Identified! OH - Dobbstown, 'Belle in the Well' WhtFem UP6259, 30-60, in cistern, Apr'81 - Louise Petersen

Any chance she may be Anna Ciaccio missing from Papillion, Nebraska on March 5, 1981? I don't see her as a ruleout. Facial may be similar...wt/ht similar and aged 30. With so many ruleouts...worth a shot?

NEW INFO: Examination Completed on Murder Victim From 30 Years Ago

UPDATE 6/22/11 @ 10:30 a.m.

WSAZ-TV from Huntington, West Virginia is reporting that the Lawrence County, Ohio Sheriff's Office recently reopened a 1981 cold case.

The body was recently exhumed and sent to the Boyd County, Kentucky Coroner's Office. The coroner took DNA samples from the body and also took a full body x-ray.

The Boyd County Coroner's Office concurred with the original autopsy that the unid victim was between 30 to 60 years old.

The coroner also found that the victim had a very pronounced overbite, a condition commonly known as "buck teeth".

UPDATE 6/15/11 @ 6 p.m.

In April 1981, two girls playing near their home on Wright Ridge found a woman's body placed down a cistern. The cause of death at the time -- strangulation.

Investigators say the victim was tied around the neck and weighted down to keep her down the well.

The coroner’s report from 1981 says the strangled body was in that well for six months to a year.

The body was so badly decomposed that there were no fingerprints, no identifying features at all.

The sheriff believes the murder victim, found with rubber bands on her wrists and weighing about 140 pounds, was likely not from the area.

ORIGINAL STORY 6/15/11 @ 11 a.m.

LAWRENCE COUNTY, Ohio (WSAZ) -- The investigation into the identity of a woman who was murdered 30 yeas ago has been reopened.

In April 1981, the unknown woman’s body was found in a cistern in the Dobbstown area of the county. Investigators at the time ruled the death a homicide.

The woman was wearing a red sweater and blue jeans with her hands covered by a pair of socks.

Source:

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/Invesigation_into_Womans_Death_Reopened_123919809.html

Socks on her hands...how odd I thought..but here's a creepy thought that flashed to me...socks on her hands to keep nails from clawing (a DNA catcher?) and binding/handcuffs at wrists. Gosh what a creepy thought before bedtime!!

One last creepy thought...maybe he/she had learned this trick in the past because their face etc. had been scratched and this prevented that from happening again. Rubber bands may have meaning for this? Okay enough talking to myself and scaring myself...goodnight!

Maybe she had no gloves and was wearing socks on her hands? Pulling the socks over her hands and securing them with rubber bands?

I think she was probably living a somewhat transient life. She had on a lot of clothing like someone who wore most of their belongings at one time or who was sleeping outdoors. If so she may not be on any missing persons list.

Whoever put her in the cistern had to know it was there. That's not something a person not from the area would know about. Maybe this lady was passing through, hitchhiking, and the wrong person picked her up.

It's odd they found no head hair. It should have been in the cistern even if it had come loose from the scalp. Maybe she had been shaving her head?

I don't know about the transient part--possible, but it's also the normal layering for somebody planning to be outside in coolish weather -- just an example, the kind of thing I used to wear to the youngest Carbuff's high school football games.

The socks aren't mentioned in the Namus clothing description, although the rubber bands are mentioned in the Circumstances section. Are we sure that's correct information?

Almost forgot--head hair. That's the case with many of our unidentified. Not finding hair seems to be fairly normal for older remains.

Carbuff it is in a news article from 2012 (at beginning of this thread)
http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/Invesigation_into_Womans_Death_Reopened_123919809.html
Actually quite a bit of details are in this article.
The MP they were looking at back then had a lot of hair!! Where did it all go like someone said...does it really disintegrate like that?

Yes, I know it's in the news article. I was wondering whether the information in the article had ever been verified, since it doesn't quite match the Namus entry, which seems to be quoting from the original report. Goodness knows we've had enough cases where Namus was missing information, but we've also had plenty of erroneous news reports, too...

The article also states she was 5'4 but they were looking at MP who was 5'7...so who knows what is accurate...I see your point.

