Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #5

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by JerseyGirl, Dec 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Nowhere was that confirmed (HD head first). The question was what is depicted on video games such as Fortnite and entering confined spaces -- does the game depict reality or did it look easy.

@Sonic7273 provided this answer: So for the record, fortnite players get into the houses by either breaking walls down with their axe or just plain opening doors. The chimney is not a functional feature through which a player could enter an abandoned house. And per my son, even if you could you’d probably die of health damage.

2. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching & Waiting

‘Thanks for clarifying. I’ve had to do a lot of skimming to catch up.

3. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

I don't think there's any making sense of a teen climbing inside a chimney and dying of suffocation, essentially.

When I read that Harley was found across the street from his home -- stuck inside a chimney, the first thing I thought of was another missing Colorado teen that was finally located two blocks from his dad's home after missing for more than 7 years. His mummified body was found inside the chimney that he apparently entered headfirst. (Joshua Maddux).

4. firebird

firebird Well-Known Member

There are chimneys that you enter in fortnite, but afaik, they're not of the residential variety. That said, fortnite is huge and no one but a serious gamer would know for sure unless it was specifically pointed out to them.

From the link:

Switch to glider mode to make sure you have enough altitude and then dive straight down the chimney. The rings are about in the middle of the chimney. To cross them down, you'll have to face an aeration that pushes you up. The operation is somewhat tricky but you should cross your first ring in a few seconds.

Fortnite Guide: Skydive, rings locations, Steamy Stacks - Millenium

5. Sonic7273

Sonic7273 Well-Known Member

Also did Harley even play fortnite? Most of his videos that I’ve seen were madden mobile, football and such.

Steph8angels and JDough like this.
  6. firebird

firebird Well-Known Member

If his mom says he did, he probably did. Literally every male in that age group has played it.

Alcina, Warwick7, scdiv and 2 others like this.
  7. AgeofAquaruis

AgeofAquaruis Well-Known Member

These things take time too. Autopsy, funeral arangements. Release of body. I'll give them that.
    MOO

8. abanddb123

abanddb123 Active Member

wow, im surprised this thread isn't **** down yet. That was pretty snippy of you!!

9. abanddb123

abanddb123 Active Member

We don't know if he went head first. Speculation

chypie and Warwick7 like this.
  10. Andreee

Andreee Well-Known Member

11. PKnopf

PKnopf Well-Known Member

He did, not sure how much, but he made a 7 hr long live stream of game play of various games with his friend James in February of last year on youtube he titled "Playing XBox With a Friend". About 5 hrs 14 minutes in they switch to it, playing it in a game mode Harley termed "houses". I didn't hear any special references to chimney diving when they were starting up the game, but given its length I didn't watch it all the way through.

Steph8angels, mommadukes and Warwick7 like this.
  12. mommadukes

mommadukes Well-Known Member

Picturing Harley in his element, live streaming games with a friend has me feeling equal parts sad and happy. He really was a special guy, from the brief glimpse we were privileged to see of him being comfortable in his own skin.

13. glamourkitty1922

glamourkitty1922 Well-Known Member

The US Constitution protects homeowners from illegal search and seizure. The police would either need the homeowners permission (which is what they got) or enough probable cause to obtain a search warrant. A locked door means no entry.

14. PKnopf

PKnopf Well-Known Member

My heart goes out to him, his friends and family- all who knew and loved him. I can't begin to fathom the shock and pain they must be experiencing.

15. Seajay

Seajay Gannon is my HERO

Wow. So it is possible he got the idea from Fortnite. We know he spent a lot of time online. Was he really into gaming to the degree he would know about this feature, then went to try it in the real world? Wow.

squareandrabbet and Lilibet like this.
  16. v0x

v0x Moderator Staff Member Moderator

To put this in perspective, these are the “chimneys” you can enter in Fortnite:

[​IMG]

This is a residential chimney in the game that you can not enter:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  17. MyBelle

MyBelle Well-Known Member

I'm aware that stoves were used in the 1800s whether they used coal or wood. Stoves provided heat but I'm not aware there was any type of furnace in this case. The chimney in Harley's case served no purpose at the time of his death, according to the owner of the property.

My point is that Harley suffered compression suffocation. His chest had no room to inhale or exhale. I find it hard to believe he entered through the attic and managed to descend more than a floor to his death if he couldn't breathe. I have no idea what fuel the original stoves used or if there was a furnace involved and really don't care. The issue for me isn't the fuel, the issue is the size of the chimney and the fact that the size of it is what killed Harley.

JMO

Steph8angels likes this.
  18. Seajay

Seajay Gannon is my HERO

Wow. So it is possible he got the idea from Fortnite. We know he spent a lot of time online. Was he really into gaming to the degree he would know about this feature, then went to try it in the real world? Wow.
    The first ones look like 3 Mile Island or San Onofre Nuclear Power plant.
    And you’d have to be awfully scrawny to fit in the house chimneys.

All that aside. To a kid, it wouldn’t matter if the real chimney looks like the game one, it’s still going to be intriguing to a kids. IMO

19. v0x

v0x Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Just wanted to give a visual to people unfamiliar with the game. I don’t think it inspired his actions. Landing on roofs and breaking through them to enter a building is common in the game, but entering through chimneys is not.

TinyDancer35, BOSCOE, JDough and 9 others like this.
  20. katydid23

katydid23 Verified Juanette

It's hard for you to believe he entered through the attic and managed to descend more than a floor to his death if he couldn't breathe?

Wouldn't he descend pretty quickly at first, due to gravity? And then at some point, he would be wedged in?

If he didn't enter the chimney from the roof, how did he get in?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.