Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is heartbreaking is that not every door was knocked on and an attempt wasn't made to contact each and every tenant or homeowner. Although it probably would not change the outcome, it is basic investigation 101.

Yes, I was just recalling checklists I've seen online for canvassing, etc. for missing children or adults. Mark Klaas even has some checklists

Polly Klaas Search Center

This case would suggest that would not be a good assumption for investigators. Many vacant homes have unlocked windows/doors that wouldn't show a sign of being forced (actually, many homes in general have things stolen without signs of forced entry, so I don't think the lack thereof would rule out someone entering who shouldn't be there). Again, I understand hindsight, but it still seems like something the police should review as far as their procedures go. Not blaming them, of course, but clearly, something important was missed. Would it have made a difference? We don't know.
If he regularly accessed the house, which IMO he did because his mom said he often disappeared overnight, there is very little chance, IMO that one or more of his school friends didn't know about the house.

I doubt we will learn much from the Presser this soon into it.
I would be shocked if he was in chimney..but it happens.
I would think it this is a place he knew he could escape too when he needed I think he would have left a window open at a previous visit.
Could he have harmed himself ?

It'd be awfully stupid and a waste of time to have a PC to say he was just "recovered" after that was already released from Ohio AG this morning IMO. Call me optimistic, but I believe we will hear more.

I wish all of you could have been here last night and into the early morning. Several posters were watching a live feed of everything that was going on around the house. It was on for over 9 hours and it was fascinating.

The fireplace opening is usually in a first floor den/living room. LE would have found him there, because no one was on the roof with tools removing anyone/anything overnight. That suggests that most likely someone had to have put him there. It makes sense that he would not have been drawn to climb up in there himself, given how dirty it would be. LE probably needed drones working in the light of day to make sure the opening wasn't wide enough for him to have somehow climbed in from the top and fallen down. He was slender.

I agree but he's a 14 year old kid, the climb and entering the property that way might have been half the fun. His Mother mentioned he would often leave home and not return until the next morning, I bet you anything he had created a hideout at this place and this one time he climbed down and possibly had a fatal fall. His jacket could have been hung up in the house because this was his second visit of the day.
But it was stated the lockbox was empty.

The T.V. antenna makes a perfect ladder. MSM reported that the owner of the home gave permission for LE to enter. Lockboxes have a master key (by law)...so that emergency responders may enter
As a Realtor I use lockboxes on a daily basis and there are many different types. Although there may be a type that has a master key, I have never heard of, nor come across one.

There are several styles of combination lockboxes where you have to push buttons or dial letters or numbers to open the box to get the key. There is also an electronic lockbox (Supra) that can only be accessed using an app or Supra key (an electronic device). A Realtor is assigned a specific app or Supra key that is disabled if the Realtor is no longer licensed or is “not in good standing” (either because of violations or failure to pay dues, fees).

When a Realtor uses this type of lockbox there is an electronic “footprint” that records who accessed the box (at least which agent’s app or key did) and the date/time it was accessed.

Anyone can have a combo lockbox on their property and it is not uncommon for people to use them if they want to allow a contractor, cleaning person, dog walker, etc to be able to access the home. I used to have one hidden so my kids could get in the house because they frequently forgot their key.

Everyone assumes it was his coat that appeared in the window, that was never mentioned let alone confirmed. Investigators were in there for hours one of them may have put their jacket there. They wouldn’t throw it on the floor or hang it in a closet. A lot of people have that colored jacket.

Chimneys are covered so animals don’t get into houses.

He may have been going into that house all along somehow he found access and on this particular day as someone mentioned he may have fell through a wall from the attic. Some young kids may not know they need to walk on beams if there is no solid floor.

The owners came home and smelled the decay or a cadaver dog in the neighborhood picked up the scent.

If he were in the chimney wouldn't they have someone on the roof looking at the chimney? You don't need a drone to look at something defined and identified and extremely large. You need a ladder.

All we know is that a wall was taken down (at least partially). If Harley was not in the chimney but behind that wall, would it be possible for him to accidentally fall between two walls from an unfinished attic? I'm not sure how wide the spaces would be. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie