CONVICTION OVERTURNED OH - Heidi Taylor, 40, murdered, Champaign County, 6 April 2017

Latest updates:

Docket Information
Date Docket Text
08/17/2020 DEPOSIT RECEIVED

08/17/2020 NOTICE OF APPEAL FILED

08/17/2020 NOTICE OF APPEAL FILED WITH JE

08/17/2020 AFFIDAVIT OF INDIGENCY FILED

08/17/2020 CRIMINAL DOCKETING STATEMENT FILED

08/17/2020 MOTION FOR APPOINTMENT OF THE OFFICE OF THE OHIO PUBLIC DEFENDER AS COUNSEL

08/17/2020 PRAECIPE FOR TRANSCRIPTS

08/17/2020 NOTICE OF FILING ISSUED TO COUNTY PROSECUTOR AND COPY TO COA

08/18/2020 SUMMARY OF DOCKET AND JOURNAL ENTRIES FILED

09/03/2020 JOURNAL ENTRY APPOINTMENT OF OFFICE OF PUBLIC DEFENDER TO REPRESENT APPELLANT;COUNSEL SHALL HAVE (30) DAYS TO CAUSE COMPLETION OF RECORD

link: https://eservices.champaignclerk.com/eservices/search.page.3?x=XUVRb4vDlTVplzcOJn

Case #2020 CA 00021:

10/14/2020 COPY OF NOTICE OF WITHDRAWAL OF STATEMENT PRAECIPE AND NOTICE TO COURT REPORTER;SERVICE FILED BY ATTY HACKETT (ORIGINAL FILED IN TRIAL COURT CASE)

10/14/2020 NOTICE OF COMPLETED RECORD ISSUED TO ATTYS AND/OR PARTIES (COPY TO COA)

link: https://eservices.champaignclerk.co...MKBEkkLPtbmbzIrHKa*DkWT-tqRL1BfESRac5frtQjL8w

Case #2018 CA 00025

1/25/2019 THIS CASE HAS BEEN ASSIGNED FOR ORAL ARGUMENT FOR 9:30 AM TUESDAY, JANUARY 7, 2020 IN THE COURT OF APPEALS COURTROOM, DAYTON OHIO

11/27/2019 MOTION FOR LEAVE TO FILE AMENDED REPLY BRIEF FILED AND SERVICE BY ATTY HACKETT

11/27/2019 AMENDED REPLY BRIEF OF DEFENDANT-APPELLANT, DONOVAN NICHOLAS FILED BY ATTY HACKETT

12/09/2019 DECISION AND ENTRY THAT APPELLANT'S AMENDED REPLY BRIEF IS ACCEPTED AS FILED ON NOVEMBER 27, 2019;APPELLANT'S REPLY BRIEF FILED ON NOVEMBER 25, 2019 IS STRICKEN

12/26/2019 JOURNAL ENTRY OF DECISION AND ENTRY STATING RECORD SHALL BE CORRECTED TO INCLUDE THE WRITTEN TRANSCRIPT OF DAY ONE TRIAL PROCEEDINGS; CLERK SHALL ISSUE AN AMENDED RULE 11B

12/26/2019 AMENDED NOTICE OF COMPLETED RECORD ISSUED TO COUNTY PROSECUTOR AND ATTY TIMOTHY HACKETT

06/26/2020 JOURNAL ENTRY OF OPINION RENDERED ON JUNE 26, 2020 STATES THE JUDGMENT OF THE TRIAL COURT IS AFFIRMED IN PART, REVERSED IN PART AND THIS CAUSE IS REMANDED TO THE TRIAL COURT SOLEY FOR THE PURPOSES OF CORRECTING THE COST BILL CONCERNING APPOINTED COUNSEL FEES, CLARIFYING THE AMOUNT OF THE COST BILL ATTRIBUTABLE TO THE RESPONSES TO APPELLANT'S MOTIONS AND CLARIFYING FOR COPIES OF TRANSCRIPTS PROVIDED TO THE OHIO PUBLIC DEFENDER.

06/26/2020 JOURNAL ENTRY OF FINAL ENTRY PURSUANT TO THE OPINION OF THIS COURT RENDERED ON JUNE 26, 2020 STATES THE JUDGMENT OF THE TRIAL COURT IS AFFIRMED IN PART, REVERSED IN PART AND THIS CAUSE IS REMANDED TO THE TRIAL COURT SOLEY FOR THE PURPOSES OF CORRECTING THE COST BILL CONCERNING APPOINTED COUNSEL FEES, CLARIFYING THE AMOUNT OF THE COST BILL ATTRIBUTABLE TO THE RESPONSES TO APPELLANT'S MOTIONS AND CLARIFYING FOR COPIES OF TRANSCRIPTS PROVIDED TO THE OHIO PUBLIC DEFENDER.

06/26/2020 NOTICE OF FILING ISSUED TO COUNTY PROSECUTOR AND ATTY HACKETT

07/02/2020 APPLICATION FOR RECONSIDERATION AND EN BANC CONSIDERATION FILED BY ATTY HACKETT

07/13/2020 MEMORANDUM IN OPPOSITION TO RECONSIDERATION AND EN BANC CONSIDERATION;MEMORANDUM AND SERVICE FILED BY ATTY NAPIER

10/08/2020 JOURNAL ENTRY OF DECISION AND ENTRY DTD OCTOBER 8, 2020 STATING THE APPLICATION FOR EN BANC CONSIDERATION IS OVERRULED

10/08/2020 JOURNAL ENTRY OF DECISION AND ENTRY DTD OCT. 8, 2020 STATES THE APPLICATION FOR RECONSIDERATION IS OVERRULED

link: https://eservices.champaignclerk.co...MKBEkkLPtbmb6zRBc6XrzyhmTdkG7E6QV91qUHb54Z5hQ

okay - from what I understand - his appeal was denied (in part). And case session with the judges was overruled.
So - putting this case in my "finished" case file.

OMG Where is he now? Has he been released? Their farm is too close for comfort if he is out.

I can not access the article you posted - can you give a 10% synopsis on it? I would like to update my notes. TIA!

Also - I checked the court site - and he is no longer in there.

Nope... it just keeps swirling - trying to find it.... that's okay.
From the link

The Champaign County Juvenile Court’s decision to transfer the case of a 14-year-old boy with multiple personalities to adult court for the murder of his father’s girlfriend was not supported by the evidence , the Supreme Court of Ohio ruled today.

In a 4-3 decision, the Supreme Court vacated Donovan Nicholas’ conviction for the 2017 murder of Heidi Taylor. Nicholas claimed a second personality, “Jeff the Killer,” stabbed Taylor, then shot her. Nicholas opposed the state’s request for the juvenile court to transfer his case to adult court, maintaining the prosecutor did not prove that the teen could not be treated in the juvenile court system.

Writing for the Court majority, Chief Justice Maureen O’Connor stated the juvenile court’s decision to transfer the case was based on a mischaracterization of the testimony presented by a court-appointed psychologist and an Ohio Department of Youth Services (DYS) official.

“Here, the juvenile court’s decision that Nicholas is not amenable to treatment and rehabilitation in the juvenile system was based on a perception that DYS lacks the necessary resources to treat Nicholas’s mental illness — a perception that is not only unsupported by the record but that is, in fact, contrary to the reality established by the record,” she wrote.

The decision reversed the Second District Court of Appeals, which had affirmed Nicholas’ conviction and the sentence of life in prison with parole eligibility in 25 years.

So - does he get a new sentencing? Or just free to kill someone else now??!! :eek: He is 20 years old now.

and THANK YOU very much for giving me that info @Tillicum - much appreciated! :)

So - does he get a new sentencing? Or just free to kill someone else now??!! :eek: He is 20 years old now.

and THANK YOU very much for giving me that info @Tillicum - much appreciated! :)
There's only one article in the news right now and it doesn't say what's going to happen or where he is. I'll update here if I find any more info. I can't be the only person in this area concerned about this.

There's only one article in the news right now and it doesn't say what's going to happen or where he is. I'll update here if I find any more info. I can't be the only person in this area concerned about this.

I would think not! Maybe "Jeff" will return!! :eek:

I just found this case and came here to see if WS has it- of course they do!
He is free as the breeze, no restrictions, only he cannot own a gun-- He committed a very adult crime- the worst- murder- and he deserved an adult sentence-- which was overturned- so he was sentenced as a juvenile---sigh

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back