OH - Dorothy Brown, 76, beaten to death, Cleveland, 17 Dec 1999

believe09

Reaction score
CINCINNATI (AP) — An Ohio man who was exonerated after spending 13 years in prison for murder cried as a federal jury found that two Cleveland police detectives violated his civil rights by coercing and falsifying testimony and withholding evidence that pointed to his innocence.
The jury's verdict on Friday, which included awarding $13.2 million to David Ayers of Cleveland for his pain and suffering, brings an end to the legal battle he's been fighting since his arrest in the 1999 killing of 76-year-old Dorothy Brown.

LINK HERE

There is no way for me to snip this story for you. You have to read it. You have to read the lengths these detectives went to to frame this man. It reminds me of the Kirstin Lobato case in NV.

New feature article:

http://www.clevelandmagazine.com/ME...19&tier=4&id=BB67DE05C2CC430CBDFA7CAE4F18A600

David Ayers does not expect good fortune. In his new job as a Horseshoe Cleveland security guard, he makes his rounds amid customers who hope they'll be rewarded for no reason but luck. Ayers does not share their optimism. Good news surprises him.

Ayers spent 11 years in prison for the murder of his elderly neighbor, Dorothy Brown, a crime he says he did not commit. He was released from prison in 2011, his conviction overturned, the charge against him dismissed. Two years later, his lawsuit against the Cleveland police officers who arrested him ended in victory — with a $13.2 million judgment from a federal jury...

But in December, a federal appeals court upheld the verdict and judgment against retired Cleveland homicide detective Denise Kovach and her late partner, Michael Cipo. The court's opinion included a near-endorsement of Ayers' main arguments for his innocence: that DNA from the scene of Brown's 1999 death points to another unknown man as the killer, and that the detectives, among other errors, manipulated jailhouse informant Donald Hutchinson to get Ayers convicted.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back