OH - Condemned child rapist & killer Steven Smith seeks mercy

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by ohiogirl, Apr 2, 2013.

1. ohiogirl

ohiogirl New Member

2. Loading...

3. eileenhawkeye

eileenhawkeye Active Member

Um, yeah, no. What a sicko. I feel like asking for mercy is basically showing that he doesn't think what he did was that bad.

4. Salem

Salem Former Member

What did he think a sexual assault of a 6 month old would result in, if not death? What the heck? We are talking a tiny baby here. Anyone would know and understand that a baby would not withstand such an attack.

Alcohol is no excuse.

Salem

5. AnaTeresa

AnaTeresa New Member

I don't understand why they only charged him with murder. Disgusting.

At least he's not likely to win anyone over with that argument.

6. The Cheese

The Cheese New Member

By all means, show him the exact same amount of mercy as he showed this helpless, defenseless little baby.

Warning - graphic

Emergency medical personnel arrived and discovered Autumn’s
    nude, lifeless body lying on a blanket. They observed injuries on her head and
    bruising around her eyes. They began CPR, and Autumn was transported to the hospital. The emergency room doctor testified that upon her arrival, Autumn had no pulse and had suffered a retinal hemorrhage. In addition to her visible bruising, the physician also stated that Autumn had bruising around her rectum and that the opening of her vagina was ten times the normal size for a baby her age—injuries that are consistent with sexual abuse. After trying to resuscitate Autumn for close to an hour, medical personnel pronounced her dead.

snipped

They also found whitish-colored material, later determined to be
    pieces of shredded diaper, scattered on the floor in the same area near the baby swing and sofa. Small piles of the victim’s hair were found on the coffee table. The police also retrieved a garbage bag from the outside trash dumpster that contained a torn baby diaper, Smith’s tee shirt, and ten empty cans of Busch Ice.

snipped

At trial, in addition to the foregoing evidence, Dr. Marvin S. Platt, the coroner who performed the autopsy, displayed autopsy photographs and slides and testified that the victim died from compression asphyxia and blunt
    trauma to the head. Dr. Platt found that the injuries to the victim’s head and the abrasions on her forehead, cheek, and chin indicated that the victim was lying on her abdomen and that her face had been forced into a pillow.

Contusions to her buttocks indicated that they were subject to pressure from the weight of another person. Dr. Platt further testified that the victim suffered subarachnoid and retinal hemorrhages consistent with shaken baby syndrome, indicating that an attempt had been made to restrain the baby. Other bruising and abrasions revealed that the baby had resisted the attack. The victim was also missing hair from the back of her head, evidence consistent with someone grasping the back of her head.

Furthermore, as attested by the emergency room physician, Dr. Platt found that the victim’s clitoris was red, her vagina was enlarged, and there was a
    hemorrhage in her anus, all indicative of attempted penetration.

http://www.sconet.state.oh.us/rod/docs/pdf/0/2002/2002-ohio-6659.pdf

Rest in peace, sweet little Autumn.

7. ohiogirl

ohiogirl New Member

It really upsets me that so many baby killers get such light sentences. This guy got what he deserved. The trauma this poor baby suffered is inexcusable. Drunk or stupid is no excuse to let this pervert off. Who cares what he intended. We all know what he intended. Appeal denied, I hope.

8. MsFacetious

MsFacetious What a Kerfuffle...

Unfortunately... LEGALLY this guy may win his argument. Crap.

9. believe09

believe09 Active Member

MsFacetious is right-he may very well win his argument. I am impressed he has survived this long in prison-death row inmates must be far away from GP. I wonder if they give him mercy if he will end up in the general population?

Huh. It could be the same outcome in the end....

There is no defense here anywhere...your gf denies you a roll in the hay so you rape a 6 month old?

I dont think so. Drunk or sober, that dog dont hunt. 10 Beers doesnt make you a baby rapist and murderer.

10. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

So if I am getting what he is saying is that he was too drunk to know he was killing her, but not too drunk to sexually assault and torture her?.....

As far as intent. A lot of defendants try to use that. "I wasn't trying to kill him, I just wanted to hurt him when I shot him in the head (or knifed him in the heart or whatever.")

It only takes reasonable knowledge to know that if a child is showing signs of pain and resistance, you are harming the child. He would have had to struggle to maintain control of this baby, and the signs on her shows that he did do that. And he persisted in the assault. And the combination of the assault and the struggle to control killed the baby.

I don't think the defense will hold. As far as him being too drunk to know...... BS!

11. Caligram

Caligram New Member

Scum - just plain old filthy beast-poop.

12. Smelly Squirrel

Smelly Squirrel Has never crawled into a Pontiac Sunfire

I just heard about this story from WAT.
    Governor: No mercy for Ohio man who killed baby

His plea was rejected by the Parole Board and the governor. It's a horrific crime. Just when you think you can't be more shocked, you hear something like this.

13. believe09

believe09 Active Member

There you go. :jail:

14. Nore

Nore New Member

15. believe09

believe09 Active Member

16. oh_gal

oh_gal New Member

Apparently, he wasn't *that* drunk.

Good riddance, although a long, slow painful death, perhaps being raped nightly while in prison, for many, many years, might be more fitting.

17. EmmaliLucia

EmmaliLucia New Member

:great:

When I read something that went into detail about how they found the poor baby and the evidence it was really apparent that he tried to kill her and it didn't just "Happen" while he was raping her. Even if it did I feel like Ohio should have an aggravated murder charge like Oregon does.

18. MsFacetious

MsFacetious What a Kerfuffle...

19. keyleigh

keyleigh Land down under

I feel physically sick. :banghead:

Lock him in general population for a while IMO.
    ETA- just noticed he's scheduled for execution today- again, pop him in general pop and they'll do it for free. POS doesn't deserve to go painlessly. (imo, and normally against the death penalty)

20. mikkismom

mikkismom Active Member

21. Paulette

Paulette Active Member