Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #4

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by JerseyGirl, Dec 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Well-Known Member

This story is hinky & stinky as reported by media.
    It’s mucked up further by the chief own comments

2. Hatfield

Hatfield Well-Known Member

The thing about chimneys is the diameter of the hole from top down can change to a smaller diameter depending on the particular chimney.

I looked up my chimney flue with a flashlight and at the very bottom where it connects to the metal framed fireplace insert, the diameter of the hole narrows before it gets to the actual fireplace. The section above that that goes to the roof has a larger diameter but near the bottom it gets narrower by about 5 inches or so.

Maybe he did have room at first to get most of the way down but if the diameter got narrower at the bottom he may have not realized that until it was too late.

3. Davia18

Davia18 Verified Human

Do we have verification that's 100 concrete on anything at this moment? The speculation is a little overwhelming right now.

4. NuttMegg

NuttMegg Well-Known Member

I wonder if he hid from something or someone he heard, and couldn't get back out of the chimney, or maybe had a rope hooked up in there and fell. But you'd think a 14 year old would yell if he were stuck. Just remembering being 14, although long ago, a vacant nearby house would become a club house. There have to be other kids who knew he used the house. He probably slept there multiple times just to worry the Mom (not dissing him, just speaking reality from a 14 year old mind). From all the activity on the second floor of the house, I wonder if the chimney had an opening there, ie fireplace, and on the ground floor. I don't blame the parents for not noticing the house was empty, it probably had lights at night, and may very well have been heated, given that he may have removed his own coat on those cold days/nights. Looks like the house opens on the other street, not on the street where parents live-

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  5. holtzmann

holtzmann Well-Known Member

Occam's Razor.

Faebray, Stargazer34, Occula and 12 others like this.
  6. Tutter

Tutter Well-Known Member

I don’t know what kind of chimneys other people have, but the ones I am familiar with, there is no way a person can get in the house by going down it. The flue opening is way too narrow for passage of any body part other than a hand or arm.

anyway, the idea that he may have been trapped is so horrific, I don’t want to speculate much on that yet.

7. Hatfield

Hatfield Well-Known Member

Usually there is a "chimney cap" at the very top which keeps out birds and squirrels from making nests up there. But not all chimneys may have a nice chimney cap.

Not sure about the house in question.

8. sabrecmc

sabrecmc Active Member

I can buy into a 14 year old climbing down a chimney (I guess) to gain access to a locked, vacant home, but he had to have made it once to leave his jacket there, so why didn't he just unlock a back door or window instead of using the chimney (presumably) a second, fatal time? Using the chimney would seem like it would be far more likely to be seen...it's just so strange. Hoping the press conference gives some answers.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but I am still just flummoxed that a nearby, long-vacant home wasn't searched more thoroughly. Seems like one of the first things to do would be look in sheds, barns, parked RVs, vacant homes, etc. that are close by and would be known to him. I guess maybe it's just so hard to think of him right there and not found sooner.

9. BlueShoe

BlueShoe Well-Known Member

If he was found inside the chimney, here's what is puzzling me. His coat was already inside, so if this is an accidental death, he must have been there before, maybe the day previous, and left his coat behind. This could make sense, since the grainy video image looks like he is not wearing that coat. My question is, if he went down the chimney previously, how did he get out? Climbing back out the chimney seems impossible to me. If it was through a door or window, why wouldn't he go back in that way? Very confusing at the moment, but maybe things will be clarified. MOO

10. Mandrew

Mandrew Well-Known Member

When I lived in NYC a lot of apartments had lockboxes that the police and firemen could use to access the building, so they wouldn't have to rely on tenants. Mine did not, and having a flat close to the front, on more than one occasion I got a window knocked on from a locked out tenant..

margarita25, carbuff and cody22 like this.
  11. userunnamed

userunnamed Active Member

Remember the family said Harley would leave for the night sometimes when there were disagreements in the household? I can't help but to speculate that he went to that house over night since he knew the people weren't living there. However, instead of just sitting in the living room because the homeowners could come home or people would see lights on, he found a place in a crawlspace or attic to hideout. That might explain the walls being removed. How he passed away is anyone's guess at this point. This is just a theory.

I still wonder what tipped the police off to look in the walls to begin with though?

12. CurlyQ

CurlyQ Well-Known Member

We have investment (rental) properties that we have set up as a trust. This means if you were to look up who owns the house at xxxx whatever st, it wouldn't show our name specifically. There would need to be further investigation in order to find out who owned the property - maybe that's a possible scenario here which delayed the owner being contacted? Just a thought

margarita25, lmr, JaneEyre and 2 others like this.
  13. Linda7NJ

Im relying on media reports - according to TOS

chypie, margarita25 and lonetraveler like this.
  14. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

I am waaay behind here. This is crazy??? Do we have a presser coming? TIA

15. Diddian

Diddian Well-Known Member

Yes, I figured that was probably how he had obtained the information. He had to go searching for it, which creeped me out.

16. Angelcat13

Angelcat13 Well-Known Member

I would think LE would have canvassed the neighborhood several times - knocking on doors, etc. If LE didn’t already know the home was vacant, I would think they would have at least looked into why they were never able to make contact with an occupant during numerous attempts to speak with neighbors.

17. alyssa5597

alyssa5597 Former Member

12pm

margarita25, lonetraveler and cody22 like this.
  18. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

HayLouise, AnnaGrace, j_in_c and 6 others like this.
  19. Bellecent

Bellecent Well-Known Member

Wonder if there was a caretaker locally that would check on place?

20. Linda7NJ

If the vacant home had zero signs of forced entry & it was locked up & ...I would cross it off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.