OH OH - Jerry, 28, Linda, 23, & Debbie Bricca, 4, Bridgetown, 25 Sept 1966

Of course, I forgot a few similarities:

12. Both cases were stabbings.

13. Both took place in suburbs where murder is uncommon.

14. Victims in both cases were slain in bedrooms.

15. After exhaustive investigations, police could find no one who both knew the victims and meant to cause them harm.

16. Linda Bricca, Percy and the FBIs prime suspect in the Percy case were all from suburban Chicago.
I’m at work but I’m definitely interested in learning more and will respond later when I’ve had time to read all that you’ve written. Thanks for taking the time :) It’s weird that I had never heard of the Percy case before. I went to Northwestern for graduate school, lived in Evanston, worked in local government and studied public affairs, including criminal justice. Such a small geographic area, all the north shore suburbs. Never heard of it.

I am curious if anyone considered the wife as a possible killer, or at least the catalyst to the murder, which might have been committed by her husband. This was running through my mind during the last couple chapters of the book. Try as I might to find reasons it might not make sense - surely after all the research it was considered and dismissed with other evidence - it was never mentioned as a possible theory.

There are several reasons I considered Fred’s wife was intimately involved, starting with Linda herself.

Linda’s Maternal Change of Heart: I found it curious how Linda was quite vocal about not wanting more children, her detachment from both Jerry and Debbie reflected in her words and actions. Then suddenly she goes to San Francisco, and observed lovingly admiring her abdomen in the mirror with affection as if she knows she is already pregnant. During the same trip she is quite outspoken about her desire to have more children and her marriage in general, to which Jerry acts surprised but happy, optimistic. But we know her feelings about her marriage, Jerry and Debbie, which were to tolerate them, at best. The only other explanation therefore, is she believes she is pregnant by someone other than Jerry and is quite happy about it. Why would she be happy? No other reason than she believes or has been led to believe the father would be with her, which she clearly wanted. In order for that to happen, however, to give her lover time to reorganize his life, her only option would be to convince Jerry the baby is his in the meantime. Since she never appears to mention the fact that she already believes she may be pregnant as she did in the mirror, this discrepancy between present and future only makes sense if she and Jerry had not had sex and she needed to seduce him quickly and viola, she’s pregnant, no questions asked.

The Thursday Night Call: We don’t know when she began to suspect the potential pregnancy, but it likely wasn’t a long time prior to the murders, maybe a week or two, maybe within a week of her temporary work assignment at the clinic. It’s very clear her confidence that Fred would respond favorably to “the news” - particularly if they had been having an affair for awhile. It’s reflected in her change in behavior, the boldness of showing up at the club in public without a second thought about who would see or talk. This tells me she fully expected to be with Fred, that he would leave his wife for her and the baby; soon they would be a couple so why pretend?

I believe that the Thursday night “emergency” call - that Fred claimed not to remember - could have been related to the pregnancy: (1) to reveal the pregnancy in some act of desperation, possibly Fred attempted to end the relationship, or (2) she had told Fred about the pregnancy prior to the call and he left angry. Desperate to reach him, she called the clinic. Since he didn’t work at the clinic those evenings, the call could not have been for professional reasons. Why call unless she was in distress, possibly due to his unexpected rejection.

Her Temporary turned Permanent Wednesday Position at the Clinic: They clearly spent time together in the interim of the call and Saturday at the club. I’m not sure exactly when the position was offered to her, but it was sudden, possibly during the same week. Since her hours away from home to “work” on nights the clinic wasn’t even open, there was a feeling that something was coming to a head. Where she had gone to Florida, then to the circus, all to get away from Jerry and her life with him, her increased reliance on Fred and their relationship has an air of desperation to it, of instability in the frequency and boldness of her desire to be with him without much concern of scrutiny. The position may have been a way for Fred to pacify her, but it may not have been enough. Then the phone call...things are coming to a head.

Saturday Visit to the Club: I believe at this time Fred knew about her supposed pregnancy. His dismissive attitude in front of his friend likely angered her, as she felt it was her place to be there, they were soon going to be together. Jerry would be leaving for San Francisco and his new job, and she was going to stay with Fred. But October was fast approaching and Fred needed to act. So why hadn’t he? He probably rejected her again and she may have taken matters into her own hands because she was becoming increasingly more desperate for something to happen. If she thought she was pregnant, Jerry would expect her to move: she couldn’t support herself on her own and she couldn’t stand the thought of leaving with Jerry. She needed a man, and surely she gave Fred an ultimatum. If he rejected her, it’s not beyond the realm of possibilities to force it upon him by telling his wife, and she likely did so after he left her at the club. I don’t believe it was Fred who was desperate to keep and possess Linda. I believe it was the other way around.

