OH OH - Cierra Chapman, 30, meeting ex bf to exchange items, Trotwood, SUV found in Middletown, 27 Dec 2022

DAYTON — A large search was launched Sunday in the hopes of finding a missing woman last seen in Trotwood.

According to Dayton Police Department, Cierra Chapman was last seen in the early morning hours on Tuesday, Dec. 27 leaving her ex-boyfriend’s apartment in Trotwood.

Chapman was driving her silver Cadillac, SRX 2014, Ohio plate JVQ8612, when she left the apartment.

Her vehicle was recovered on Jewell Avenue in Middletown Friday with no sign of Chapman, according to Maj. Brian Johns, commander of Dayton’s investigations division.

Johns said crews are currently processing the vehicle for evidence.

Her disappearance has been deemed “suspicious.”

“I have no doubt that people here in Dayton, Ohio know what happened. This was an orchestrated event...this was a very well planned out incident so people know,” Johns said.
www.whio.com

Search underway for missing woman; police believe disappearance to be ‘well planned out’

A group of over 60 volunteers and officers gathered Sunday to search from west Dayton to Germantown and Middletown.
www.whio.com
www.whio.com

“We do believe the victim’s vehicle left West Dayton and traveled up Route 4. Her vehicle was a 2014 silver Cadillac SUV,” Maj. Johns said.

Members of Chapman’s family were also on site to help in the search efforts. They have been worried about her safety, and they are begging for anyone with information to come forward.

Somebody had to see something. There’s a lot of cameras around here. It’s a lot of people coming and going,” Toya Gilliard said.

They are hoping these searches lead to answers, so they can finally being Chapman home.

“You call, she came. You need it, she had it. Regardless of the time, day, or season, whatever it was, Cierra was just that person,” Latisha Lofton, Chapman’s sister, said.

Investigators say Cierra Chapman was last seen December 27, leaving a Trotwood apartment complex where her ex-boyfriend lives.

10 days later, Chapman’s car was found at Shelley Street and Jewell Avenue in Middletown.

Her purse and other personal items were inside, but Chapman was nowhere to be found.

“They said it was found here, and she has no friends here, we just don’t know why,” said Toya Gilliard, another family member

The Dock Ellis Foundation has been helping with the search.

"I was out there yesterday in the woods, passing out flyers, sharing flyers on the internet, just keeping the case alive,” said Michelle Luster, the Missing Persons Advocate with the Dock Ellis Foundation.

Dayton Police say Chapman’s disappearance is suspicious.

For Luster, this case hits close to home because her sister went missing 21 years ago.

"Know deep down inside it might not turn out the way you want it to turn out, but you still have hope," said Luster.

Something the family tells Dayton 24/7 Now's Mamie Bah that they have, but as days turn into weeks, keeping hope alive is challenging.

“So we are up and down, up and down, and we just want some type of closure. Please tell us what happened, let's bring her home,” said Gilliard.

“This is not what Chapman would want for us,” said Latisha Lofton. “She wasn’t a Debbie Downer.”

Lofton and the rest of Chapman’s family describe her as fun-loving and a frequent prankster. They miss her energy and just want to know where she is.

“See would be considered the life of the party,” Toya Gilliard said. “When she’s around, there’s joy, there’s fun... and now there’s an empty space there.”

Gilliard said Sunday’s search was frightening. “You never knew what you were going to walk into.”

Dayton police describe Chapman’s disappearance as suspicious. Her family says she has no connections in Middletown.

“No family, no friends... no even reason to be in this location,” Gilliard said.

IMO the response to this has been terrible. Contrast this to the efforts and resources put out for other <modsnip> victims and this seems delayed.Have they still only spoken to the ex BF via phone? Her vehicle is on video leaving but was she the driver? (does anyone have clarity on this?) Anyone in the area with an opinion on this?
IMOO, <modsnip - report, don't reply> Maybe the ex-boyfriend could care enough to mosey on down to the police station and give a statement in person.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMOO, <modsnip - report, don't reply> Maybe the ex-boyfriend could care enough to mosey on down to the police station and give a statement in person.
Can the police compel him to come down and answer questions? I'd have thought not, unless they have evidence to arrest him. Other than that, I think they can just ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, I can't believe LE haven't spoken to the ex-boyfriend in person. He was the last one to see her before she disappeared. That is just SOP. I am discouraged by the response of LE because I feel they came into the investigations with some pre-conceived notions about CC. I thought the general response to missing persons complaints were that the whole wait 48 hours before we do a damn thing has gone by the wayside and that even adults can be reported as a missing person immediately.

