I-71, I-75 Highway Serial Killings, OH/IN/MI

The lady in the top left with the hat on is Marcia Matthews, killed June 12, 1985.

Who was your mother? I may be able to help with contact info on the new detectives assigned to the cases, which were re-opened in 2013 after a DNA match and one of the Jane Doe's was identified.

Who was your mother? I may be able to help with contact info on the new detectives assigned to the cases, which were re-opened in 2013 after a DNA match and one of the Jane Doe's was identified.

Marcia Matthews

Adding Robert Rembert to the list. He is/was a truck driver from Cleveland charged with four murders. None fit the typical truck stop variety, but two were women beaten and strangled. Kimberly Hall was the most recent. His phone number was found in her phone.

Rena Mae Davis was found dead in an RTA restroom in 1997. She and Rembert were both employees at the time.

Now a Cuyahoga Co prosecutor is calling him a SK, and LE is looking into his background on the road in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292556

Investigators are looking into the routes driven by a trucker who traveled through Ohio and Pennsylvania and is now charged in four Cleveland slayings that came 18 years apart.

Authorities want to know more about where and when Robert Rembert worked as a regional driver, calling him a "serial killer" who already served time in prison for a fatal shooting in the late 1990s.

"The feeling is given his violent history it only makes sense to dig down into what was going on in the interim," said Joe Frolik, a spokesman for the Cuyahoga County prosecutor's office.

http://www.pennlive.com/nation-world/2015/10/cleveland_serial_killer_suspec.html

Here's an article about Lamonica Cole from last November, which marked 27 years since her murder. Family still awaits justice.

AKRON, OHIO - At the Breezewood interchange, big trucks barrel by...

[...]
A young woman named Lamonica Cole was looking for a date at the Union 76 truck stop. It's now called the Flying J.

"She was found November 22nd approximately a quarter mile away at the Gateway Truck Stop. Her body was dumped over an embankment at the back of that truck stop," Tpr. Auker said.

Her cause of death was suffocation. The killer stuffed a sock in her mouth. Chavelle Cole was also there that day. She was 9 months old. Lamonica was her mother. The two were headed back home to Ohio from Florida.

[...]
That man Lamonica was with is currently in jail on an unrelated case. Police closely looked at him at the time. They also searched for a trucker with the CB handle "Dragon" but it never led them anywhere. Though the case is 27 years old, police said they're making progress.

"We still have some DNA evidence were trying to work with," Tpr. Auker said.

http://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/unsolved-investigations-truck-stop-murder

I was trying to find this thread about month ago. Its popped up now that someone has posted.
I just wanted to share what I find to be weird. Might not be anything to it.

But I went on a run with my boyfriend a little better then a month ago. He is a long haul trucker but this was a short four day ordeal. Anyways, we were in this exact area we had to deliver in Ohio and pick up in IN. And I seen one truck at a IN truck stop and a few other trucks we pasted while on the road with missing stickers of missing people but their faces and info were spry painted off or ripped off. I realized it could simply be because who ever that was may have been found but still stood out to me because I've never seem that before not even in Texas where things get extra creepy at truck stops.
Also IN has like the biggest area of lot lizards that I've ever seen. Its so bad that even just driving past you can hear several of them on cb radios looking for a customers. And its the only place where random men tried picking me up and can't even go into the store with out my trucker being with to make it clear I'm not a lot lizard. Yet at most other truck stops all across the us its not like that. So just kinda makes me wonder about sex trafficking/serial killers who'd maybe not want truckers to know that girl is missing leading to the spray paint.

That is creepy, gia. Could be the work of malicious vandals, but on the other hand, you might be right. Nothing would surprise me.

Pa. troopers join investigation of Ohio trucker labeled serial killer
By Megan Guza
Friday, Oct. 16, 2015, 10:48 a.m. - Updated 53 minutes ago

[...]
Investigators are looking at routes he drove in Pennsylvania and Ohio for connections to other deaths.

“Information-sharing is probably the most important part in cases like this,” Pennsylvania State Police Trooper Adam Reed said. “Just good old-fashioned police work.”

[...]
Reed said state police will follow pertinent information from officials in Cleveland.

FBI joins serial-killer probe in Cleveland
By Mark Gillispie ASSOCIATED PRESS - Saturday October 17, 2015 6:14 AM

CLEVELAND — The FBI said on Friday it has joined an investigation by police and county prosecutors to determine whether there are unsolved slayings that might be attributed to a Cleveland truck driver now linked to five killings over the past 18 years.

[...]
Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Tim McGinty has called Rembert a serial killer and has said investigators will examine truck routes Rembert drove in Ohio and Pennsylvania to see whether he can be tied to any unsolved slayings. An FBI spokeswoman on Friday confirmed that agents would be assisting prosecutors and Cleveland homicide detectives in the investigation.

I don't understand why it would be hard to track his movements. Unless if he had paper logs but still those are how you get paid so its all documented on where you'd pick up and drop.
There are only so many hwys to get from point A to B.

The trick is to match the right dates to the right locations. Say a woman disappeared outside of Cleveland, and her body turned up near Pittsburgh, you have to place him in both areas at the right times. Depending on how far back they're going, the number of victims, and the quality of the record keeping, it could be quite a task. "Good old fashioned police work", dig in and roll up your sleeves. I only wish they'd release more information with regard to the where and when.

Marcia K. Matthews -- June 12, 1985
I-71 Richland County, OH

New article from the Mansfield News Journal.

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com...ters-mission-finding-mothers-killer/83238790/

Case remains open

Richland County Sheriff's Maj. Joe Masi said numerous investigators have been assigned to the Matthews case several times since her death, the last time in 2007, and all leads have been exhausted. All evidence has been submitted to the Bureau of Criminal Investigation's labs, and as technology has progressed, items have been resubmitted, he said this past week.

"Everything that has been sent down to BCI has been tested (for DNA)," Masi said of the unsolved murder case.

*SNIPPED*

Stewart recently talked by phone to Sgt. Mike Viars and Detective Pat Smith of the sheriff's office's detective's bureau. Viars told the News Journal a DNA profile has been worked up in the case.

"I do know when the Unsolved Homicide Unit was working it, they'd even collected some voluntary profiles that they've compared it with," Viars said. "It also showed that it had been submitted it to the CODIS database so that profile can be compared."

Hoping that this strong woman finds the answers she needs about her mom.

Wondering if the friend named " Peaches" might have a tattoo of one?
Thinking of the UID " Peaches" imo.

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Crime/2016/05/07/22630929.html
Crime Hunter: Daughter hunts mom's killer
May 7, 2016

Mother’s Day remains a poignant jab in the heart for Shannon Matthews Stewart.

We all eventually will lose our mothers and it is a profound, devastating affair. More so if your mother has been murdered.

For 20 years, Stewart has been on a lonely, one-woman crusade to find the monster who battered her mother to death, leaving her on the side of Interstate 71 — halfway between Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio.

“The truth is my mother deserves to finally rest; her mother needs to rest. She (her grandmother) died broken, cremated, full of guilt and buried on top of my mother,” Stewart told WKYC.

Despite the hardships of her young life, Stewart is remarkably forgiving about her mother. Marcia K. Matthews was a prostitute who drifted around the U.S. and pedalled her body to desperate truckers.

“It was a crazy life. I grew up in a fast lifestyle. My mother was trying to break away but was still a part of that life at the time of her death,” Stewart said.

The clues are few. Strands of facts, forgotten in a drug-fuelled haze. Friends of her mom known only as “Peaches” and “Ivy.” She went by “Pepper.”

One told detectives that her friend climbed into a semi-tractor trailer at 3 a.m. A logo from faraway Arkansas was on the door. And that’s it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back