GUILTY OH - Judy Malinowski, 33, Set Ablaze By Ex, Dies From Injuries, Gahanna, 2 Aug 2015 *arrest*

Friday, June 8th:
*Status Hearing (@ 9am ET) - OH - Judy Malinowski (33) (attacked 8/2/15; died 6/27/17) - Michael W. Slager (42) indicted (6/27/17) with 2 counts of aggravated murder purposely killed w/prior calculation & design, 2 counts of aggravated murder while committing aggravated arson or fleeing thereafter, 1 count murder purposely killed Judy & 1 count of murder while committing aggravated arson and/or felonious assault. Plead not guilty; no bond. Waived (3/28/18) speedy trial. Trial set for July 6, 2018 @ 9am
Slager was convicted of aggravated arson, possession of criminal tools & assault. Pled no contest to all counts and received 11-year sentence for attack on Judy with gasoline & burning her.
Jan. 2017: Judy recorded a sealed depo to be used against Slager if she died of her wounds.
4/13/18: Judge denies defense motion to exclude Judy's depo.
6/6/18: Judge orders warrant issued to the Sheriff of Franklin County to take into custody defendant to the Franklin County Correctional Center for hearing on June 8th.

Update in red:

Friday, June 8th:
*Status Hearing (@ 9am ET) - OH - Judy Malinowski (33) (attacked 8/2/15; died
6/27/17) - Michael W. Slager (42) indicted (6/27/17) with 2 counts of aggravated
murder purposely killed w/prior calculation & design, 2 counts of aggravated murder while committing aggravated arson or fleeing thereafter, 1 count murder purposely killed Judy & 1 count of murder while committing aggravated arson and/or felonious assault. Plead not guilty; no bond. Waived (3/28/18) speedy trial. Trial set for July 6, 2018 @ 9am.
Slager was convicted of aggravated arson, possession of criminal tools & assault. Pled no contest to all counts and received 11-year sentence for attack on Judy with gasoline & burning her.

Jan. 2017: Judy recorded a sealed depo to be used against Slager if she died of her
wounds.

6/6/18: Judge orders warrant issued to the Sheriff of Franklin County to take into
custody defendant to the Franklin County Correctional Center for hearing on June 8th.

6/8/18: 6 subpoenas served; Supplement for Discovery: all given to Defense.
6/11/18: Permission filed to film documentary, granted by Judge.

6/13/18: Judge grants permission to WBNS-TV to broadcast proceedings & trial.
Next hearing 6/20 @ 10am

Wednesday, June 20th:
*Status Hearing (@ 10am ET) - OH - Judy Malinowski (33) (attacked 8/2/15; died 6/27/17) - Michael W. Slager (42) indicted (6/27/17) with 2 counts of aggravated murder purposely killed w/prior calculation & design, 2 counts of aggravated murder while committing aggravated arson or fleeing thereafter, 1 count murder purposely killed Judy & 1 count of murder while committing aggravated arson and/or felonious assault. Plead not guilty; no bond. Waived (3/28/18) speedy trial. Trial set for July 6, 2018 @ 9am.
Jan. 2017: Judy recorded a sealed depo to be used against Slager if she died of her wounds.
6/6/18: Judge orders warrant issued to the Sheriff of Franklin County to take into custody defendant to the Franklin County Correctional Center for hearing on June 8th.

found 2 documents with a discrepancy in court date....

https://fcdcfcjs.co.franklin.oh.us/...ePCM96bHgtQvBdo603PtgL2wsF+7bmZ/7aIseCf2Rf7s=

Trial date set for 7/6 @ 9am

On this document:

https://fcdcfcjs.co.franklin.oh.us/...4YY0O45zWA/RrMqGO7QJ+tyKxpbpJ/d6cbWT6I6uGvX8=

it says trial is set to begin 7/16 @ 9am.

dont-no-smiley.gif

Oh - final pretrial hearing is scheduled for 6/26 - attorneys only.

Tuesday, June 26th:
*Final Pretrial Hearing @ 2pm ET) - OH - Judy Malinowski (33) (attacked 8/2/15; died 6/27/17) - Michael W. Slager (42) indicted (6/27/17) with 2 counts of aggravated murder purposely killed w/prior calculation & design, 2 counts of aggravated murder while committing aggravated arson or fleeing thereafter, 1 count murder purposely killed Judy & 1 count of murder while committing aggravated arson and/or felonious assault. Plead not guilty; no bond. Waived (3/28/18) speedy trial. Trial set for July 6, 2018 @ 9am
Slager was convicted of aggravated arson, possession of criminal tools & assault. Plead no contest to all counts and received 11 year sentence. Attacked Judy with gasoline & burned her.
6/22/18: Trial date set for July 6 @ 9am; another document shows trial date 7/16.
6/22/18: Final pretrial hearing on 6/26, defendant will not make appearance, only attorneys.

Now that there is a trial, his 11 years will be extended, with all the extra charges, I would hope.:)
Great that judge has allowed Judy's bedside statement.
It will be powerful, nailing him, I would think.:D:D

I was thinking if his trial starts on 7/16 that's a Monday when trials usually start, not on a Friday, 7/6. So that one document must have been a "typo". I'll put the trial date to 7/16.

Edited to add: I just tried the link I posted re 7/6 trial date - "not found", so I guess they saw my comment about 2 different trial dates! LOL!

Man gets life in prison for ex-girlfriend’s burning death

"COLUMBUS, Ohio — An Ohio man who authorities say caused his ex-girlfriend’s death by setting her on fire has pleaded guilty to a charge of aggravated murder and avoided a possible death penalty.

Forty-two-year-old Michael Slager pleaded guilty Thursday in 33-year-old Judy Malinowski’s death after reaching a deal with prosecutors. He could have received the death penalty if convicted at trial.

The judge in Franklin County Common Pleas Court sentenced Slager to life in prison without the possibility of parole...."

https://nypost.com/2018/07/05/man-gets-life-in-prison-for-ex-girlfriends-burning-death/

judy-malinowski.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man gets life in prison for ex-girlfriend’s burning death

"COLUMBUS, Ohio — An Ohio man who authorities say caused his ex-girlfriend’s death by setting her on fire has pleaded guilty to a charge of aggravated murder and avoided a possible death penalty.

The judge in Franklin County Common Pleas Court sentenced Slager to life in prison without the possibility of parole...."

https://nypost.com/2018/07/05/man-gets-life-in-prison-for-ex-girlfriends-burning-death/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yippee.
Best news.:D
I would think, knowing the bedside statement was allowed, he knew GUILY, would be his best option.

Thank you YESorNO for the update. At least her family doesn't have to go thru a trial.

RIP Judy
rose-smiley.gif
You GOT Justice!!

Judy Malinowski's Mother Bonnie Bowes & Stacey Delikat Talk Michael Slager on Law & Crime Network

Jul 6, 2018

- some of Judy Malinowski's video deposition on tape - starts @ 2:26

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Judy Malinowski Deposition - Full

"The following video contains the deposition of Judy Malinowski, who died in June 2017 as a result of burns received when her ex-boyfriend set her on fire in August 2015. Viewer discretion is advised."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

May she RIP
candle-smiley.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are abusers, there are killers, and then there are heinous monsters like Michael Slager, who on Aug. 2, 2015, set his girlfriend, 31-year-old Judy Malinowski, on fire.
The resident of Franklin County, Ohio suffered burns on more than 95 percent of her body and yet, astonishingly, survived.

nd it’s her story—and agency—that’s restored by The Fire That Took Her, director/producer Patricia E. Gillespie’s infuriating and heartbreaking documentary about Judy’s unthinkable ordeal, and the courage and strength she exhibited in trying to make a difference while she could.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO I watched the HULU documentary about Judy Malinowski and her horrific death. I'm pretty tough and based on my career have seen a lot of very bad things. This is one of the saddest, horrific, and evil crimes I've seen. Judy was one of the strongest and most determined people I've ever seen. I had open heart surgery and was not able to take any pain medicine. It was beyond painful. However, what Judy went through was one of the saddest and most horrible pain that anyone could survive much less endure for 2 years. I'm not much for crying but I sobbed watching the documentary. This brave women testified to ensure that that hunk of meat that was her so-called boyfriend won't be walking on a beach in his lifetime. RIP Judy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back