GUILTY OH - Doyle, 88, & Lilian Chumney, 79, Tuscarawas County, 21 Jan 2015

Maybe it wasn't a kidnapping at all. Maybe someone killed them then put the bodies in the car, drove it to another location and torched it, hoping to destroy any evidence of the true cause of death. They said no evidence of a break in at the house. If it was a stranger, why drive the car away and burn it? MOO

Maybe it wasn't a kidnapping at all. Maybe someone killed them then put the bodies in the car, drove it to another location and torched it, hoping to destroy any evidence of the true cause of death. They said no evidence of a break in at the house. If it was a stranger, why drive the car away and burn it? MOO

Exactly! Very strange!
IMOO.

Go back and read articles again. Think they have been updated. Daughter said front door was opened, house was ransacked, and house was robbed.

Go back and read articles again. Think they have been updated. Daughter said front door was opened, house was ransacked, and house was robbed.

"We were trying to call them and nobody answered. So I came up here, and their car is gone, and the lockbox and the keys, and the safe is open," said a woman identifying herself as Diane Enama, the couple's daughter.

What is strange is that the Daughter said when she found out about the robbery that she said to the police that they were kidnapped. How would she know that they were kidnapped? That was NOT mentioned in the 911 call.

http://www.indeonline.com/article/20150122/NEWS/150129684

People who knew Doyle and Lillian Chumney describe them as a quiet couple who loved to dance.
“Everywhere there was a dance, it seemed they were there,” said Elsie Chambers, who lives at the Franklin Terrace Seniors apartments in Strasburg, near the Chumney home at 308 Bodmer Ave. SW.
Chambers was eating lunch Thursday at the Tuscarawas County Senior Center in Dover with a friend, Ed Slutz, who also lives at Franklin Terrace.
The Chumneys would go dancing at the senior center, the Stone Creek grange hall and in Canton, Chambers said.
“They loved to square dance,” she said.
Slutz described the Chumneys as “top-notch people. You couldn’t be any better than they were.”
“They were really great,” added Chambers. “They would help anyone.”
The Chumneys ate their lunch almost every day at the senior center, and would take two meals to go, said Pam Ferrell, the center’s executive director. “They had a lot of friends here.”
At lunch Thursday, the senior center held a moment of silence for the couple, she said.
Doyle Chumney was a 1944 graduate of Dover High School. He worked at Goshen Dairy for 36 years, making deliveries in Dover and New Philadelphia.
He grew up on a farm in Tuscarawas County and was the oldest of five brothers. His mother was from Switzerland and his father was from Tennessee, according to Gale Huffman of Strasburg, a first cousin of Doyle.
“He did a lot of walking in Strasburg,” Huffman recalled. “When the weather was decent, he would walk all over town.”
The last time Huffman spoke to his cousin was late last summer. Chumney was out walking and came past Huffman’s home. “He came over, and we talked for about a half an hour,” Huffman said. “We had a beer together.”
Huffman’s daughter, Fran Gerber, said Lillian was a regular customer at My Lady Beauty Salon in Strasburg, which is owned by Gerber.
“She came every week to have her hair done,” said Gerber. “She was so friendly and everyone always enjoyed talking to her. She would usually get her hair done every Wednesday, because she and Doyle would go dancing in the evening.
“When (Lillian’s daughter) Diane Enama’s children were younger, Lillian would watch them quite often and she would always schedule her hair appointments around her baby-sitting,” said Gerber. “Her grandchildren were everything to her.” The Chumneys, who had four children, lived at their home on Bodmer Avenue for more than 30 years. On Wednesday evening, a candlelight vigil was held on the lawn of the Masonic lodge at Bodmer Avenue, a short distance from the Chumney home. The event was sponsored by Lifebridge North church, Strasburg United Methodist Church and other churches in the community, said Jason Rissler, Lifebridge’s pastor. “When this situation arose, we got in touch with each other and decided to host this event,” he said. About 50 people were in attendance. “It was a meaningful time, about a 20-minute vigil with prayer, worship and scripture reading,” he said. “We saw it as an opportunity to pray for the Chumneys and their family and pray for the community,” Rissler said. “We wanted to show our support for the family.”
He said many residents have a “helpless feeling” after an event like this, adding: “It was a way to do something.”

http://www.indeonline.com/article/20150122/NEWS/150129719/1994/NEWS

Human remains found in car of missing Strasburg couple (UPDATED 8:30 p.m.)
Forensic testing will be conducted to confirm if the human remains found inside a burned car Thursday near Bakersville are those of a missing Strasburg couple, but authorities believe that it is Doyle and Lillian Chumney.

BAKERSVILLE
Forensic testing will be conducted to confirm if the human remains found inside a burned car Thursday near Bakersville are those of a missing Strasburg couple, but authorities believe that it is Doyle and Lillian Chumney.

Doyle, 88, and Lillian, 79, were last heard from about 11:15 p.m. Tuesday. Their home at 308 Bodmer Ave. SW was found ransacked Wednesday morning by their daughter.

“We have two victims in the car that we recovered, which did belong to the people in Strasburg,” Strasburg Police Chief Robert Kutcher said, adding that he believes it is the Chumneys.

Speaking briefly to the media at about 6:30 p.m. Thursday, near where the car was found, he said the investigation is ongoing, and that “we are actively searching for suspects at this time.”

A motorist reported shortly before noon Thursday he saw a burned car on Adams Township Road 244 in Coshocton County. The car has been identified as the 1986 Pontiac Parisienne belonging to the couple, according to Chief Deputy Orvis Campbell of the Tuscarawas County Sheriff’s Department.

The motorist called Coshocton County Sheriff’s Department. A deputy responding to the scene saw what appeared to be human remains inside the car. The department then notified the Tuscarawas County Sheriff’s Department, which also dispatches for Strasburg police.

Campbell said he was in an airplane flying over the northern portion of Tuscarawas County searching for the vehicle at the time. After landing, he and Sheriff Walt Wilson went to the scene to offer assistance.

“The case falls under the responsibility of the Strasburg Police Department, and we will continue to assist as Chief Kutcher requests,” Campbell said.

“Because of the intensity of the fire, it will require further investigation — including DNA testing or checking dental records — to determine the identity of the remains,” Campbell said.

There is no indication of the cause of death, he said.

The Coshocton County Coroner responded to the scene and is assisting in the investigation.

“The car was very badly burned, but it’s definitely their car,” Campbell said. “Investigation continues into the cause of the fire and if an accelerant was used.”

The car was transported about 6:45 p.m. Thursday to a secure location for further testing by agents of the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation, who are assisting Strasburg police. The car, covered by a tarp, was transported atop a flatbed tow truck.
The car was found on a narrow gravel road, just outside Bakersville and south of state Route 751. There are gas and oil wells along the road, and some residences in the general area.

“If you’re driving on that road, it would be impossible to miss seeing the car,” Campbell said. “We’re asking anyone who traveled on that road Wednesday or Thursday, but didn’t see the car, to call and tell us because that will help with the timeline of events.”

Campbell said that authorities have received a few calls, mostly related to possible sightings of the car before it was found.

Frantic 911 call from daughter
In a panicked call to 911, Diane Enama, the daughter of Doyle and Lillian Chumney, tells dispatchers the home of her mother and father has been ransacked, and they are missing. The dispatcher works to keep Enama calm during the more than six-minute call, which was made at 11:24 a.m. Wednesday. Portions of the call are transcribed below:

Enama: I just came to check on my parents, they’re not here, their car is gone and somebody has ransacked the place.

Dispatcher: OK, does it look like the house has been like forced entry?

Enama: Um, nobody [inaudible], the lockbox and safe keys are all over the place.

Dispatcher: OK, and their car is not there you said?

Enama: No, no.

Dispatcher: OK, is there anywhere they would be this time of day?

Enama: They were supposed to go get my brother to take him to the airport, and he called me to tell me that they were not there when they were supposed to be. And I said, ‘Well, that’s funny because I tried to call them at 8 o’clock this morning and nobody answered.’ And I thought when they didn’t answer, I thought it was because maybe they had stayed overnight with [inaudible] to the airport.

Dispatcher: So what time were they supposed to be taking somebody to the airport?

Enama: They were supposed to pick up my brother in Massillon at 10:30. My brother tried to call them, but they didn’t answer for him either.

Dispatcher: OK, OK. So you tried to call the house today, but nobody answered?

Enama: I tried to call at 8, he tried to call at 8:30, he tried to call at I think he said 10:30.

Dispatcher: OK. I’ve got an officer that’s responding. He’s going to be there in just a few minutes, OK? Your officers are right in Strasburg, so it’s not going to take them too long there to you, OK? Try to stay calmed down.

Enama: Oh Lord, please keep them safe. Please keep them safe, Lord.

fishy....

TIMELINE: WHAT WE KNOW
Tuesday
11:15 p.m.: Doyle and Lillian Chumney have a telephone conversation with their son.
Wednesday
8 a.m.: The Chumneys’ daughter, Diane Enama, calls their home at 308 S. Bodmer Ave., Strasburg. No one answers.
10:30 a.m.: The Chumneys are scheduled to arrive in Massillon to pick up their son and transport him to the airport. They do not arrive. The Chumneys’ son calls his sister.
11:24 a.m.: After arriving at the home of her mother and father, Enama calls 911.
Around noon: A dispatcher alerts area law enforcement that Doyle and Lillian Chumney are missing, their home ransacked.
12:59 p.m.: An endangered missing adult alert is released to the news media by the Ohio Attorney General’s Office.
Thursday
Shortly before noon: The Chumneys’ 1986 Pontiac Parisienne is discovered burned along Adams Township Road 244 in Coshocton County. Authorities said the remains of two people were discovered inside.
6:30 p.m.: Strasburg Police Chief Robert Kutcher tells media he believes the remains discovered are those of the Chumneys.
6:45 p.m.: Vehicle moved to a secure location for further investigation by agents with the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation, who are assisting Strasburg police.

This is very sad. I wish they would share the reason the family immediately thought kidnapping. It looks as though they lived in a modest home and drove a 28 yo vehicle so I wonder what kidnappers thought they would gain. The only reason I can even imagine is maybe the daughter believed someone in the family may have profited something by taking them. Just strange.

JMO

Because the house was ransacked, their vehicle was missing, and they didn't show up at the airport to pick up their son as scheduled, I believe.

TIMELINE: WHAT WE KNOW
Tuesday
11:15 p.m.: Doyle and Lillian Chumney have a telephone conversation with their son.
Wednesday
8 a.m.: The Chumneys’ daughter, Diane Enama, calls their home at 308 S. Bodmer Ave., Strasburg. No one answers.
10:30 a.m.: The Chumneys are scheduled to arrive in Massillon to pick up their son and transport him to the airport. They do not arrive. The Chumneys’ son calls his sister.
11:24 a.m.: After arriving at the home of her mother and father, Enama calls 911.
Around noon: A dispatcher alerts area law enforcement that Doyle and Lillian Chumney are missing, their home ransacked.
12:59 p.m.: An endangered missing adult alert is released to the news media by the Ohio Attorney General’s Office.
Thursday
Shortly before noon: The Chumneys’ 1986 Pontiac Parisienne is discovered burned along Adams Township Road 244 in Coshocton County. Authorities said the remains of two people were discovered inside.
6:30 p.m.: Strasburg Police Chief Robert Kutcher tells media he believes the remains discovered are those of the Chumneys.
6:45 p.m.: Vehicle moved to a secure location for further investigation by agents with the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation, who are assisting Strasburg police.
Maps of different routes from the Chumney's to approximately where they were found, via google map

1b7ba8bee955d44fffc000fafd2e6678.jpg

2ce6fccad2d55fef6f6a58fb0bce2775.jpg

ef5f8289fe0afcbf2f09f96f5c2df9bc.jpg

I don't know what a hinky meter is but I think mines going off!

watch this space...

I don't know what a hinky meter is but I think mines going off!

watch this space...

I'm very sad about this one. I will be interested to see what happens and certainly hope this case is solved more quickly than the Dermonds.

So... the elderly parents were supposed to drive their adult son to the airport?

It's terrible for someone to reach these ages in good health and then to be killed by some punk wanting to rob them. I hope they were dead before the car fire and that they didn't suffer a lot. I sure hope whoever did this is caught and harshly punished. Does Ohio have the death penalty?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back