Fred’s Call from the Store: I believe it was said that Fred entered the store around 10:30 looking disheveled and on edge, calling twice (I think) and failing to connect with whom he was calling. It’s possible he called either Linda (to warn her) or his wife (to talk her out of going to Linda’s house to confront her, and then the other for the same reasons in reverse. Something happened, and he was concerned enough to stop in the rain and make urgent calls that went unanswered, causing him great distress. When he couldn’t connect with either one, he likely went straight to Linda’s house, parking down the street, intending to use the dogs as a reason for his visit if necessary. But there is one more scenario that might explain the call: Fred could have been calling for “back up” and couldn’t call from Linda’s home. The only problem with this scenario is, the store owner didn’t see any blood, only that he looked disheveled.

I suspect he discovered his wife was there already confronting Linda. Seeing Linda in her lingerie, a determined Linda likely confirmed her pregnancy and callously assured Fred’s wife her marriage was over and Fred loved her, not his wife, probably sent his wife into a rage. His wife grabbed the knife from the Buffet (the one from Linda’s childhood on display), because it was the only thing within reach. She may have stabbed Linda; maybe she just threatened her. But surely Linda would’ve threatened to call the police since pressing charges would surely aid Linda in her pursuit to get the wife out of the way sooner rather than later.

The “wife” scenario also explains why no one hears the dogs. They liked women; surely they liked Fred. I think the bump heard by the neighbors were either the wife confronting Linda. We know it wasn’t Fred, because he hadn’t yet made the call from the store. I think the “thump” occurred around 9:30 or 10, I believe after Jerry took out the trash and before Fred made the call. Maybe it was Linda and Fred’s wife fighting over the knife, maybe Linda was stabbed or fell. I think I read she had superficial or defensive wounds, but I’m not sure. Jerry probably walked in, was shocked by what he had walked into. He wouldn’t have fought a woman, which would explain why he hadn’t defended himself as vigorously as people would have expected. He thought he could reason with Fred’s wife.

At some point Fred arrives. It’s doubtful he would’ve parked in front of their home. How is wife got there I don’t know, but I believe her car was either at the house and might have been one of the many reportedly seen by neighbors in the heavy downpour, parked or moved elsewhere. I think Fred probably watched what was happening unnoticed from the back door or window before dining into the house. Debbie was probably up and in the room witnessing all of this, another reason Jerry kept his composure. Fred shows up, and again the dogs don’t bark and Debbie recognized Fred, probably calling him affectionately by name. It’s possible that Fred decided then and there to murder all of them.

At this point, something besides not wanting Debbie to witness a fight, Linda was stabbed and her life was being used to subdue Jerry with promises to get her help if he kept calm. Whatever it was it scared Jerry enough he allowed himself to be tied with tape and not put up a fight. That or he was tied with tape while incapacitated (the thump?) He must have believed there was still a way out of this. But my guess is, Fred’s wife had the knife and had stabbed Linda, who was still alive when Jerry walked in but before Fred arrived after making the call.

Once Fred had everyone secured, he called a friend, one of the other vets with shady backgrounds, and had them come get his wife and take her out of there. I believe these were the people seen by the two witnesses driving by, who claimed to see a frightened woman (or man) getting into a car with another man. When Fred was sure they had gone, he killed Jerry, then Linda, then Debbie. He had compartmentalized his emotions and her death became “secondary to the incident,” like animals do when he is hunting.

Finally, it is said in the final chapters that Fred’s wife didn’t supply him an alibi. But if I remember correctly, that’s not completely true. They only discovered Fred had “lawyered up” when they knocked on her door to interview her. She never confirmed or denied his whereabouts because they never had the chance to ask. I believe Fred hired a lawyer and had him intervene when he did, not just to protect himself from making incriminating statements, but also his wife. It is pondered in the book how she could have continued to live the remainder of her life with Fred among all the suspicion without questioning him.

It makes perfect sense if she knew what he had done from day one as an accomplice. It’s also telling that they committed suicide together all those years later. It’s quite possible he talked her into it, afraid she might talk once he was gone and ruin his reputation. He likely convinced her by reminding her he did it for her. His narcissistic, self serving personality trait is exemplified by the fact that his final request to buried in the suit hanging on the rack is his and his only. There was no such request for his wife, no dress for her.

