OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even know how to word this but I'll try. I came across some information from a person who was cryptically talking about where Brian may be buried. It took me some time to figure out where this person was talking about and sure enough I'm pretty sure I found it.

This area was freshly dug up just right after Brian disappeared and was concreted over eventually. When I realized the location it actually gave me chills. Here is the eerie part. The person who spoke of this did it 13 days after Brian went missing and the area is a place that Brian had to walk past to get home. If this turns out to be nothing it's one hell of a coincidence.

I have contacted Det Hurst and am waiting for a call back. This could be something they have already checked out but in all the years I have followed Brian's disappearance I have never heard this mentioned. Once I hear back from Det Hurst I will give all the info as long as he says it's OK.

I don't even know how to word this but I'll try. I came across some information from a person who was cryptically talking about where Brian may be buried. It took me some time to figure out where this person was talking about and sure enough I'm pretty sure I found it.

This area was freshly dug up just right after Brian disappeared and was concreted over eventually. When I realized the location it actually gave me chills. Here is the eerie part. The person who spoke of this did it 13 days after Brian went missing and the area is a place that Brian had to walk past to get home. If this turns out to be nothing it's one hell of a coincidence.

I have contacted Det Hurst and am waiting for a call back. This could be something they have already checked out but in all the years I have followed Brian's disappearance I have never heard this mentioned. Once I hear back from Det Hurst I will give all the info as long as he says it's OK.

WOW!

Satch

Oh wow.... but, just to clarify, the person did what 13 days after Brian disappeared? Posted somewhere online where he may be buried? Sorry but I just have to ask... where did you come across this information?

Oh wow.... but, just to clarify, the person did what 13 days after Brian disappeared? Posted somewhere online where he may be buried? Sorry but I just have to ask... where did you come across this information?

Good point!

The way that I read it alleges that Brian was killed by this person thirteen days after he disappeared, and this person buried him in a place that Brian had to pass to walk home. And this place gave Embufum chills. Embufum, can you clarify some if this if you can? Thanks in advance!

Satch

Good point!

The way that I read it alleges that Brian was killed by this person thirteen days after he disappeared, and this person buried him in a place that Brian had to pass to walk home. And this place gave Embufum chills. Embufum, can you clarify some if this if you can? Thanks in advance!

Satch

I'll try and answer yours and Neesaki's questions best I can. The way I am interpreting the information is this person "spoke" of this area 13 days after Brian disappeared it doesn't mean it happened then. Don't read too much into my opinion but I'm thinking if and I say IF it's true then Brian was most likely killed that night.

I've said in previous posts that I thought Brian made it out of that building and headed towards home. I also thought it possible that he made it home and left again. Keep in mind what Hurst said about Brian exiting out what was going to be a health food store I think it was "Sunflower Market" and he crossed the street to Wendy's and they lost his scent.

I'll try and answer yours and Neesaki's questions best I can. The way I am interpreting the information is this person "spoke" of this area 13 days after Brian disappeared it doesn't mean it happened then. Don't read too much into my opinion but I'm thinking if and I say IF it's true then Brian was most likely killed that night.

I've said in previous posts that I thought Brian made it out of that building and headed towards home. I also thought it possible that he made it home and left again. Keep in mind what Hurst said about Brian exiting out what was going to be a health food store I think it was "Sunflower Market" and he crossed the street to Wendy's and they lost his scent.

Thanks!

I remember the Wendy's information, but not the health food store. Interesting that you thought Brian made it home and left again. If this person has credible information, I would say yes, Brian died that night with intent and malice in mind, no accident. It also brings about the possibility that Brian HAD to get out of The Ugly Tuna unseen. In other words he planned his escape, not to run away. But to participate in a drug deal.

Brian could have needed the money, badly. He meets up with shady characters that night, they didn't like how Brian handled the deal, so they killed him. Maybe all these years, Clint knows that this happened. Remember that according to LE, Brian and Clint had not talked once for a least a month before that night. Perhaps their friendship was fading, and Brian was womanizing too much. These woman could have been involved with the drug deal. Clint doesn't want to talk, because the circumstances of that night could make him involved, whether involved or not, and he doesn't want that ruining his medical reputation. Clint didn't want Brian's behavior ruining his medical reputation.

Satch

Thanks!

I remember the Wendy's information, but not the health food store. Interesting that you thought Brian made it home and left again. If this person has credible information, I would say yes, Brian died that night with intent and malice in mind, no accident. It also brings about the possibility that Brian HAD to get out of The Ugly Tuna unseen. In other words he planned his escape, not to run away. But to participate in a drug deal.

Brian could have needed the money, badly. He meets up with shady characters that night, they didn't like how Brian handled the deal, so they killed him. Maybe all these years, Clint knows that this happened. Remember that according to LE, Brian and Clint had not talked once for a least a month before that night. Perhaps their friendship was fading, and Brian was womanizing too much. These woman could have been involved with the drug deal. Clint doesn't want to talk, because the circumstances of that night could make him involved, whether involved or not, and he doesn't want that ruining his medical reputation. Clint didn't want Brian's behavior ruining his medical reputation.

Satch

Yes in the Comeback podcast interview Det Hurst mentioned what he called a health store going in where the dogs followed Brian's trail and it led out that door right across from Wendy's. That's what later became The Sunflower Market.

I've said in other posts that I thought Brian made it out and was trying to get home. I don't think that he was planning on running away from the Tuna. I have my theories as to why he went the way he did but I'll hold off on that one. As I said before I don't want to interfere what the podcast might being covering. Kelly and Nick are doing an awesome job at digging up info.

As I'd noted previously, I stopped in Columbus several days ago to have a look at the site of Brian's disappearance, the location at which he was last seen, the location from which there is no evidence he ever exited on 4/1/06. Didn't learn much new. Mainly, I saw a lot of students having a good time. OSU's gotta be a fun place to got to college, near as I can tell.

Did a bit of digging today. Turns out, the space in which the Tuna was located, and in which Brian was last seen, is part of a building that is owned by The Board of Trustees of The Ohio State University. Near as I can tell, the same entity owned it when construction began in 2005, and has owned it since. Here is info from the Franklin County assessor's office:

Franklin County Treasurer - Property Search

The property includes two components divided by the street level open-air plaza area between them - the north piece, which is leased to several bars and restaurants and office tenants, and the south piece, which is leased to the Gateway Theatre, office tenants, Mad Mexx restaurant, and until recently the Ugly Toona Saloona, and at one time to Sunflower Market.

So, basically, OSU alumnus and then OSU med school student Brian Shaffer disappeared in a property owned by (and near as I can tell developed by)....OSU.

OSUs own.png

Has The Ohio State University done anything to find one of its own? Would they have any incentive to endeavor to find one of their own, in one of their own properties, the treacherous and 'completely dug up' 'construction area' (circa 4/1/06) of which was apparently (and based on comments of the CPD's lead detective on the case) potentially not adequately secured....?

Last edited:
As I'd noted previously, I stopped in Columbus several days ago to have a look at the site of Brian's disappearance, the location at which he was last seen, the location from which there is no evidence he ever exited on 4/1/06. Didn't learn much new. Mainly, I saw a lot of students having a good time. OSU's gotta be a fun place to got to college, near as I can tell.

Did a bit of digging today. Turns out, the space in which the Tuna was located, and in which Brian was last seen, is part of a building that is owned by The Board of Trustees of The Ohio State University. Near as I can tell, the same entity owned it when construction began in 2005, and has owned it since. Here is info from the Franklin County assessor's office:

Franklin County Treasurer - Property Search

The property includes two components divided by the street level open-air plaza area between them - the north piece, which is leased to several bars and restaurants and office tenants, and the south piece, which is leased to the Gateway Theatre, office tenants, Mad Mexx restaurant, and until recently the Ugly Toona Saloona, and at one time to Sunflower Market.

So, basically, OSU alumnus and then OSU med school student Brian Shaffer disappeared in a property owned by (and near as I can tell developed by)....OSU.

