OH - Heather Nicole Adkins, 32, abandoned nonverbal 5YO child 75 miles from home, Cincinnati, Feb'22

IceIce9

Verified EMT
Reaction score
This child was found in the cold, wandering alone yesterday. I heard appeals all day on news reports asking for help finding his parents. He couldn’t provide any information since he is nonverbal.

Now his mother has been identified but not found.

CINCINNATI (WXIX) - A mother is now facing charges after she abandoned her non-verbal autistic 5-year-old son in Colerain Township, according to police.

The 5-year-old boy with autism was found in the area of Sheed Road and Gaines Road around 9 p.m. Thursday.

He was left there by his mother, 32-year-old Heather Nicole Adkins, Colerain police said in an update on Saturday.

The 5-year-old is from Shelbyville, Indiana, which police said is around 75 miles from where he was found.

This man found him on a busy road, on Thursday night:

WLWT spoke with the man who came to the child's rescue.

"It was cold. It was raining. And I'm like why was this child out so late?" Ron Reese said.

On his way home from picking up dinner Thursday night, Reese braked and reversed to make sure his eyes weren't playing tricks on him.

"That's when my parental instincts took off," Reese said.

He said he used his car as a roadblock, flagged down another car and called 911.

"I just seen him on the side of the highway, and I'm like 'oh my God. It's a little kid,'" Reese said.

Colerain officials looking for family of child found walking alone

This man found him on a busy road, on Thursday night:

WLWT spoke with the man who came to the child's rescue.

"It was cold. It was raining. And I'm like why was this child out so late?" Ron Reese said.

On his way home from picking up dinner Thursday night, Reese braked and reversed to make sure his eyes weren't playing tricks on him.

"That's when my parental instincts took off," Reese said.

He said he used his car as a roadblock, flagged down another car and called 911.

"I just seen him on the side of the highway, and I'm like 'oh my God. It's a little kid,'" Reese said.

Not to be weird but there are angels in human form. This Ron Reese could be one. How many other cars must have passed?

The big question Where's Ms. Adkins, and why did she leave her son there? Why there?

We were experiencing very heavy rain that night. I kept receiving flash flood alerts on my phone.

From the article:

The boy was found walking alone on Gaines Road Thursday at around 9 p.m. Drivers spotted him along the road. A witness said the boy was found soaking wet from the rain.

His mother has been arrested

COLERAIN TOWNSHIP, Ohio —

The mother wanted in connection to a child found walking alone in Colerain has been taken into custody.

32-year-old Heather Nicole Adkins has been arrested a day after charges were filed by the Colerain Township Police Department in connection to a 5-year-old being found walking alone near the intersection of Sheed Road and Gaines Road on Thursday night.

Mother of child found walking alone in Colerain arrested
No matter how often I read stories like this, I still feel like someone punched me in the stomach. Sadly, the mother will only serve a short sentence but that child will be traumatized by it forever.

No matter how often I read stories like this, I still feel like someone punched me in the stomach. Sadly, the mother will only serve a short sentence but that child will be traumatized by it forever.
True, but it may have saved him, because if she could leave him alone by the highway on a cold rainy night, she could do any cruel thing in the future. I think she was expecting him to get hit by a car, then she would say he ran off and she doesn't know how he ended up there, or something like that. :(

His mother has been arrested

COLERAIN TOWNSHIP, Ohio —

The mother wanted in connection to a child found walking alone in Colerain has been taken into custody.

32-year-old Heather Nicole Adkins has been arrested a day after charges were filed by the Colerain Township Police Department in connection to a 5-year-old being found walking alone near the intersection of Sheed Road and Gaines Road on Thursday night.

Mother of child found walking alone in Colerain arrested

Snipped from article linked above; boldface added by me:
“The Georgetown Police Department says Adkins was arrested at a gas station in Georgetown, Ky. Police say they went to the area for a suspicious person call.

Officials say once police made contact with her, she began acting odd and the officer began to ask her questions.

Authorities say she didn't have an ID on her and said she was from Shelbyville and mentioned she had three kids, one with autism, and said they were with friends and they're okay.

Police say she had been treated in a Georgetown hospital earlier in the day for meth and heroin.

According to the Scott County (Ky.) Jail website, Adkins was booked at 8:09 p.m. on Saturday by the Georgetown Police Department.

Her warrant stemmed from a failure to pay charge from 2011.

The Colerain Township Police Department says they are working to bring Adkins back to Ohio to face charges stemming from her child being alone.”

she should be charged with attempted murder
she better not get the kid back and hopefully the other two will find a new home along with their brother
I am confused now, about whether LE knows if she was the one that abandoned him on the road or not.

They found her and she had been high on meth and heroin. But she told them her 3 kids were with a babysitter? Is that true or did she lie?

I am confused now, about whether LE knows if she was the one that abandoned him on the road or not.

They found her and she had been high on meth and heroin. But she told them her 3 kids were with a babysitter? Is that true or did she lie?
She left the other two kids with a babysitter while she drive the boy to Cincinnati and abandoned him.

True, but it may have saved him, because if she could leave him alone by the highway on a cold rainy night, she could do any cruel thing in the future. I think she was expecting him to get hit by a car, then she would say he ran off and she doesn't know how he ended up there, or something like that. :(
Yeah, you’re probably right. Hopefully, she’ll never get custody of him again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back