I absolutely agree with a lot of what you have theorized. However FWIW I wanted to mention a few things:

Jerry had just his socks on when he was found at the crime scene, no shoes. Which indicates he might not have walked into an ugly scene. But then again it was pouring so maybe he stopped to remove them first Probably the wrath of Linda if he dirtied the floor was scarier than what he was walking into.

Also, I believe the dogs were knocked out with a sedative which is why they were so quiet and still. I think they were still quite subdued and groggy when the neighbors saw them through the window.

This is just my speculation but I think Debbie was killed last. For one, to keep control over the parents and for two, the way she was dragged out from under the bed with her arms and legs straight out. She was terrified. I think she heard, and maybe saw what happened to her parents.

I absolutely believe the answer lies in Linda's after hours call and visit to the club. I agree that it was her pursuing him right before the murders, not the other way. I think you did a brilliant job hashing this out. I am not sure about the wife theory or whether or not it was premeditated. I have to think about it some more. It is a stretch to think this vet would set out alone to do this...unless he sedated them too...or at least Jerry.

It was about two years after the Bricca murders that Robert Lamb (Illinois State Police and lead investigator on the Valerie Percy case) traveled to Cincinnati to speak with police about this case and its similarities to the Percy case, which occurred one week to the day earlier.

Lamb didn't mention specifics, telling the press only that there were similarities between the two cases. Of course, both were home invasions that occurred in the Midwest with victims who were stabbed to death with a large knife.

The expanded edition (newly out) of my second book reveals that both cases were linked to a red sports car. In both cases witnesses were unable to name the make or the model of the car (the reason for this is explained.) In the case of the Bricca murders the car was seen near the victim's home at the same hour that Percy was murdered (then and now, it is an unlikely time of day for homicides to occur.)

Witnesses in both cases saw a man staring at the victim's house the night before the murders. (In the Percy case the witness was a Northwestern University student. In the Bricca case the witness was an off duty cop. It is explained why both witnesses saw the same man and he was the killer.)

In the Bricca case police kept an extremely tight lid on the autopsy results and publicly speculated about an unlikely murder weapon (reasons for these things are explained.)

Best of all, a suspect is named for these cases as well as for four murders he committed the following month.

The refusal to release files on such old cases (like Valerie's murder) baffles me, and always makes me curious as to the documentation produced to judges proving the case is "active"? I can't believe I haven't yet read "Sympathy Vote"!

"A trial judge ruled in 2016 the City of Kenilworth is entitled to withhold the case file because she concluded there is "no doubt this is an active, ongoing criminal investigation.""

Jim Dey | Is investigation of 1966 murder dead? Maybe, maybe not

There could be many different possible motives for a killer or killers entering a private home and murdering a whole family in cold blood. Trying to make logical sense of it is something that investigators attempt to do in almost every case - sometimes with successful results in solving a case, and other times not.

This seems to be one of those cases which makes little sense to a normal thinking person. Who would murder a little four year old girl for any reason whatsoever? The answer to that question might be the answer to the whole attack and quite possibly to other similar attacks.

A serial killer doesn't need any logical reason for killing people in cold blood - it is simply what he does. Going on the premise/possibility that this killer (or possibly killers) simply killed for thrill or "need", might be a way of looking at other possibly connected cases. And if this was the act of a serial killer, there will be other cases.

For such a horrendous crime as this one, it would indicate that the killer had evolved to the point of absolutely no compassion or empathy for his victims. It is also possible that his timing pattern has accelerated to a short interval between killings/attacks.

Although many would look for similarities in other crimes of the same general nature, it could also be true that he used different weapons and different scenarios to accomplish what he wanted most - to kill. There are quite a few unsolved murders and attacks (which some survived) which occurred within a few years before and after the Bricca murders - and which could have been committed by the same person(s). The linking factor might be a certain date, or same type of residence, or similar family make up. Perhaps a single member of the family was the actual target and others simply killed to get to that one victim. There may have been cases where victims were killed for no known reason - just for spite, for practice, to meet a certain date or deadline.

There actually is a "logic" in the way these killers behave and think. It is just a logic which is not normal.

There have been some interesting points made by many of the posters in this thread - and some very good information not previously reported.

In northern Michigan during July 1968, the entire Robison family was murdered. Most were shot to death, but the young daughter and one parent (probably her mother) were bludgeoned to death in a particularly gruesome manner. As in some of the cases discussed in this thread, a red car was reportedly seen in the vicinity of that murder scene as well.

There could be many different possible motives for a killer or killers entering a private home and murdering a whole family in cold blood. Trying to make logical sense of it is something that investigators attempt to do in almost every case - sometimes with successful results in solving a case, and other times not.

This seems to be one of those cases which makes little sense to a normal thinking person. Who would murder a little four year old girl for any reason whatsoever? The answer to that question might be the answer to the whole attack and quite possibly to other similar attacks.

A serial killer doesn't need any logical reason for killing people in cold blood - it is simply what he does. Going on the premise/possibility that this killer (or possibly killers) simply killed for thrill or "need", might be a way of looking at other possibly connected cases. And if this was the act of a serial killer, there will be other cases.

For such a horrendous crime as this one, it would indicate that the killer had evolved to the point of absolutely no compassion or empathy for his victims. It is also possible that his timing pattern has accelerated to a short interval between killings/attacks.

Although many would look for similarities in other crimes of the same general nature, it could also be true that he used different weapons and different scenarios to accomplish what he wanted most - to kill. There are quite a few unsolved murders and attacks (which some survived) which occurred within a few years before and after the Bricca murders - and which could have been committed by the same person(s). The linking factor might be a certain date, or same type of residence, or similar family make up. Perhaps a single member of the family was the actual target and others simply killed to get to that one victim. There may have been cases where victims were killed for no known reason - just for spite, for practice, to meet a certain date or deadline.

There actually is a "logic" in the way these killers behave and think. It is just a logic which is not normal.

There have been some interesting points made by many of the posters in this thread - and some very good information not previously reported.

In northern Michigan during July 1968, the entire Robison family was murdered. Most were shot to death, but the young daughter and one parent (probably her mother) were bludgeoned to death in a particularly gruesome manner. As in some of the cases discussed in this thread, a red car was reportedly seen in the vicinity of that murder scene as well.

I agree, it could just as well have been a serial killer...the dogs do give me pause for thought on that though. From all accounts that I have read, Linda's dogs were known to bark and be aggressive to strangers...so how did they come to be corralled in the basement, groggy, subdued, and unharmed? Is it plausible that the serial killer somehow got the dogs under control and in the basement, or did he make one of the Bricca's do it? I would be very curious to know if the dogs were actually sedated. According to the neighbors, they were uncharacteristically subdued when ppl started showing up to the house.

Isn't it interesting how Leninger bought property very close to Barrington Hills, where they were buried? In 1990 Linda's family visited the gravesite and found that someone left a circle of 9 cigarette butts around Linda's grave. I find it interesting that both Jerry and Linda were stabbed 9 times. It probably means nothing but it's something else to think about.

I agree, it could just as well have been a serial killer...the dogs do give me pause for thought on that though. From all accounts that I have read, Linda's dogs were known to bark and be aggressive to strangers...so how did they come to be corralled in the basement, groggy, subdued, and unharmed? Is it plausible that the serial killer somehow got the dogs under control and in the basement, or did he make one of the Bricca's do it? I would be very curious to know if the dogs were actually sedated. According to the neighbors, they were uncharacteristically subdued when ppl started showing up to the house.

Dogs are generally one of the best alarm and security systems that a home can have. However, any guard dog is only as good as his training, and only as good as his master's attention to him.

My own dog would sound his "intruder alert" bark at any stranger approaching the house. I encouraged this in his training. When I saw who it was and told him to be quiet, he would stop. His warning bark was different from his "happy to see you", or other barks. Idle barking just to make noise was simply not allowed.

For an intruder to "neutralize" a dog would not be hard. Simply leaving some hamburger with tranquilizers out where the dog will find it upon being let out to do his business would be one way to accomplish that task. The intruder would not necessarily need to be anywhere near the dog to do this - if he knew the area where the dog was allowed to run.

To prevent anyone from drugging or poisoning my dog, I trained him to only eat when I gave him the command to eat. I only realized how truly effective that training had been when I once had to leave him at a boarding kennel so that I could go away for a few days.

Luckily, I was still at home that evening, because the kennel owner called me to ask what kind of dog food he ate. I told her that he would eat almost any kind of dry dog food. She said, "Well, I have put three different kinds of food in his dish and put it in front of him, but he just sits there looking at it." I realized then what the problem was and told her to go back to him, snap her fingers and say my command word for "Eat". I could hear her laughing all the way back to the phone. "It worked," she said.