View attachment 134979

Has The Ohio State University done anything to find one of its own? Would they have any incentive to endeavor to find one of their own, in one of their own properties, the treacherous and 'completely dug up' 'construction area' (circa 4/1/06) of which was apparently (and based on comments of the CPD's lead detective on the case) potentially not adequately secured....?

Along these same lines, when I was digging through some old Lantern articles about the Gateway buildings, I realized something that perhaps I should have recognized or appreciated earlier: there was a ton of controversy around these buildings when they were first built.

As I understand it, the project was initially not well received because several of the older local bars that students used to frequent had to be torn down. Everyone knew the construction process would take years (and it was delayed) so there was concern that students wouldn’t get to enjoy that area during their time on campus.

The need for Gateway to be built was partially explained as essentially the old area was becoming too unsafe for students, and this would make the area safer. While it does appear the area has become safer since those days, imagine the negative publicity that could result if there were more details about what happened to Brian—A controversial building hailed as a student safety need, and yet a student meets harm soon after if opens.

Just food for thought.

That’s weird, I just clicked on it and could view it, still can. IDK.... o_O

I can now view it on my desktop. It might have been on my laptop where it said that you had to subscribe to view. This is on Firefox 60 in Windows 10. Great pics!

Satch

Good points,

If this was an accidental death and it still could have been, it is very strange that Brian on that night met with all the people in his life that night who wear important to him. Said to Alexis weeks earlier after his Mother's death, "Maybe you should find someone else." Has the pains and stress of medical school. All of this could lead to him killing himself far away, or starting a new life far away. Brian Shaffer whether intending to live or intending to die, wanted OUT of the life that had pressured him for a very long time.

His dreams of living on an island, the final "I love you" phone call to Alexis. I think Brian was looking to distance himself from his friends that night, not get closer to him. In hindsight, he had to drop out of life, because he couldn't take it anymore.

Now the million dollar question:

Can we find out from "Comeback" and LE the methods that they tested to leave The Ugly Tuna Saloona, undetected?

Satch

I have always thought it bizaire to claim to know everyone in or out . The video cam simply put was cr&p --

the escalator makes it IMO really easy to not be seen especially at closing

I def think he left the mystery is what then happened.

There conclusion that he did not leave means there was a human body in a building (the bar) for like what forever? Decomp happens

I don't know the exact cement machinery being used but in any case it has to be "aimed" I don't think people would just go ahead an pour on another human being

I think it is most likely that he left and something nefarious happened to him after that.

His friends sure have not sounded like friends for a long time now. Could be as simple and sad as a conflict with the other guy and something horrible happened

jmo

You have to subscribe to view the photo.

Satch

I usually have to turn on JavaScript for a full view of linked articles, etc., on my iPad mini. I read WS with JS turned off because otherwise the pages reload every little bit--very annoying.

ETA I didn't need to subscribe, either.

Embufum, you’ve demonstrated many times that you don’t truly understand occam’s razor. It’s not just that an explanation is simple, it’s that it has the fewest assumptions.

Two strange and unexplained things happened that night: 1. We don’t know how he left and 2. We don’t know where he went. Because these things are unexplained, they naturally require us to make some assumptions. But if the same assumption can explain both, then that can explain 1 and 2 using fewer assumptions than a theory that uses separate assumptions to explain 1 and 2. Therefore the principle of Occam’s razor would state the theory that uses one assumption is more likely than the theory that uses two.

If we assume there is an area in the construction area where a hidden accident occurred, that explains how he left and where he went. One assumption leads to both. It’s not just about “being simple.”

I don’t know why I am even typing this, because it’s been explained so many times and so many different ways by several people, that it actually seems like you’re trying not to understand the principle.

And as it turns out, the rest of your post is a whole lot of speculation that originates in your mind only and has no factual basis.

Hey there, I've been following this case for a long time. You can see my compilation posts about details in earlier months. But I wanted to reply that I think there is another single explanation that explains both questions.

That Brian snuck out to participate in a dangerous activity

I.e. He purposefully leaves under cover to buy drugs and the deal went bad.
I.e. He purposefully leaves to do drugs and OD'd.

I am willing to wager far more people die in bad drug deals or OD-ing than of being buried in secret crevices of buildings.

I stay open to all possibilities, but I think him intentionally sneaking out for some activity that proved dangerous is more likely than him being buried in concrete.

Matt,

I think that Detective Hurst wants to tell people that Brian made it out of the construction site, because to still have his body trapped or wedged in some foundation shows negligence on LE's part, in which case they don't want to be held accountable for over-site.

Satch

I have a hard time believing he accidentally ended up in the floor or walls etc. Though it's not impossible.

Let's say Brian accidentally died in the construction area or elsewhere in the back portions of the bar, but his body was visible. I'd say there'd be more likelihood that parties who found it covered it up and took the body elsewhere to dispose of it.

That could include bar owners, bar staff, construction owners or workers, and anyone who could've assaulted him or provided him with substances he OD'd on.

I still think he made it out alive most likely but then came to his demise due to poor decisions/dangerous activity.

But I'd like to say that my own theories are based on the idea that most witnesses and police have given us accurate info. If anyone lied or got some facts wrong due to inebriation or mistaken memory, it changes the likelihood of other outcomes in my mind.

Most of what is being discussed here is the same as what was discussed in previous years, but I do believe the search of a professor's house and a box of notes from Brian that were discovered at a friend's house were newly publicized this year.

Can you provide links or photos of these notes? I have not heard about the notes or the search of a professors house. Interesting!!
I have a hard time believing he accidentally ended up in the floor or walls etc. Though it's not impossible.

Let's say Brian accidentally died in the construction area or elsewhere in the back portions of the bar, but his body was visible. I'd say there'd be more likelihood that parties who found it covered it up and took the body elsewhere to dispose of it.

That could include bar owners, bar staff, construction owners or workers, and anyone who could've assaulted him or provided him with substances he OD'd on.

I still think he made it out alive most likely but then came to his demise due to poor decisions/dangerous activity.

But I'd like to say that my own theories are based on the idea that most witnesses and police have given us accurate info. If anyone lied or got some facts wrong due to inebriation or mistaken memory, it changes the likelihood of other outcomes in my mind.

Most of what is being discussed here is the same as what was discussed in previous years, but I do believe the search of a professor's house and a box of notes from Brian that were discovered at a friend's house were newly publicized this year.

Hey there, I've been following this case for a long time. You can see my compilation posts about details in earlier months. But I wanted to reply that I think there is another single explanation that explains both questions.

That Brian snuck out to participate in a dangerous activity

I.e. He purposefully leaves under cover to buy drugs and the deal went bad.
I.e. He purposefully leaves to do drugs and OD'd.

I am willing to wager far more people die in bad drug deals or OD-ing than of being buried in secret crevices of buildings.

I stay open to all possibilities, but I think him intentionally sneaking out for some activity that proved dangerous is more likely than him being buried in concrete.

BessDrew: thanks for the post. I agree completely, and in fact posted a similar theory about a month ago (which I realize isn’t anything new—I followed this forum for a long time before I started posting and recognize many good thinkers including yourself came up with this thought long before I did). It was the information from the Comeback podcast about a scent being traced out toward Wendy’s that made me especially think a scenario like this was worth revisiting.

While I still favor a well-concealed construction accident, there are a few aspects of a drug deal (or something similar) theory that actually explain a few other details we know about that night:

1. It could explain why Clint has remained silent/distant (he may have been involved and or had knowledge of the situation and doesn’t want to talk out of fear of self-incrimination and/or retaliation).

2. It could explain Brian’s phone going straight to voicemail immediately after he disappeared (the perpetrator(s) may have turned it off out of fear of it being tracked).

3. It fits well with Brian’s scent being tracked out toward Wendy’s, as he maybe have been led out into a car.

The unfortunate part about this theory is that if it’s true, Brian could be anywhere. On the other hand, the construction accident theory could be investigated much more easily if LE decided to conduct a fresh search (at least they’d have a starting point). I know it seems far-fetched at first glance that he got stuck in some crevice, but we’ve seen this in other cases. And regardless of which theory seems more likely, there is only one that can be easily investigated at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea