OH OH - Harley Dilly, 14, enroute to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I missed that. Did they ?
Not enough information yet ?

I think so? But maybe I am not sure... Here were some previous posts about it here, maybe these users can give us more insight?

I did see TES trying to contact the family on facebook. That's a great sign, maybe Tim Miller will soon be looking for Harley!

I contacted TES (was willing to go search if they were coming in). They will not be.

Not sure I can say what they told me on WS without being confirmed aside that.

TES reached out so they didn’t decline. They offered. They just won’t come without the blessing of LE or family.

LE does decline in some cases where they don’t feel they need additional help. Or where they know a search would be a waste of time.

Family can certainly decline. Though I cannot think of a single reason why anyone would. (Aside from maybe being the guilty party, even then most would welcome them to look innocent.)

Have we ever seen TES turned down by a family?
If yes, was the family proven innocent in the case?

Very sorry they turned down TES hope that means they believe LE had it under control !! Praying for you Harley ! There's a storm coming get somewhere warm !! We've been stuck in it for 3 days it's not pretty. Be safe please JMO

I can't stop thinking about the roadhouse thing.
What if it was a planned outing, and they purposely left as a punishment to him for skipping. Maybe he tends to skip and that's why she ignored the call and they went to dinner. That could definitely be enough to make him run.

I'm not making accusations, no one knows. But to think they were out while he was who knows where breaks my heart.

Either way, miss Christmas means he's either hurt or worse, or really angry.

When I taught high school, parents would never pick up their phones even if the school called. They'd just let their kids puke their guts out and spread their germs.
Didn't they have an alternative contact in case the school couldn't get a hold of them? I had about 6 contacts for my kiddos.

She ignored calls from the school? I thought she didn't get any calls because her mailbox was full.
Like the others said, she could still receive calls but the caller just couldn't leave a voice message. So I find it odd she's using that as an excuse if it's just that her voicemail was full, so I have to wonder why didn't she answer or call them back? Nothing? And on the day he disappears..

I would like to have some confirmation if anybody besides the mom had seen him since he left his friend's house the evening before. I know it's said that "family" saw him in the morning, but is that just mom or somebody else can corroborate that..? I'm not sure.

I mean, Skylea Carmack's stepmom was adamant that she had run away, and well... That turned out to not be the case.. I hope very much it's not like that and he's just hiding out and is safe and sound.

This is all my opinion only

Nope, and often times they had an old number on file. Also, I don't think my school has ever called a non-family member to pick up a kid unless it was an ER level emergency.
All my contacts were family. My late ex Fil picked up one of my sons when he had a swing accident at school. I was visiting a friend,and didn't have a cell phone. So they called him. Thankfully I had a great network of family,on both sides.

I do not know them, but my impression of Harley is that he is not malicious long term. Blowing off steam by the sounds of it in the past but in the end, he listens to his parents and has a heart for them. Even in the “I’m scared” video which granted was 18 months ago, he is staying put in the backyard because that is what his mom told him to do.

Also, the little brother is actually his nephew (sister’s son) that his parents adopted a few years back (per moms fb feed).

Also, Harley was now in high school, not in middle school which is where his trusted assistant principal was and he liked that school by the sound of it. High school could have been a different story. From my understanding, the “not feeling good” on Friday morning sounded like “I don’t want to go to school on the last day” which is why mom made him go anyway. I did see on her fb feed though that he had GI issues and had gone to the doctor to get a pass for school to go to the bathroom. Not saying that GI issues were present on Friday morning, to me it sounded more innocent than that.

Just filling in gaps that I know of from my searching.

I wonder if his school has a notification of absence via text/email/VM?

As a retired high school teacher, I’m betting the school is well aware of any issues HD has as often home life issues spill over into school life and vice versa.

I hope he is hiding somewhere, but those YT videos are more than just a little alarming for all the obvious reasons.

MOO

Have there been any searches of the water at all? Besides the shoreline? Why not??? Why turn down TES?

On 12-23 :
Chief released this statement : "I would request that any future searches be conducted at the request of the Police Department. When and if that happens, I will post that on our Facebook page in time to give everyone notice that wishes to assist."

On 12-27:
From Chiefs statement about that search on facebook : "For those that don’t know, a search of 150 + acres was conducted today by multiple agencies, to include; Helicopters, Search & Rescue Canine Teams and approximately 75 Law Enforcement Agencies, Fire & Rescue Departments on the Local, County, State and Federal levels. I have NO new information that I can share at this time with you."