That is so interesting. I'm a huge dog lover living in Chicago and have often wondered if it would be possible to train my rottweiler not to eat certain foods, for that reason. She is old now and a shameless glutton but it is fascinating to know that one can train a dog NOT to eat steak or hamburger. That takes a lot of patience and skill I bet.

I looked again at some of the other home invasion murders in that same timespan, and there are a few that are disturbingly similar. Including stacking the bodies similar to this case. It would not surprise me to find out it was the work of a serial killer. They tend to avoid houses with dogs and strong young husbands, but not always. Linda was an attractive enough lure for a predator to deal with these obstacles. Some might have relished the challenge.

Another disturbing thing about the Bricca murders is that Dr. L was far from the only weirdo lurking around. It sounded like a few other vets in town were also rather shady, not to mention the circus ppl Linda was following around.

A huge unanswered question is whether or not Linda was pregnant. I think that information is known but has not been released, in order to separate false confessions from real. There were whispers of Linda being especially "mutilated" but no one knows exactly how. Pure speculation but if the killer removed a baby from Linda, they might not necessarily make that fact public in order to make sure they have the real killer.

I lean towards it being Dr. L but also think you make a compelling argument that this could have been the work of a human predator. I hope I live long enough to see this case solved.

This case is very similar to one in my hometown Tallahassee, FL. The Sims family was murdered in their home on 10/22/66, 3 weeks after the Bricca family was murdered. Father, mother, and little girl. They were bound and gagged, and all found the master bedroom. In this case only the little girl was stabbed, but believed to be a left handed person just like the Bricca case. Does anyone know if anyone has looked into any connection between these two?

I haven’t read Townsend’s book but I have gleamed through the material available online and can’t any indication that Linda Bricca was pregnant. From what I have read in these posting, that seems to be a critical “fact” that Townsend incorporates in his narrative. The autopsy would reveal her pregnancy but I can understand that it might not have been disclosed. A pregnant mistress represents a serious threat to a married man who wishes to stay married and is certainly a motive for murder. Invading a home and then restraining and murdering three members of a family including a young, fit and fairly large husband is a pretty high risk method of dealing with this problem. Dealing with her when they were alone would be the expected method.

Anyone whoKemo:

I haven’t read Townsend’s book but I have gleamed through the material available online and can’t any indication that Linda Bricca was pregnant. From what I have read in these posting, that seems to be a critical “fact” that Townsend incorporates in his narrative. The autopsy would reveal her pregnancy but I can understand that it might not have been disclosed. A pregnant mistress represents a serious threat to a married man who wishes to stay married and is certainly a motive for murder. Invading a home and then restraining and murdering three members of a family including a young, fit and fairly large husband is a pretty high risk method of dealing with this problem. Dealing with her when they were alone would be the expected method.

Anyone who has read Townsend: does he have access to the full autopsy and was the pregnancy verified?
Kemo, its been difficult to discern just what type of information the detectives allowed Townsend access to in the Bricca case, but he has stated that a large part of the case files were redacted. This led me to take a more jaded view towards the material he presented in his book as so few documented facts are known to the public. This pretty much forced Townsend to rely on heresay, rumors and speculation in order to support his "the vet did it" theory which is weak at best. I am not adverse to closely scrutinizing the vet as a potential suspect, but so far there is literally nothing definitive that I have read to link him to this triple murder. There are many "rumors" that Linda was pregnant, that their marriage was in trouble, that she and the vet were spotted necking on lover's lanes, etc., but I need actual hard evidence to convince me. The detectives working this case have said much the same; they couldn't find any "motive" linking the vet to these murders beyond rumors and speculation, and I consider them to be the true historians on this case

Kemo, its been difficult to discern just what type of information the detectives allowed Townsend access to in the Bricca case, but he has stated that a large part of the case files were redacted. This led me to take a more jaded view towards the material he presented in his book as so few documented facts are known to the public. This pretty much forced Townsend to rely on heresay, rumors and speculation in order to support his "the vet did it" theory which is weak at best. I am not adverse to closely scrutinizing the vet as a potential suspect, but so far there is literally nothing definitive that I have read to link him to this triple murder. There are many "rumors" that Linda was pregnant, that their marriage was in trouble, that she and the vet were spotted necking on lover's lanes, etc., but I need actual hard evidence to convince me. The detectives working this case have said much the same; they couldn't find any "motive" linking the vet to these murders beyond rumors and speculation, and I consider them to be the true historians on this case
I would agree that the vet's refusal to speak any further to detectives certainly casts him in a suspicious light, but showing up at 10pm to talk about their relationship just doesn't sound plausible to me. Wouldn't he have chosen a location to speak with her alone where her husband and child weren't around? As far as the murders themselves, if the Bricca's were murdered in a "heat of the moment" type situation, why would you bother to bind the victims at all? And why would you inflict 4 different stab wounds on a 4 yr. old child when one would have incapacitated her? No, I think we're dealing with a true psychopathic killer who committed similar crimes in the past but took it to a whole new level in the Bricca case.

I'm one of those people who believe that either Jerry or Linda were forced at gunpoint to handle the dogs which the police found in the basement where the family room was located. I understand that Linda's dogs always became excitable when confronted by strangers, but since the weather was in the low 50's and rainy that day, I can believe the neighbors wouldn't have heard them barking since it's likely everyone's windows were closed.
Unfortunately, the dogs were never tested for drugs, but even if the dogs had been sedated, it would have taken a bit before those drugs took effect. As far as the dogs appearing lethargic when they were found, it could have just been a matter of hunger and dehydration. (JMO)

I don’t think they do; however, they do mention a family heirloom that included a unique “dagger-type” knife had been displayed on the buffet in Linda and Jerry’s home prior to the murders, but was missing after. The book mentions a conversation between Linda and her brother, which also happened to be the last time they spoke. During their reminiscing they talk about how they used to sneak the knife out of this set, or whatever it was, and play with it without their parent’s knowledge, pretending it was some sort of sword - I can’t really remember the details but I remember the discussion. The brother asked if she had it and she said she did and in fact was on display in her home. The babysitter confirmed seeing the knife on Linda’s buffet, because after the murders it was missing. As far as I know, it was never found. The missing knife was just one of the many reasons I believe the Bricca murder was an isolated, personal attack on the family by someone they knew and not a random, stranger attack.

There are only so many scenarios where a person enters a home without a weapon and ends up murdering an entire family: 1) the murderer went there not intending to murder anyone; 2) but the fact that things escalated so quickly would indicate the murderer was already angry when they arrived and was likely the reason they were there at all; 3) if anger - not murder - was the driving force behind the visit, the original intent was to confront the situation (and person) causing it; and finally 4) this level of anger, an emotion so intense it escalated into murder within minutes, was the killer’s biological response to one thing: a perceived threat.

This threat was so critical in the killer’s mind it created a life or death situation. It’s the only explanation for how a confrontation could result in murder in such a short period of time. It was critical enough it drove the killer there to confront it. Things quickly spiraled out of control when this person realized how critical a threat Linda perceived them to be to her life as well. If this person was the wife, Linda was a threat to her livelihood, her children’s lives, her marriage and her future; the wife was a threat to Linda’s perceived happiness, a future with a man who made her miserable in a life she never wanted, or a future with a man she does want but can’t have.

The confrontation became a battle of wills between the women, each representing a perceived critical life or death threat to the other. It became apparent to both early on that it would take more than a simple confrontation to make the other go away. Someone had to make a move, and I believe it was Fred’s wife, who obviously had much more to lose, and driven by a level of anger, desperation and fear much greater than anything Linda must’ve felt.

I believe Fred’s wife marched right into the home while Jerry was out running errands intent on confronting Linda as soon as she opened the door, and upon seeing the younger more beautiful Linda, prancing confidently around the house in her lingerie, the image of her husband with her, turned her anger into rage. She realized there was no way for her to compete with this woman. She was older, her body somewhat ravaged from giving birth to Fred’s five children. Who would want her? I believe this confrontation happened in the living room with all of these images and thoughts flashing through her mind, overwhelming her sensibilities. A split second decision to eliminate the threat completely and permanently was made impulsively right where she stood, right next to the buffet, the family heirloom and the dagger.

This is where things get muddled up for me. I read the book on my kindle so it’s not as easy to flip through the chapters to find certain dates and times, so I’m mostly drawing from memory and I’ve only read the book once (I’ve already read three other books since this one).

I believe Jerry was last seen around 9:30 taking out the trash, which he did after returning home from the store (and I believe before he went inside, which makes the most sense). I know he spoke to his coworker about picking him up to go to the airport around 6:30ish, during which the friend said everything seemed fine. I believe the neighbor heard a “thump” around 9:15ish. If that’s true, then the confrontation occurred after Jerry left to run errands but before he got home and took out the trash. If he only ran to the store, that would support my belief things escalated very quickly after Fred’s wife barged in to confront Linda and all hell broke loose, literally within 30 minutes or so assuming Jerry didn’t go into the house before taking out the trash at 9:30 and the neighbors heard the first thump at 9:15.

I think (and I’m not at all sure), that it was around 10:30 or close to 11 that a wet, disheveled and exasperated Fred was seen by the store owner making two back to back calls from the pay phone that went unanswered, then quickly left without acknowledging the owner - which was unusual according to him, as Fred was a frequent and friendly patron. It was also around this time, maybe a little earlier, that the same neighbor who heard the thump peered out her window and noticed the Bricca’s back door wide open with the TV on (the back door was not open when the bodies were found).

This more than anything supports the theory that there was more than one killer. If the back door was seen wide open with the TV on, where were the dogs? Wouldn’t they have run out into the yard? And if the killer’s were strangers, wouldn’t they have run out the door barking hysterically if the killer left the door open as he ran from the house? But they didn’t. They noticed the back door open at 10:15, no dogs barked or ran from the house, and Fred was seen shortly after making calls from the pay phone by the store owner. To me, this means someone left the house in a hurry for some reason (to make a call?) while another person was still in the house, someone the dogs trusted, and that the Bricca’s were likely still alive.

And all of this is based on the assumption that the first thump heard at 9:15 had anything to do with anything. The thump could have just been Jerry closing his car door after getting home from the store. If that’s all it was then the whole thing likely started around 10. Still, whether it happened before or after Jerry took out the trash, it doesn’t change things much, it just pushes the time it began back an hour.

But for the sake of argument, let’s just assume I’m right and the thump was part of the murder timeline. If it started before Jerry got home, then the thump was a confrontation with Linda. Jerry would’ve walked into the house to discover Linda and the killer (or accomplice), and Debbie, who probably witnessed all of this because the purpose of the visit was to have a confrontation, not commit a premeditated murder. So Debbie was probably there when it all unfolded, and it happened so quickly and unexpectedly no one thought to send Debbie to her room.

And somewhere between Jerry taking out the trash and the neighbors seeing the back door open, Jerry was subdued. The wife couldn’t have done that, obviously. There is really only one thing that could have stopped Jerry in his tracks and prevented him from defending himself and family from being murdered, and that’s Debbie. It’s possible that Fred arrived at the house shortly after his wife, walked in through the back door (as he had likely done many many times before), saw his stunned wife with the dagger and a bleeding Linda on the floor. Then Jerry drives up.

How and through which door Jerry normally entered the house I’m not sure. Most people don’t enter their homes through the front door. He didn’t park in the garage. Linda did. Did he take the trash cans out of the garage and go into the house from there, shutting the garage door behind him? Did he enter through the back door?

However he did, like Fred, he likely walked into a scene that shocked him. He probably didn’t even have time to process what he saw before he was somehow subdued or confronted with a situation that for forced him into immediate compliance. Linda was hurt and bloody, someone has Debbie, the same person who clearly was not above violence. Jerry, a rational and logical thinker, reacted as any parent would. He was either knocked out as soon as he walked in and tied up, or allowed himself to be tied up to save Debbie. If Fred’s wife was there, I can see how Jerry might agree to this, the presence of a woman giving him a false sense of security that ultimately things would be ok. Surely Fred’s wife wouldn’t hurt a child or allow Fred to actually kill them. But Jerry also likely didn’t know that it was Fred’s wife who stabbed Linda.

There are only so many things that could occur for all of these things to be true. Assumptions and timelines aside, we know these things are fact:

1) Jerry was seen taking out the trash at 9:30 and everything appeared normal, waving to the neighbor before going inside

2) A preoccupied and exasperated Fred was seen making two phone calls in succession from the pay phone at a store near the Bricca’s home right before the owner closed the store at 11. He did not have any blood on him.

3) Around the same time neighbors saw the back door wide open before they went to bed. They even rationalized later how they know it was open because they saw the TV, and the TV cannot be seen when the door is closed. What they didn’t see (or hear) were the dogs. The door was not open and the dogs were alive when the bodies were discovered. Why didn’t they bark or run out of the noise when the back door was open?

