OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question, was the phone still going to voice mail Monday evening when CPD started pinging it? Or was it ringing as well?

I believe it was going to voicemail Monday. Someone please correct me if I’m remembering that incorrectly.
@MerryB, seeing as you lived there at the time and attended school there, could you shed any light on the searches that took place along the Olentangy River or Trail? I am assuming these were searched extensively, however these are places where bodies could be concealed easily. I did read that even Randy Shaffer searched here as well.

Im curious as well if there are any places you believe could have or should have been searched that maybe were not paid attention to.

They did search extensively along the river once they realized he was missing.
I do wonder about dumpsters around campus, especially some of those that were behind bars and restaurants, tucked back in alleyways.
The initial assumption was that Brian was around but intentionally not answering calls because of things that had recently transpired, so it wasn’t until they realized he was missing that they began to look around on campus, in dumpsters, etc.

Brian Shaffer Case Enters Year No. 4

dece5b4a-130e-40bd-ad72-945c5fcfb46d_750x422.jpg

image_shaffer-video-280
April 2, 2010
''It's been four years since Brian Shaffer was last seen going up an escalator to a bar near the Ohio State campus, but his brother expressed hope Wednesday that the case would eventually be resolved.

"If I don't see him again, that's OK," said Derek Shaffer. "But just to hear from him (and know) everything's OK; it just makes me sick to my stomach to this day that someone could have possibly hurt him, or beat him like that."

''Columbus police detectives have traveled to six states and the U.S. Virgin Islands to follow upon potential leads in the case.

Central Ohio Crime Stoppers continues to ask for tips in Shaffer's disappearance. It is offering a reward of up to $25,000 for information on his whereabouts.''

What happened to Brian Shaffer? Columbus police continue to work case 14 years after his disappearance
Feb 19 2020 rbbm.
''Foul play has never been ruled out in the Shaffer case, nor has the fact that he perhaps just took off. Detectives have long suspected that the stresses of life, medical school and losing a mother to cancer may have played a part in his disappearance.

After all, "adults can disappear," says Det. Tucker, but she still believes his case is rather suspicious given the family he left behind.

Tucker says she plans to re-interview people from the case, hoping to uncover one more clue. She believes someone already interviewed is withholding information.'

In my opinion he was more likely to commit suicide with all those stressors than he was to just run away from his life.

I believe it was going to voicemail Monday. Someone please correct me if I’m remembering that incorrectly.

They did search extensively along the river once they realized he was missing.
I do wonder about dumpsters around campus, especially some of those that were behind bars and restaurants, tucked back in alleyways.
The initial assumption was that Brian was around but intentionally not answering calls because of things that had recently transpired, so it wasn’t until they realized he was missing that they began to look around on campus, in dumpsters, etc.

Interesting.

From my experience in LE with missing persons where I work, if someone is reported missing police are dispatched to take a report, and then make notifications which would be to chain of command in your district, and Detectives as well and then submit a report. Detectives then determine based on if this is a high risk missing (elderly, child, medical or mental issues, domestic related etc...) or in Brians case just a young college kid who hasnt been seen for a couple days.

I am not certain how fast everything was moving on the case back then but I thought I read that by Monday police were actively searching dumpsters and the land fill, which is fairly fast.

Many times families wait because they think, well he/she will just turn up. But as you know, hours matter, and even by Monday, if they were searching then, they were 2 days behind.

I do think its interesting Brian was and still is listed on ViCAP. The criteria to be placed there is pretty clear.

Interesting.

From my experience in LE with missing persons where I work, if someone is reported missing police are dispatched to take a report, and then make notifications which would be to chain of command in your district, and Detectives as well and then submit a report. Detectives then determine based on if this is a high risk missing (elderly, child, medical or mental issues, domestic related etc...) or in Brians case just a young college kid who hasnt been seen for a couple days.

I am not certain how fast everything was moving on the case back then but I thought I read that by Monday police were actively searching dumpsters and the land fill, which is fairly fast.

Many times families wait because they think, well he/she will just turn up. But as you know, hours matter, and even by Monday, if they were searching then, they were 2 days behind.

I do think its interesting Brian was and still is listed on ViCAP. The criteria to be placed there is pretty clear.

Yes, it wasn’t until his girlfriend Alexis returned from visiting her family in Toledo that they realized something was wrong. No one had heard from him since his night out at UTS, and she had left numerous messages while gone that weekend, but it wasn’t until she went to his apartment on Sunday and saw his bed was still made, his glasses were there, the shower was bone dry, his car was there, etc. that they contacted police. So you are correct that by the time they began searching, they were 2 days behind.

Yes, it wasn’t until his girlfriend Alexis returned from visiting her family in Toledo that they realized something was wrong. No one had heard from him since his night out at UTS, and she had left numerous messages while gone that weekend, but it wasn’t until she went to his apartment on Sunday and saw his bed was still made, his glasses were there, the shower was bone dry, his car was there, etc. that they contacted police. So you are correct that by the time they began searching, they were 2 days behind.

