OH OH - Erica Baker, 9, Kettering, 7 Feb 1999

http://wdtn.com/2014/02/07/justice-for-erica-inside-the-erica-baker-case/

Green took us to the corner of Glengarry and Powhatten where he believes Erica was hit. It was a day of a busy hockey tournament at Kettering Rec. “He knew because he was here that there were cars parked up and down this roadway, cuz both those parking lots were full and he said the little girl darted out and he hit her...

Gabriel has always claimed that he and his late accomplice, Jan Franks, were shoplifting that day, fueled by drugs and alcohol that dulled his memory. Green doesn’t buy it.

“He knew where he was. He knew how he was driving, so he had clear recollection of specific details, absolutely, he referred to her body as twisted and broken when he observed it underneath his van, his words twisted and broken. Don’t tell me he was drunk and then in detail told me the positioning of her body, how he rested it in the hole he dug, placed her arms across her chest and covered her face with Jan Franks’ jacket and a hood. That’s detail and you don’t just bury an individual and not know where it happens and where you’ve done it.”

Bump. So sad that there’s still no closure. Makes me mad the lawyer won’t speak up for an innocent little girl

I lived down the street from Erica when she went missing. I would walk past her house every day and it was plastered with missing posters and pictures of Erica. Her brother was in one of my classes as well. I really do not buy this hit and run story at all.

If it hasn't been mentioned here the lawyer did testify before a grand jury and nothing came from it. I believe the reason she refused to testify is that she represented another "person of interest" in this case. I also believe christian j. gabriels first confession was his most truthful. It wasn't just him and jan. Prayers for the family.

Sometimes I cannot imagine what goes through peoples heads. To state the absolute obvious- why on earth, after knocking down a child, wouldn't you call and ambulance and try and help her? What were they thinking? To put this famliy through so much hell when- yes they would have suffered terribly if Erica had been knocked down and killed- but the would've been able to have a decent burial and grieve for her. This is just unforgivable.

Both of them seem to have had previous run-ins with the law. They may have had warrants out on them and didn't want to draw attention to themselves for that reason. Like someone else previously stated, pure selfishness.

Erica Baker was also featured amongst images of "Missing Children" that were shown after the episode Lost of 7th Heaven back in November 2001!

Bumping for Erica, missing 22 years. I'm not sure I believe the "hit and run" story either. Police seem to have done all they could to charge Christian Gabriel and attempt to dig in locations. But what if there's more to it, others who were in the van, a kidnapping and assault not just that she was hit by the vehicle? The family deserves honest answers-and to have Erica's remains for burial. She'd be 31 years old, her life has value!

Kettering Police, EquuSearch to look for Erica Baker 22 years after disappearance
by Bryn Caswell
Monday, April 5th 2021

The search for Erica Baker resumes

KETTERING, Ohio (WKEF/WRGT) -- She was just nine years old when she disappeared, and it’s been more than 20 years since she was last seen. The search for Erica Baker now getting some new help. The Kettering girl was last seen in 1999, but is presumed dead. Police are now teaming up with Texas EquuSearch Midwest to look for her remains.
“Until that moment, we will have no rest really,” said Erica’s dad, Greg Baker.
Baker is remaining hopeful as the search resumes for the remains of his daughter.
Texas EquuSearch Midwest announced Monday it will be searching this weekend with Kettering Police that will hopefully lead to a break in the cold case.
“We want to revisit those areas that weren’t really searched like they could be,” said David Raider, director of Texas EquuSearch Midwest.
In 1999, Erica was never seen again after being dropped off at her mom’s house on Pobst Street and taking her dog on a walk toward the Kettering Rec Center around 4:30 p.m.
Police say it was a hit-and-run at the intersection of Glengarry and Powhattan.
“They have been behind-the-scenes still going forward with the investigations, which I’m glad they’re doing this,” said Baker.
All parties understand since so much time has passed this search is different than most missing person cases.
“We are looking for morcillas now,” said Raider. “We are not looking for a whole Erica. We are looking for one piece that would at least put us in the direction that we are in the right spot.”
Closure is a gift Baker hopes his family can have soon.
“It’s been 22 years and we’ve done a lot and we’ve learned a lot,” Baker added. “I hope maybe we can find something.”
Baker wants to thank the community for their support and non-stop efforts throughout the years to bring Erica home. Even if this weekend is a bust, Baker said he isn’t ever giving up.
Now, Christian Gabriel admitted to being in the van that hit and killed Erica, then hid the body somewhere. He spent six years in prison for gross abuse of a corpse and tampering with evidence and has since been released.
If you have any information about Erica Baker's disappearance, call Kettering Police at 937-296-2555
-------------------------------

Texas EquuSearch Midwest conducts second search for Erica Baker, missing since 1999

For the second time in recent weeks, Texas EquuSearch Midwest has helped search for a young girl who has been missing for more than 20 years.

Texas EquuSearch Midwest teams searched for Erica on Saturday. It is the second time the organization has helped with the case in recent weeks.

Despite swampy surfaces and some wet weather, Director Dave Rader said they spent hours searching the Caesar Creek area in Waynesville.

“You’re facing mother nature by everything’s in bloom. Everything is real thick and covered up, so it makes it a little bit more of a challenge,” Rader said. “We went ahead and did Google maps to see what it was like back 22 years ago, and we found that there was a lot of places that we looked into that almost were the same as what it was 22 years ago as far as access roads.”

Rader said unfortunately, they did not discover anything related to Erica’s case.

There’s an update here can somebody post a link please as not working for Europeans. Police, hypnosis used on the last person that saw Erica alive. Thankyou,
For the first time we are seeing video of police hypnosis used on the last person to see 9-year-old Erica Baker alive.

An elderly man named Rex and his wife were walking near the Kettering Rec Center the day she went missing, Feb. 7, 1999.

In the video, he vividly recalls details about that rainy winter day seeing Erica walking with her dog, Jamie, in the park.

2428e586-e174-4394-a328-15ffd1375f1a-medium16x9_JamiePic.jpg

The couple eventually discovered the dog shivering nearby.

He recalls that fateful day, but doesn't offer any hints as to where she might have gone. This left investigators with few answers about what may have happened.

Police hypnosis is a controversial tactic used in the 1980s and 1990s, but has faded from police work since.

The 'Missing Erica Baker' podcast from Dayton 24/7 Now

EPISODE TITLE

Chapter 2: When Night Becomes Day

EPISODE DESCRIPTION

On February 7, 1999, an older couple was walking their dog in a local park, when they spot something unusual in the distance: A small, wet dog. Days later, police contact the couple and ask them to come in for questioning – and hypnosis – connected to the Erica Baker disappearance. Days bleed into nights, and Dayton 24/7 Now Reporters start piecing together what happened that day.

TRANSCRIPT

MISSING ERICA BAKER: EPISODE 2

EPISODE AIR DATE: 6/22

SCRIPT:

PREROLL LOCATION

911 Operator:

Kettering 911, what's your emergency?

Pam:

My granddaughter has disappeared.

BRYN CASWELL: A little girl vanishes into thin air.

Misty:

I looked under cars, I looked in bushes.

NATHAN EDWARDS:The investigation still haunts the community.

Greg Baker:

... It is, it's a nightmare. You don't believe it's actually happening.

Bob Green:

They were out searching and I said, "She is gonna be in the water."

Wife:

We walked around the pond and he said, "What's that?"

BRYN CASWELL: I’m Bryn Caswell, Reporter and Weekend News Anchor at Dayton 24/7 News Now.

Detective:

Feel yourself slipping deeper and deeper. More and more relaxed

NATHAN EDWARDS: I’m Nathan Edwards, Morning News Anchor. And this is Missing Erica Baker. A podcast from Dayton 24/7 Now

Christian Gabriel:

If they try to pin this on me, I'm not doing life in prison

BRYN CASWELL: In this episode We piece together the mystery that started on a rainy day in the park, and look at how the investigation started from all angles.

BRYN CASWELL: A Sergeant from the Kettering Police department is sitting in a wood paneled room. He has a red collared shirt on, khakis, and a dusty blonde mustache right in style for 1999.
More at link:

Last edited:
“As long as she still hasn’t been found and as I stand here living and breathing, I will dedicate everything that I have to the cause,” said Dave Radar, with Texas EquuSearch.

You can follow the Dayton 247 Now YouTube page for special video content related the case.

For the first time, we are able to see video of the polygraph test given to the prime suspect in the disappearance of Erica Baker.

The video is shot through blinds and you can see Christian Gabriel's silhouette as he's asked questions by Kettering Police.

He failed the polygraph test when asked about Erica's disappearance.

Last edited:
4 Unidentified Person Exclusions:

Case Photo

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP8419
Date Body FoundJanuary 16, 2001
StateVA
CountyIsle of Wight

Case Photo

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP4725
Date Body FoundMarch 10, 2007
StateOH
CountyMarion

Case Photo

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP12692
Date Body FoundApril 07, 2014
StateOH
CountyCuyahoga

Case Photo

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP12683
Date Body FoundJune 06, 2014
StateVA
CountyNewport News

OCT 29, 2022
Crews continued to search for the body of Erica Baker. The little girl from Kettering disappeared in 1999. Because of our podcast, Missing Erica Baker, we uncovered a new location that had never been searched until today. Our team was embedded with detectives and volunteers as they searched a local park.

[...]

We asked the past and present detectives on the case, and Texas EquuSearch to help us search. 20 minutes into our search, something was uncovered.

“Let’s stop there,” said Rader. “It's a bone.”

The Bureau of Criminal Investigation was called in, along with the Greene County Corners Office to examine the bones further.

[...]

“After so many searches, it's just another area that we've cleared,” said Green. “That's the way you have to look at it, especially after all these years.”

[...]

The Greene County Coroner called the remaining findings "in-human". Investigators believe the bones collected today are from a dog, However, they've been sent off to the lab for DNA testing to make sure they aren't human.

Around 3 p.m. on Feb. 7, 1999, Erica Baker was last seen walking her dog in a Kettering neighborhood around the area of the Kettering Rec Center. Authorities at the time said Baker’s dog had been found about two hours later around 5 p.m. on its leash and with Baker no where to be found.

Bob Green is a now-retired detective with the Kettering Police Department. He describes the process from the beginning of the search to now as a “rollercoaster,” since there have been many search efforts without finding Baker.

“The Kettering Police Department has done a lot. We’ve ran into a lot of, what I refer to as ‘walls,’ and we’ve always scaled those walls and we’ve stuck with it,” Green said. “There was a lot of things that went on. There’s been a lot of searches that don’t reveal anything.

Whatever happened to Beth Lewis being made to testify on what Jan Franks told her before she died?

Recently listened to new search for Erica Baker video/Dayton247 now. It’s incredible the work done by EquuSearch and volunteers who dedicate their time and energy into searches for the missing. Hopeful that some day soon Erica's family will get answers. Its time.

LE and detectives are amazing too. The dedication to Erica's case is unbelievable. I know their hard work will payoff one day.

I've never believed the hit & run story. The story made no sense, so if it doesn't make sense ... probably not true. moo

All of this is moo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back