Prior to 12-23 there were some residents and a local PI firm doing searches but none of it was at all organized and I believe that led Chief Hickman to call them off.
IMO ... From what I can gather there isn't organized search happening aside following up on specific tips / any suspicious activity.

Our schools go right down the list of phone numbers, I am 3rd (grand mother) 4 is grand dad until they get one of us to get the child picked up. Assume that's SOP. Have no idea about who turned down TES. Was disappointed obviously, so guess we assume LE or the family feels the search is under control. But still no Harley..... Too much time was wasted at the time he vanished, can't get that back just very discouraging. So we wait for updates and work with what we have ... Not very much to go on ...MOO

I am trying to come up with a way to word this without sounding like I am looking down at people but I don't. I grew up in a small town in Ohio and I'm just going to say what I know.

It is obvious Harley doesn't come from a wealthy family, or even upper middle class. The family doesn't have a spokesperson like many wealthier families do. I am sure many wealthy families have the same pleas as Harley's mom did until someone re-writes them and makes them more child-centered. In times of great fear and anxiety, our concern reverts to ourselves. Especially for people who aren't sophisticated (and I'm not judging, I came up from the same background.) The family does not have a lot of resources, both physical and social-emotional ones.

I had great but uneducated parents. Their plea would sound the same. It's not just poverty of money. It's poverty of understanding and being able to express themselves.

Now some thoughts on Harley:
  • What if he was actually sick? Could he have passed out and become disoriented? They would have found him by now if that happened, right?
  • What if he said he was sick to avoid going to school because he knew he'd be jumped or something? The day before Christmas break is a big day for students to start trouble. If he got jumped, did it go wrong? I do think a kid would have leaked the secret by now if that happened.
  • There are a ton of empty cabins and lakehouses this time of year. I think every single one of them needs to be checked. The weather has been decent and he may be able to stay warm inside one.
  • As for the questions about the Ring cameras- I live in small town Ohio and I'm the only one with a Ring on my street. It's expensive, and not entirely necessary when you have other neighbors looking out for you. My parents are in Florida and everyone has a ring- I think it just depends where you are. Small town Ohio- may not need one.
I hope I don't sound like I'm puting anyone down. We just really need to consider that the family may not be that resourceful before jumping to conclusions.

Chief Hickman requested that anyone owning cabins or lakehouses check themselves and / or grant them permission to search if police should request it. It doesn't sound like any wide scale searches of the many vacant vacation homes is being planned.

I do agree that ring cameras are not as common in this area. However, Deer and hunting cams are very popular. Chief requested that people review their hunting cameras for anything suspicious.

The youtube videos are worrisome, I'm sure the LE believes they must be too. Can it be a pedophile he is talking to? Noticed he wasn't wearing his glasses in the 3 videos posted.

Last edited:
I am trying to come up with a way to word this without sounding like I am looking down at people but I don't. I grew up in a small town in Ohio and I'm just going to say what I know.

It is obvious Harley doesn't come from a wealthy family, or even upper middle class. The family doesn't have a spokesperson like many wealthier families do. I am sure many wealthy families have the same pleas as Harley's mom did until someone re-writes them and makes them more child-centered. In times of great fear and anxiety, our concern reverts to ourselves. Especially for people who aren't sophisticated (and I'm not judging, I came up from the same background.) The family does not have a lot of resources, both physical and social-emotional ones.

I had great but uneducated parents. Their plea would sound the same. It's not just poverty of money. It's poverty of understanding and being able to express themselves.

Now some thoughts on Harley:
  • What if he was actually sick? Could he have passed out and become disoriented? They would have found him by now if that happened, right?
  • What if he said he was sick to avoid going to school because he knew he'd be jumped or something? The day before Christmas break is a big day for students to start trouble. If he got jumped, did it go wrong? I do think a kid would have leaked the secret by now if that happened.
  • There are a ton of empty cabins and lakehouses this time of year. I think every single one of them needs to be checked. The weather has been decent and he may be able to stay warm inside one.
  • As for the questions about the Ring cameras- I live in small town Ohio and I'm the only one with a Ring on my street. It's expensive, and not entirely necessary when you have other neighbors looking out for you. My parents are in Florida and everyone has a ring- I think it just depends where you are. Small town Ohio- may not need one.
I hope I don't sound like I'm puting anyone down. We just really need to consider that the family may not be that resourceful before jumping to conclusions.

I love this post and the compassion in it.
I hope that you are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members