OH OH - Harley Dilly, 14, enroute to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Port Clinton Police Department
Harley Dilly UPDATE, Friday, December 27th, 2019

Friends,

The Dilly’s provided me with the following statement to release on our page;

“We want to thank all the agencies and all the people from the community who have assisted in searching for our son Harley from now and through the holiday season. As you can imagine our family is terribly distraught at this time. This is not the Christmas wish we had hoped for. We pray for the safe return of our son, Harley. Harley if you hear/read this, please come home we missed you, your family miss you. You are not in trouble. We love you. Thank you one and all for the continued effort and work you are doing, and for all your thoughts and prayers. Pray, share, keep your eyes open.”

Chief Hickman

Anyone with any insight on how common it would be for a case to escalate to this extent? I'm kind of surprised by the level of federal/national involvement of what appears to be just a "runaway" (although this is not personally what I feel it is) and what they would/wouldn't say in that regard in the press conference. It makes me think they have credible information/tips leading them to believe this is something larger to me, but maybe I'm just overthinking...

Jay Hannah on Twitter
10:55 PM · Dec 27, 2019

EM2F-gNU0AME58-

Dozens of volunteers spent their Friday passing out flyers, as the same question continues to get asked: Where is Harley Dilly? @NBC24WNWO

Anyone with any insight on how common it would be for a case to escalate to this extent? I'm kind of surprised by the level of federal/national involvement of what appears to be just a "runaway" (although this is not personally what I feel it is) and what they would/wouldn't say in that regard in the press conference. It makes me think they have credible information/tips leading them to believe this is something larger to me, but maybe I'm just overthinking...

I don't think this is being reported as or appears to be a runaway when looking at LE's actions.

In the first 24 hours of a teenager going missing it's not uncommon that LE initially thinks it's a possible runaway. However, within 48 hours of Harley being reported missing the chief had upgraded the missing BOLO to "endangered missing". There's something that indicates to him that this isn't a runaway case. Although I think he's trying to hold out hope that Harley just ran away he has to consider other possibilities at the point that he's been missing a week now over a major holiday that's important to most teenagers.

Trying to sift through some of his YouTube videos... Seems like LE is already taking some down. Harley also has numerous videos recording himself on his way too school.

"Last night, I did something that I do not regret. I leaked my phone number on livestreams and got called by streamers. I'm gonna leak my number in the title of this video. Now, if you wanna call me, just wait until after it is 2:30 in Ohio.... I'd be glad to talk to you and answer some questions. Don't forget, keep it kid-friendly because I'm only 12. So if you wanna call me, I guess you can call me this morning if you see the video quick enough"

"Yesterday, I had court. I got charged with menacing for scheduling a fight with a kid, showing him what I would do to him, and then selling tickets for the fight, and then telling him that the ticket holders will come after him if he did not go fight and um, I've already had problems with this kid before. It was I believe, November when we last had our problems, yeah November....I'm trying to change my ways"

Livestream of some dude talking to him in multiple videos who he calls his "biggest fan." Asks how old he is, asks to friend him on Facebook, Harley gives him his phone number

I am equal parts impressed and alarmed that the search is so extensive for Harley. Normally a troubled teenager like him would not get this type of search. So I'm pleased. Yet I'm also alarmed because I'm afraid that means LE knows something we don't that is causing them to be extra alarmed. Come on Harley...

Port Clinton Police release statement from Harley Dilly’s family: “We want to thank all the agencies and all the people from the community who have assisted in searching for our son Harley from now and through the holiday season.” (More) @WEWS #WEWS

4893AE57-6F6C-4ABD-AD36-D559EB2B320F.jpeg

Scott Noll on Twitter

“As you can imagine our family is terribly distraught at this time. This is not the Christmas wish we had hoped for. We pray for the safe return of our son, Harley. Harley if you hear/read this, please come home we missed you, your family miss you.” (More)

Scott Noll on Twitter

“You are not in trouble. We love you. Thank you one and all for the continued effort and work you are doing, and for all your thoughts and prayers. Pray, share, keep your eyes open.” @WEWS #WEWS

BD917D61-4CB3-41EB-B565-A913C4A0C274.jpeg

Scott Noll on Twitter

Port Clinton Police Chief is asking community to do two things: 1) Check surveillance cameras for any video of Harley & 2) Turn porch lights on tonight so if Harley sees a light, he knows he can knock on your door @wkyc #wkyc #3news #HarleyDilly @portclintonoh

(Video)

Rachel Polansky on Twitter

It should be mentioned again that unless the Police Chief can vouch for residents of every home with a light on, he really shouldn’t be encouraging a vulnerable and small boy to knock on the doors of strangers’ houses. Granted, most folks are good and helpful, but it seems a bit risky to me. A store or business office would be better.
JMO

Five days is a long time to stay with a friend. As a parent I would question a child staying over for 5 days without some contact with their parent. And now with it all over the news, I would hope any parent sheltering this young man would call LE.

We've had very mild weather here in Michigan for the last five days compared to normal but it still gets below freezing at night. Has Ohio been similar? If so, I'm worried about exposure.
Yes our weather in northwest ohio has been mild during the day. F I'm r this child to be gone for a week he would need help with food and shelter. This Sunday will be 60 degrees but lots of rain. Then monday back to more seasonal weather.

Chief Hickman says he doesn't have a history of running away, and doesn't believe he was abducted.

Officers were called to Harley's home a month ago for a "family issue" to calm down Harley. Officers have been silent on how Harley is as a kid and his behavior.

In a video that was shared to NBC 24 from Harley's YouTube page, coming from last year, Harley expressed his frustrations at home.

"He told me that my mom never called the police. So she lied to me to get me scared, and she locked me out of the house. So right now, I'm outside."
The search for Harley Dilly ramps up, one week after his disappearance

Phone (or other device)addiction is real, though (and I'm not judging because I struggle myself.) Sometimes kids beg for devices and yet are miserable after using them, and you just "have" to break that cycle.
I'd love a world without the need for any devices at all. Imagine how much more truly connected people & families might be.
I think all.families should have landlines in the home and therefore children would.not need a phone. After watching the videos he has posted previously just scary what was going through his mind when he left that morni.g
IMO he left with no intention on going to school. Then he either did something or someone has him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie