OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 Apr 2006 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please be careful about getting into bickering arguments that end up being you said/you said. Bickering is a TOS violation. It appears it may have started with some broken quotes that did not copy correctly in replies. It might be a good idea to check your posts to be sure the posts you are quoting copied correctly. At any rate some posts were edited or deleted to remove bickering comments which violate TOS. Instead, please move on from the argument.

THANK YOU for being here for Brian.

<modsnip>

I have acknowledged that Brian's phone communicated with CPD's pings. What I deny is that it continued to do so for the entire month of April. All responses that CPD received from the phone might well have been during the first few days that they were pinging the phone.

<modsnip>
The cell phone pings immediately after his disappearance were separate from the glitch that caused his number to ring 5 months later.

CPD paid to ping Brian’s phone just for the month of April. IMO these pings are how they know he made it out of the building.

The pings at various towers in Columbus (which headed in a westward direction) in April are separate from the cell phone ringing in September.

I did not say Brian’s phone pinged for the entire month of April.
I said his phone pinged after he disappeared, and those pings tell a story if you understand how the data points would have been gathered at that time pre-GPS.
Based on response time and signal strength, they would know how close his phone was to the towers it communicated with.
I also said that I believe the information they have indicates he made it out of the building.
I think what may have led to our misunderstanding is when I said that if Brian was somewhere in the construction area with his phone, it would have to be charged and powered on to ping. It would then have to respond to all those April “pongs” from under concrete or at the very least, a bad service area, which would quickly deplete the battery. I said there’s no way his phone would remain powered up & pinging for the entire month of April, which may have been bad wording, but we don’t know how long it pinged, just that it responded many times during April.
I do not believe the phone would not stay with the tower where the signal is strongest under those circumstances.
MOO

I did not say Brian’s phone pinged for the entire month of April.
I said his phone pinged after he disappeared, and those pings tell a story if you understand how the data points would have been gathered at that time pre-GPS.
Based on response time and signal strength, they would know how close his phone was to the towers it communicated with.
I also said that I believe the information they have indicates he made it out of the building.
I think what may have led to our misunderstanding is when I said that if Brian was somewhere in the construction area with his phone, it would have to be charged and powered on to ping. It would then have to respond to all those April “pongs” from under concrete or at the very least, a bad service area, which would quickly deplete the battery. I said there’s no way his phone would remain powered up & pinging for the entire month of April, which may have been bad wording, but we don’t know how long it pinged, just that it responded many times during April.
I do not believe the phone would not stay with the tower where the signal is strongest under those circumstances.
MOO
It isn't just about which tower has the strongest signal, though. If one tower is busy, the phone will connect with a different tower.

The phone was never located, so it stands to reason that either the triangulation isn't very precise or the phone did not continue pinging for very long.

It isn't just about which tower has the strongest signal, though. If one tower is busy, the phone will connect with a different tower.

The phone was never located, so it stands to reason that either the triangulation isn't very precise or the phone did not continue pinging for very long.
Or whoever had it got rid of it.

There was a case I read about once that reminded me this one;

A Hispanic man was considered missing for a number of years (10 or so) and his body was discovered behind the shelves of the restaurant (or maybe it was a grocery store) where he worked when the establishment was doing renovations.

I can't remember if he starved to death, suffocated, or was crushed. If I remember correctly, his circumstances where a little different. He was the only one in the store at the time, and the store was closed for the (maybe extended) weekend.

Either ways, just reminded me a little of this. He was searched for extensively and it was never thought of to look in that specific place.

There was the case of a missing girl, who was seen on CCTV going into a house, and never walking out.
Similar to Brian's case, there were a lot of theories, it was speculated that she ran away with a taxi driver, that she moved to another region (state) or that she left the country.

LE brought the FBI to search the house where she was last seen going to, they eventually found her body covered with lime, under concrete, it took a little over a year to finally get answers.

With this, i think that Brian will be found in the bar, perhaps if the owners make some renovations, i wonder if LE can use a scan of the walls, even 15 years later.

There was the case of a missing girl, who was seen on CCTV going into a house, and never walking out.
Similar to Brian's case, there were a lot of theories, it was speculated that she ran away with a taxi driver, that she moved to another region (state) or that she left the country.

LE brought the FBI to search the house where she was last seen going to, they eventually found her body covered with lime, under concrete, it took a little over a year to finally get answers.

With this, i think that Brian will be found in the bar, perhaps if the owners make some renovations, i wonder if LE can use a scan of the walls, even 15 years later.
The bar closed 2 years ago and the space was immediately gutted and converted to office space. The larger complex in which the space was located, part of which in 2006 at the time Brian went missing was a 'completely dug up' active construction area, is a better bet.

The bar closed 2 years ago and the space was immediately gutted and converted to office space. The larger complex in which the space was located, part of which in 2006 at the time Brian went missing was a 'completely dug up' active construction area, is a better bet.

It’s possible that he was concealed there, perhaps at one point he was moved.

Interesting. Which case was that?

The thing about the CCTV that bothers me is that Detective Hurst said they went through “10-15 discs” of video footage from the Gateway Complex to see how Brian left and they couldn’t find him anywhere.

That’s quite a bit, and a huge “coincidence”

The one guy in the bar not seen leaving, is the same guy that’s been missing for 15+ years, and the same guy whose phone started going to voicemail barely minutes after he was last seen.

I personally just feel that is way too many consecutive coincidences. But then we have the scent to Wendy’s (and possibly beyond..?) as well as the phone pings. Can we really discard those as well?

Something isn’t adding up here.

That’s why I myself have a hard time believing all of that occurred only for Brian Shaffer to be just living his life on an island somewhere.

The thing about the CCTV that bothers me is that Detective Hurst said they went through “10-15 discs” of video footage from the Gateway Complex to see how Brian left and they couldn’t find him anywhere.

The one guy in the bar not seen leaving, is the same guy that’s been missing for 15+ years, and the same guy whose phone started going to voicemail barely minutes after he was last seen.

I personally just feel that is way too many consecutive coincidences. But then we have the scent to Wendy’s (and possibly beyond..?) as well as the phone pings. Can we really discard those as well?

That’s why I myself have a hard time believing all of that occurred only for Brian Shaffer to be just living his life on an island somewhere.

The case that I referred to earlier was Fernanda Maciel’s case.

I haven’t followed her case lately .

I don’t think that he left everything to live somewhere else, I believe that he met foul play and that his body is concealed at or near the bar.

OK, let's go back to basics:

Who and what would be the motive for killing Brian?

He was just a regular guy, and if he was murdered, there has been some cover up (to not been seen leaving, not on any CCTV discs, phone straight to voicemail, strange phone pings afterwards, apartment broken into, etc.)
Why go to all those lengths? It's a lot of things to have to line up on that night and get right.
Just for killing a med student? It makes no sense.

Who would want him dead? Why?

He was just a regular guy, and if he was murdered, there has been some cover up (to not been seen leaving, not on any CCTV discs, phone straight to voicemail, strange phone pings afterwards, apartment broken into, etc.)
Why go to all those lengths? It's a lot of things to have to line up on that night and get right.

Maybe some case in which he might have seen something he wasn't suppossed to.

Generally, when people are murdered, its over money, drugs, or love (including revenge, spites, jealousies, writing a wrong, etc).

I haven't seen any evidence that he owed money, was involved in drugs, or had any type of love complications.

But, you never truly know a person, even if you have access to all their things after they have passed.

Thank you!
The Homicide Cold Case Unit is located at Central Police Headquarters, 120 Marconi Blvd, Columbus, OH 43215. The detectives work primarily between the hours of 6:00am and 4:00pm. You may contact the Homicide Cold Case Unit at (614) 645-4036. I believe the assigned detective at this time is Ms. Blanch Tucker.

The Homicide Cold Case Unit is located at Central Police Headquarters, 120 Marconi Blvd, Columbus, OH 43215. The detectives work primarily between the hours of 6:00am and 4:00pm. You may contact the Homicide Cold Case Unit at (614) 645-4036. I believe the assigned detective at this time is Ms. Blanch Tucker.
Thanks for the info! I’m afraid I can’t call them.
I did left a tip on Columbus Crime Stoppers, hopefully something comes out of it!

After reading through this thread, I have a question. I keep seeing it stated that "no construction was done on the weekends" and the site was searched on Monday. Where did the info come from, that there was no work done over the weekends? Just curious, I thought construction wasn't a 9-5 M-F type job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288