires the fewest leaps of logic. All we know is that he entered the building and both the CCTV at the entrance & the emergency exit didn't capture him leaving. Does that mean Brian couldn't have slipped out somehow? Not at all, but isn't it a little coincidental that the only person unaccounted for at the bar was also missed by the surveillance footage?

I looked on Google Maps and I can see that there are tons of places just in that area to dump or bury a body. You're right, it's not a far drive from the Ugly Tuna. If Brian got into someone's car and was killed immediately, then all they'd have to do is keep driving towards Lane Ave. and they'd be right in rural country. Plenty of spots to dump evidence. Even the Scioto river is right there.

Agreed. This now seems like the most probable explanation to me. By far.

Surely the police know the geography and know how easily Brian could've reached some after gathering in Hilliard or been disposed of there. I would love to hear if they have searched these angles based on that ping...

Man.

Thanks for posting this.
If you look south on High St. you can see 5th Ave, also a very fast way out of campus area that would get you to the Scioto River and watershed area. If you follow north on High St. from Ugly Tuna that would get you to Lane Ave. and near all the student housing and the dorms-- then you would take Lane west and be close to Hilliard.

This was what the construction looked like around the Ugly Tuna a little later than the disappearance, maybe in 2007 when it was close to completion. It was all in a one block area called South Campus Gateway.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 44309214.P6040048.jpg
    44309214.P6040048.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 164
  • 44309215.P6040049.jpg
    44309215.P6040049.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 43
  • 44309217.P6040051.jpg
    44309217.P6040051.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 37
This was what the construction looked like around the Ugly Tuna a little later than the disappearance, maybe in 2007 when it was close to completion. It was all in a one block area called South Campus Gateway.

attachment.php

Thank you for embedding the pics. Assuming they are an accurate representation of the time there looks to be a lot going on, a lot more than i thought. You can easily see how an accident could happen with that type of construction project next door, especially next to a bar where there will be a lot of intoxicated people coming and going from the area.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=141003

If you scroll down on that thread a bit in the first post there are a couple of pics of construction at that time in the area Brian went missing. I don't think there are any direct pics of the construction on the Ugly Tuna itself though.

Yeah, police who took dogs through at the time felt confident the stage/state/size of the construction at the time could not be concealing his body. These are the same 3 or more officers who literally took the time to watch the video footage over and over, pausing and taking notes and accounting for every person who entered and exited. They searched dumpsters, etc. One officer became friends with Brian's dad and it was his mission to solve the case. It is my belief that he examined the case thoroughly and his conclusions suggest we should think more along the lines of accident or foul play, rather than on scene accident.

Maybe Brian ended up in a country that is just happy to have someone with medical knowledge and do not care whether he has a ss number, or an accurate I.D.?

Brian could look completely different if he is still alive, imo, wig, hair dyed ,very long or dreadlocked, bald, beard, moustache,, coloured contact lenses, dark sunglasses/ blind cane, large glasses, deeply tanned, very pale, substantially gained or lost weight ect.
Following new religion or joined a cult, studying music/playing/ working with bands ect.

speculation, imo.

Very possible. If he left on his own, then he is definitely not known as Brian Shaffer (at least legally). He may be living somewhere remote. He has always impressed me as someone who would be completely happy living in a small community on a remote island.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just don't see someone who was planning on vanishing voluntarily deciding to do so after a long night out drinking with friends.

News links from the first thread unfortunately no longer work, apparently Brian's apt had been robbed at the time he was first missing, perhaps another thing to add to the list of coincidences, imo, speculation.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?38269-OH-Brian-Shaffer-27-Columbus-1-April-2006-1
[url]http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?38269-OH-Brian-Shaffer-27-Columbus-1-April-2006-1&p=1057726#post1057726

[/URL]

Yeah. I read those articles when they were posted and I do consider whether there's any chance Brian "broke into" his own place...but his fiancé and police who examined the scene really didn't feel this was the case. They felt the apartment was targeted by thieves who knew he had disappeared due to how widely it was publicized.

Again, I always acknowledge that this is possible. Sometimes unlikely explanations end up being the right one. But if we talk about what is most likely, I still think it's accident or foul play.

I would love for new tips to arise that tell us differently...that give us any reason to believe Brian is alive. But unless new info comes out, the current info doesn't make me think he is.

I just don't see someone who was planning on vanishing voluntarily deciding to do so after a long night out drinking with friends.
that's the million dollar argument. I agree it'd be a risk but maybe Brian felt he was on a time crunch to get out. Randy said in an interview that Brian was supposed to be visiting home that Saturday after the night out. Why would Brian make such efforts to see his dad and brother the night before when he was going to see them the next day anyway? If Brian did want to leave, he might have wanted to do this before visiting home. Once that visit home was over then his girlfriend would be returning home the next day, then the day after that they'd be leaving for Florida. Perhaps he needed to get away while he still had some window of time before being missed (so late Friday night-early Saturday morning) where nobody would notice for awhile. If there isn't any proof that he didn't leave the bar either, who's to say that Brian didn't go back to his apartment for a bit, pack some stuff up and leave. He could have made his bed and cleaned up before leaving, there's no actual proof that he never made it back home afterwards. I don't personally believe this to be the case, but it could be argued in favor of the running away theory. I just find it so strange that he just happened to disappear the one weekend Alexis was away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10