I remember from the podcasts that they stated his phone pinged in a cell tower in Hilliard, OH. Again, Im not familiar with that area except for Google Maps and pictures some people have posted here, but Hilliard seems to be just West along the Scioto River, I wonder if any of the search was conducted along there near Hilliard?

Scioto Darby Creek Road in Hilliard is where the phone rang/pinged, and was supposedly searched at some point early on in the investigation. It partially runs underneath an overpass of the outerbelt highway (I-270) of the Columbus area, which is also near I-70 West. There are railroad tracks on the south side of the road and open fields on the other side, all leading towards an eventual steep hill in the middle of the road.

Could the phone have been turned on and chucked out the window on I-270 by Brian's killer that September day? Driving down that road nearly every day for years, I've often wondered what could be buried or hidden from view in the near vicinity.

I do in my opinion believe all the phone information, from CPD pinging it for that first 30 days and getting responses, as well as the September ringing is compelling and significant. Its a shame technology just wasnt there yet to get more precise information to assist in the search.

I do in my opinion believe all the phone information, from CPD pinging it for that first 30 days and getting responses, as well as the September ringing is compelling and significant. Its a shame technology just wasnt there yet to get more precise information to assist in the search.
So, in your opinion, what do you think that means?

Scioto Darby Creek Road in Hilliard is where the phone rang/pinged, and was supposedly searched at some point early on in the investigation. It partially runs underneath an overpass of the outerbelt highway (I-270) of the Columbus area, which is also near I-70 West. There are railroad tracks on the south side of the road and open fields on the other side, all leading towards an eventual steep hill in the middle of the road.

Could the phone have been turned on and chucked out the window on I-270 by Brian's killer that September day? Driving down that road nearly every day for years, I've often wondered what could be buried or hidden from view in the near vicinity.
Since the time Brian disappeared a lot of land in the Hilliard area has been developed, going from farmland to housing developments and apartment complexes. There is still land to develop, but a lot has been developed since Brian disappeared. When I lived in the area it was very popular because Hillard schools were pretty good.

Hello everyone, new to this site but wanted to say I really have been fascinated by everyone here and how much you all have contributed over all these years. Its no doubt helped me and Im sure people like me to get up to date on this case, great work by all.

I have no idea how I ended up finding this case, but it reeled me in, and its is a tough one which I spent the last few days pouring over, every thread actually, even the podcasts that were done and Youtube videos. Ive gone back and forth so many times but believe I have a good grip on the details and most of everything you all have discussed for so long.

I will say also that I am current LE in a big city and hopefully I can help contribute as much as possible with thoughts and ideas to help with this case and maybe others. Im sure as someone new, there may be a time I repeat a question or a thought someone else posted at a time, so I apologize in advance.

I do, as most here, have feelings on so many of details in this case, but my mind is not made up yet.

Does anyone here still communicate with Det. Hurst? Id love to ask him some questions ...one LE to another! Lol

It's good to see that there's still new people discovering Brian Shaffer's story and taking an active interest. What we don't want is for this missing persons case to be forgotten before there is ever a resolution.

I just submitted it also. Thanks for the link.

Same! This may be our best shot at this case's exposure. However, given what the first 6 episodes of the Unsolved reboot looked like, I'd have a hard time envisioning it for Brian's case given the lack of key players alive or willing sadly.

Det. Hurst certainly would have to be interviewed on camera.

I would think Derek would have to be interviewed too, but I'm not sure he'd be willing to. Randy has passed on. Alexis has moved on with her life to a new partner and family with kids. We know William/Clint wont do *advertiser censored* and seemingly doesn't care about the case. Would they talk to Amber/Brightan? Meredith?

That said, one of the first "new" cases they aired on the netflix Unsolved was a UFO sighting from the late 1960s. I'd love nothing more than for this case to be on there! It deserves the eyeballs. Fingers crossed.

Same! This may be our best shot at this case's exposure. However, given what the first 6 episodes of the Unsolved reboot looked like, I'd have a hard time envisioning it for Brian's case given the lack of key players alive or willing sadly.

Det. Hurst certainly would have to be interviewed on camera.

I would think Derek would have to be interviewed too, but I'm not sure he'd be willing to. Randy has passed on. Alexis has moved on with her life to a new partner and family with kids. We know William/Clint wont do **** and seemingly doesn't care about the case. Would they talk to Amber/Brightan? Meredith?

That said, one of the first "new" cases they aired on the netflix Unsolved was a UFO sighting from the late 1960s. I'd love nothing more than for this case to be on there! It deserves the eyeballs. Fingers crossed.

I've submitted too now. Hope it does some good.

Are there any missing 411 areas near to where Brian disappeared?? Long shot but....
Not really but Missing 411 author David Paulides wrote A Sobering Coincidence - Brian is mentioned is that book and Joey LaBute fits that profile as well. Quite a rabbit hole, though, so be prepared if you read it.

Has nobody considered the possibility that someone could have spiked Brian's drink? I am not sure how drink spiking works however can they be time delayed?? For example is it possible to spike a drink at say 10pm and know that in approx 20 mins, the person will pass out?? If so and it was timed correctly then could that not be a possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77