GUILTY OH - Gertrude 'Trudy' Steuernagel, 60, beaten to death, Kent, 29 Jan 2009

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by wildTrose, Feb 10, 2009.

1. wildTrose

wildTrose New Member

Im really worried about the son being in prison...he is autistic, I hope they send him to a mental hospital, prisons are not equiped to care for autistic people.

KENT, Ohio – A Kent State University professor who was fatally beaten in her home was devoted to caring for her 18-year-old autistic son, who is charged with attacking her, friends say.
    Gertrude "Trudy" Steuernagel, 60, struggled to raise her son Sky Walker, but she loved him and would want people to know that autism doesn't equal violence, said Steven Hook, chairman of the school's political science department, where Steuernagel taught political theory and women's studies.
    Steuernagel died Friday in a hospital, a week after she was severely injured in a beating.
    An autopsy completed Monday showed bruises around her head and chest, said Gary Guenther, an investigator with the Summit County medical examiner's office. The cause of death has not yet been determined.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090210/ap_on_re_us/professor_killed;_ylt=ArvC6Cr9zBDqjNs1NZBdOclvzwcF

2. Loading...

3. blue_the_puppy

blue_the_puppy Member

how sad! i just googled her name and found this: http://www.kent.edu/polisci/People/steuernagel.cfm.

looks like she wrote some papers on autism. i'm guessing the pic in the corner is a (older) picture of her family including the son that beat her. :(

4. kgeaux

kgeaux New Member

I have a friend (a 17 year old with Autism) and I can honestly tell you that he is capable of doing EXACTLY this type of thing, and NO WAY would he be responsible if he did. His family is struggling right now because they desperately want to keep him at home, and he LOVES being at home, but his behavior is difficult if not impossible to control. He decided one day to go for a walk. Granny said no. He knocked her out of the way and went for a walk. He didn't look at Granny as a separate human being who needed to be treated gentley. He saw Granny as "what is standing between me and the door." It took two police officers to capture him and get him back home.

This woman loved her son, and it sounds like she was doing what she could to keep him at home----right down to barricading herself in a closet to keep him from harming her-----and with very little help. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know this young man doesn't belong in jail.

5. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Very good feature article from December 2009:

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/12/kent_state_professor_trudy_ste.html