I'd like some clarification about the specifics of the case. First, who initiated the break up? Did CC and her boyfriend live together prior to the break up? Did her family know any of the specifics of the break up? How long were they together? Was it a short term relationship that just didn't pan out? When they say cameras saw CC leave around 4:30 am are they referring to seeing her behind the wheel or just identifying the vehicle she drove?

If the cameras saw CC sitting behind the wheel then my immediate thought goes to self harm yet LE are saying her disappearance is suspicious.

I saw this article this morning. Note the caption under the photo - "Search underway for missing woman; police believe disappearance to be ‘well planned out." The article doesn't expand on the comment, but I think it's interesting nonetheless.

I'm really quite perplexed. They previously said that CC was seen at a bar in Middletown. So presumably she was there willingly? That plus the statement in the article that the disappearance was well planned out makes me think that she might be missing on her own volition. But that also seems unlikely.

JAN 15, 2023

Family members of Chapman, Sister Latisha Lofton and Aunt Regina Chapman say Dayton Police have yet to do what as a family expects them to do.

“When we called to report her missing, they gave us to wait two days, it’s already two days too late,” said Regina Chapman. “So we had to stay on them to make a report.”
This makes my blood boil...

FEB 8

Police say her disappearance is considered suspicious at this time.

Dayton Police Major Brian Johns says the department has searched extensively and followed up on leads regarding Chapman.

Johns said that a large search will be conducted Saturday, Feb. 11 involving approximately 30 to 40 people made up of police officers and members of EcuuSearch, a nationwide organization that helps in searches for people missing.

More at Police to conduct large search for missing Dayton woman this Saturday

"People would describe her as the life of the party. She was very energetic," family member, Toya Gilliard said.

Gilliard says nobody has heard from her since Dec. 27.

"They saw her pull into the parking lot. They saw her car leave and another car left behind her and no one has seen her since," Gilliard said.

Now family members and members from the Dock Ellis Foundation are searching for answers to bring this mother home.

"I did reach out to the ex-boyfriend the day she went missing and said he did speak with her but didn't go into details," Chapman's aunt, Regina Chapman said.

Dayton police are expected to announce a reward being offered by the FBI in regards to the case during a news conference around 2:30 p.m., according to a spokesperson for the police department.

On Saturday morning, around 30 people, including members of DPD and Texas EquuSearch, will be conducting a “very large search” for Chapman.

FEB 9, 2023
Johns says there are several target locations where they are going to look for Chapman. Drones, ATVs, and K9s will be utilized in the search, he said.

“We have identified locations based on our investigations that we are going to search,” Johns said.

FEB 10, 2023
[...]

“We’re hoping this $10,000 reward from the FBI will go a long way in us bringing her home,” Dayton police Maj. Brian Johns said Friday.

He called Chapman’s disappearance suspicious and a “well-orchestrated event.”
“From our investigation we do know that people in the Dayton community know what happened to Cierra,” Johns said.

[...]

EquuSearch Midwest posted on its Facebook page Wednesday asking anyone who sees the search to not share details.

“If you see our team out over the weekend, please do not approach, do not take pictures and do not share areas that you may see us out searching in,” the post read. “This case is an open ongoing investigation.”

[...]

FEB 11, 2023
Around 70 volunteers searched areas of southwest Dayton Saturday in the hopes of finding any leads that could bring Cierra Chapman home.

Volunteers included members of the Dock Ellis foundation, Dayton police officers, Equusearch, the Ohio Special Response Team and even the FBI, according to Dayton police Maj. Brian Johns.

[...]

Johns said as of around 12 p.m. Saturday, Chapman had not been found but “it’s still very early.”

“We plan to search all day today, if we don’t find her, keep searching until we do,” Johns said.

[...]

“People in the community, from our investigation, know what happened to Cierra ... she didn’t go missing by accident. This was a planned event. So we need people to come forward and do the right thing and tell us what happened,” Johns said.

[...]

Those a part of the search remind people that these are not public searches and the areas where agencies are seen searching should not be shared for the integrity of the investigation.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back