GUILTY OH - Doyle, 88, & Lilian Chumney, 79, Tuscarawas County, 21 Jan 2015

The neighbors report the garage door was always left open. If they always left the door open, my guess is they didn't keep the door to the garage locked either. It's very likely the person just walked in, taking them by surprise. This would account for the forced entry. Same goes for if it was a tenant/former tenant. The couple may have welcomed them in, even if they were suspicious.

I am guessing the garage door was left up..but the door to the house was kept locked. Lots of people do this. They leave the garage door in the up position but they will lock their doors. It makes sense they would lock their doors, especially if they kept "lock-boxes" within the home.

Just as others made mention that the couple had an older car and didn't seem to have a newer/nicer home. That does not mean they did not have valuable possessions. If they had lock-boxes, they obviously had something worth locking up.

Officials continue investigation in deaths of Strasburg couple http://on.wkyc.com/1BMd0y5

635575506041749918-012215-LocationOfBurntCar-RandyWhite.JPG

Watching this video it just sickens me! How could anyone do this to another human being?!

If you google-map (street view) their address you can see that the garage is detached from the house, the garage door is open & the car is sitting in it.

Officials continue investigation in deaths of Strasburg couple http://on.wkyc.com/1BMd0y5

View attachment 68013

Watching this video it just sickens me! How could anyone do this to another human being?!

If you google-map (street view) their address you can see that the garage is detached from the house, the garage door is open & the car is sitting in it.
78cae76202ba745f142a29cc5c66c46b.jpg

This is a screenshot from google maps street view ( I cannot add the link from my phone) of their car in their garage. Since not many of these are out on the road I am hoping someone noticed it & comes forward.

Ah, the garage is detached. Strasburg is a town of 2600. I wonder if they locked their doors? Although, the town being so small, it makes it much more likely this was targeted and that they knew the attackers, imo.

WJER
46 mins ·

State and local officials announced Friday the creation of a special, multi-jurisdictional task force to jointly investigate the double homicide of Doyle and Lillian Chumney of Strasburg. The task force includes investigators from the Attorney General's Bureau of Criminal Investigation, Coshocton County Sheriff's Office, Strasburg Police Department, Tuscarawas County Sheriff's Office, Coshocton County Prosecutor's Office, Tuscarawas County Prosecutor's Office, and the Coshocton County Coroner's Office. The task force asks that anyone with information about the crimes call one of the numbers listed below.
• Bureau of Criminal Investigation: 855-BCI-OHIO (855-224-6446)
• Coshocton County Sheriff's Office: 740-622-3769
• Strasburg Police Department: 330-878-7011
• Tuscarawas County Sheriff's Office: 330-339-2000

Who would rob 2 people that old, and have to kill them? Why not just rob them? Why go through the trouble of kidnapping them?

The car is ancient, and how would you know how much $$$ was there?

This case sounds personal. The average criminal would not have to kill them.

Who would rob 2 people that old, and have to kill them? Why not just rob them? Why go through the trouble of kidnapping them?

The car is ancient, and how would you know how much $$$ was there?

This case sounds personal. The average criminal would not have to kill them.

YES! You have perfectly stated all I wanted to point out but couldn't put together for some reason. They had to kill them because the couple knew them. Why did they know them? Because...they were...related to them? They went to church with them? They rented to them?

Whoever it was had been in that home before....because they knew about those lock boxes. I think that narrows it down even more.

Yeah, these 2 people knew who killed them. If I was a criminal, would I want to steal some 25 year old car, with 2 people needing medicine and just high maintenance, and you have to keep an eye on 2 people to escape? A criminal just does not want all that baggage.

YES! You have perfectly stated all I wanted to point out but couldn't put together for some reason. They had to kill them because the couple knew them. Why did they know them? Because...they were...related to them? They went to church with them? They rented to them?

Whoever it was had been in that home before....because they knew about those lock boxes. I think that narrows it down even more.

I keep thinking the same thing, which makes me even sadder.

Hopefully I can say this, my grandparents are roughly the same ages as the Chumneys. If this were to have happened to my grandparents, my first suspect would be the grandchildren.

Community gathers to grieve the loss of Doyle and Lillian Chumney: http://youtu.be/hUQ8q4OQyas WOIO 19ActionNews

This video shows the area where the car was found, the ground around the car that was burned & the vigil this evening.

3fd45ed1ca492c1d5656f0017b7bdc29.jpg
I stopped the video at 1min 25 sec and this is the screenshot. It looks as if there are some areas that did not burn as intensely. Seeing this I am praying that it provides Law Enforcement with information needed to arrest the perpetrator(s)

So would anyone be able to find stats about what percentage of home invasion-type robberies are committed by strangers, who then leave the (multiple! Also elderly!) victims' bodies like 20 miles away, rather than leaving them at the scene?

I mean has that ever even happened before?

JMO

So would anyone be able to find stats about what percentage of home invasion-type robberies are committed by strangers, who then leave the (multiple! Also elderly!) victims' bodies like 20 miles away, rather than leaving them at the scene?

JMO

I cannot post the link correctly but the FBI has a chart with 2013 stats & breaks it down but I will try

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...murder_circumstances_by_relationship_2013.xls

I'm wondering if this could be local-ish, young-ish drug users who had some kind of connection with the Chumneys and knew about their rental properties and even that they had a strongbox. Maybe it was a robbery that went wrong because the couple tried to fight back, or refused to reveal the code of the strongbox?

I can imagine someone with previous criminal convictions being aware of the importance of destroying any DNA they may have left on the couple's bodies. Unless the original plan included forcing the couple to drive to a bank ATM, to get them to withdraw cash?

Either the perp/perps live within walking distance of where the Chumneys burnt car was found, or they have a vehicle themselves, which they used to drive away from the crime scene. Hopefully, someone may have spotted the victims' and suspect's cars together at some point in that case, and be able to provide a vehicle description.

Rest in peace, Doyle and Lilian. :(

In a smaller town too, most personal bank employees would very likely know their financial status of amounts averaging in their accts. I'd be checking that list for suspects too, but really seems whomever knew they had stashes.

JMO

I can't remember the name of the case, but I remember a killing spree a yr or two ago. And the killer would kidnap an older couple and take them on the road, kill them and dump them. Does anyone else remember that monster?

Just read up on this - how horrible. These people are only just slightly older than my parents! I hope they find the animals who did this.

A note on the rental properties - my guess is that they didn't just recently buy a bunch of property (though it's possible) - they've likely had these for years, so there's probably a bit of equity there. These people likely had a decent inheritance to leave, though I'm not saying I suspect the kids. Even if they didn't have a ton of money socked away in the bank (and they may have, who knows) - they likely had 'savings' via the equity in the rentals.

Just read up on this - how horrible. These people are only just slightly older than my parents! I hope they find the animals who did this.

A note on the rental properties - my guess is that they didn't just recently buy a bunch of property (though it's possible) - they've likely had these for years, so there's probably a bit of equity there. These people likely had a decent inheritance to leave, though I'm not saying I suspect the kids. Even if they didn't have a ton of money socked away in the bank (and they may have, who knows) - they likely had 'savings' via the equity in the rentals.

http://auditor.co.tuscarawas.oh.us/search.aspx

http://auditor.co.tuscarawas.oh.us/detail.aspx?number=19-01366-000&taxyear=2015

Parcel #: 19-01366-000
Owner: CHUMNEY DOYLE & LILLIAN TRUSTEES - CHUMNEY FAMILY REV LVG TR
Legal: 3 10 22 PR SE & NE .018A

http://auditor.co.tuscarawas.oh.us/detail.aspx?number=23-01008-000&taxyear=2015

Parcel #: 23-01008-000
Legal: 3 10 22 PR NE & SE .600A

http://auditor.co.tuscarawas.oh.us/detail.aspx?number=71-00148-000&taxyear=2015

Parcel #: 71-00148-000