In response to the post about a trucker driving down a curvy back road, I thought of a couple of things.

We still have a few coal mines open here in southern WV, so truckers frequently have to drive on curvy back roads, as that is where the coal mines are or they are the only way to a main highway.

Also, has anyone checked to see if there were any coal mines near the area where she was found?

NibblerGP,
I am not sure how to find coal mines that were back in 1979 but sure that there were plenty. You may already know these routes but I am just putting it out there....
both US 52 and SR 243 are in Ohio and accessible from both states (KY, WV) which could have been an accessible route for any vehicle. US 52 is a link for many major highways within many states (which means she could have been picked up by anybody traveling from another state/or trucker). Sounds like she may have been looking to catch bus from Ashland, KY to Huntington, WV. So, perhaps the journey started in Ashland and traveled along US 52 to Ohio. It would only be a bit over 30 minutes (maybe longer back then or with truck etc,) to reach McKinney Creek-Greasy Ridge Rd in Chesapeake, OH from Ashland, KY. So driving a truck, as you pointed out, would have been possible IMO

Hi -

Belle in the Well has been selected as a case for the DNA Doe Project.

They need to raise $1370 to proceed with her case and have only raised $190 to date. Link to her case here:

http://cases.dnadoeproject.org/mesmerize/belle-in-the-well/

Additionally, here are some details about their process:

“DNA Doe Project, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit humanitarian initiative created to help identify Jane and John Does and return them to their families. Does can't speak for themselves, so we must speak for them. The DDP acts as a portal for agencies, donors, and volunteers to work together to bring closure to the unnamed dead.

The process we use is similar to that used by adoptees searching for their birth families. However, we do not go through Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) companies to sequence DNA samples. Instead, we collaborate with independent laboratories and bioinformatics experts to generate DTC-like data based on degraded DNA typical of John and Jane Doe case. We have also developed analysis tools to characterize the level of degradation and to assess the potential for success. Even if we are not able to make an identification, we can often generate clues to the geographic origins and ethnicity of a Doe. This information can be helpful to agencies in narrowing the focus of their investigations.

To help keep costs down, the DNA Doe Project relies on volunteers from the genetic genealogy community who have the requisite skills and experience. Analysis may take several months, depending on case-specific issues. We work on a best-effort basis. As an added benefit of our program, the submitting agency will receive a digital version of the Doe's full genome, alleviating concerns about further sample degradation or exhaustion.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump - DNA Doe Project still needs donations for his DNA sequencing. Link in the post above :)

Bump - DNA Doe Project still needs donations for his DNA sequencing. Link in the post above :)

Eeekkk. I meant “her” DNA sequencing. Oh my, the perils of the copy/paste feature.

DDP Update .... :happydance:

The second round of DNA sequencing for Belle in the Well has come in and we have uploaded the new data to GEDMatch. This is giving us better clarity and confidence in what we are seeing, and the potential for additional DNA cousins who might help us get closer to finding Belle's immediate family. Thanks to all of you who generously donated for this round of sequencing!

I’m so glad that she is being compared through DDP. This is amazing!

Bumping for Belle. DDP has raised $950 of the $1370 goal they need: http://cases.dnadoeproject.org/mesmerize/belle-in-the-well/

It’s covered! I asked for an update last week and they said this:

“Thanks Tara. We haven't had time to update the website but did post here awhile ago that we went ahead with the second round of sequencing for Belle and Mill Creek Shed Man. We received lots of donations and made up the differences with the excess from Lyle Stevik's contributions and our general fund donations. Thank you ALL for your support!”

As of last weekend, they updated further:

“The second round of DNA sequencing for Belle in the Well has come in and we have uploaded the new data to GEDMatch. This is giving us better clarity and confidence in what we are seeing, and the potential for additional DNA cousins who might help us get closer to finding Belle's immediate family. Thanks to all of you who generously donated for this round of sequencing!”

Hopefully we’ll hear more soon ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Wonder how DDP's research is coming along for Belle in the Well

It has been an incredible month or so with ID of MK and LS, has been right at a month since the last update on Belle in the Well, would like to know the current progress that has been made.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back