4) We know at some point Linda and Jerry were tied with tape. Jerry was still gagged when the family was discovered two days later, residue from the tape still on his hands. The width of the tape was not standard and, according to 3M, was used by veterinarians. The killer took the time to remove the tape before leaving. Why?

5) There was a dagger-type knife displayed on the Bricca’s buffet prior to the murders that was missing after the murders; like the tape, it was never found

6) Two separate witnesses reported seeing a car parked outside of the Bricca’s home around midnight. Either two or three people were seen in the car: two men (or one) and a woman. The woman appeared frightened. Some believe this woman was there to watch the daughter. This makes no sense to me.

First, why would any woman agree to tag along with two men intent on roughing up a family just to watch their kid unless she had a stake in the game? But what? Wouldn’t she be afraid the little girl could identify her after all was said and done? Second, for them to know there was a little girl at all, they would have to know the family. This means the family was targeted for some reason. If it wasn’t money or Linda, was it a hit? If it was a hit, wouldn’t they bring a weapon? Would hitmen really bring a babysitter to witness a murder an entire family, including the kid? And who besides Fred would hire hitmen? Doesn’t it seem more likely that this was never intended to be a murder, and that the woman became a part of it by accident? Wouldn’t the dogs have gone crazy?

7) The house had been moderately ransacked. The police assumed it was to stage the scene.

I’m not so sure about this. I think the killer was actually looking to dispose of evidence of his/her existence: letters, maybe results from a pregnancy test. Perhaps Linda threatened to write a letter to Fred’s wife. Fred’s wife may have written a letter to Linda. I don’t think it was staged. What would be the point of staging a scene unless the killer felt he would one day be in a position to present a stranger theory of the crime? If the crime was committed by a stranger, wouldn’t he be inclined to present a theory that it wasn’t a stranger? If Fred was the killer and staged the scene to throw the cops off his trail, how would he explain he knew the house was ransacked without putting himself at the crime scene? The only thing that makes sense is the scene wasn’t staged at all.

Like I said, I’ve gone over these things over and over trying to come up with something that could tie all of these things we know are facts together. The only thing that makes any sense to me is someone went there NOT intent on murder or they would’ve brought a weapon. So that eliminates a hit. We know more than one person was involved because the dogs didn’t bark or run out of the back door when it was open. We also know one of the intruders was a woman. The likelihood the person who showed up for a confrontation without a weapon was not the person who committed the murder. If we know one was a woman and one was a man, I think it’s safe to assume the woman was probably not the murderer. It’s also safe to assume that the man did not go there expecting to murder anyone for the same reason the woman didn’t: he also didn’t bring a weapon. What he DID have, however, is tape, tape used by vets. We know he had this long before the witnesses saw the woman being taken away because Jerry would’ve had to be restrained between 9:30 and midnight, when the witnesses saw them.

It’s most likely the man showed up not to murder but to stop the confrontation from happening at all, a confrontation that would have never occurred but through his own selfish actions. But by the time he got there, it was too late. I think he realized almost immediately what needed to be done when he saw Linda already hurt and bleeding. Why would he not call the police or try to save Linda’s life unless losing the person who did her harm was worse to him than losing Linda herself, worse than killing Debbie? This murder was a desperate act committed by a desperate man, who recognized the only way to save his own family was to completely eliminate another.
That's a really good theory...It makes a lot of sense and explains Fred's visit to the Hi-Lo Mart where he appeared stressed out, but not bloody. He called for backup (he apparentlyt had a couple of friends who were shady enough to be willing to help with a clean-up). All of this could easily have happened - the coming and going from the house, etc without notice since that night most people were inside watching the TV premiere of 'Bridge on the River Kwai'.

Anyone who has read Townsend: does he have access to the full autopsy and was the pregnancy verified?
I have read the book and I participate in the private Bricca Unlocked FB group -- I believe he did have access to the full autopsy - and has even seen the autopsy photos which he agreed not to publish at the behest of the families of the victims. From my recollection, the autopsy showed she was not pregnant. I will double check.

Murdered 25 September 1966 - 56 Years ago...

d0deb2a4-5dee-461f-bf9b-06c9b24824cb-Debbie-Bricca.jpg

Debbie Bricca, age 4

5bb0c549-8f87-41d5-8f81-f48b8fb0bbe6-Linda-Bricca.jpg

Linda Bricca, 23

deb8eb84-b75a-41c0-9c16-f1e9710bc679-Gerald-Bricca.jpg

Jerry Bricca, 28

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics