Presumed Located OH - Kevin James Cassetty, 21, Hartville, 23 July 1982

I can't imagine. Every lead and every photo I have to send to her to verify or dismiss.
*UPDATE* DNA was provided by my sister last Fall. No hits yet.

Sorry, don't want to be intrusive but who is "her?

I wonder if there are any military records where he was enlisted in Norfolk Brig and on what day. I mean can you check if he actually arrived there. Something could have happened while traveling from Hartville to Norfolk. Same question about the release date from Norfolk Brig.

@Forsakenfoe
As his daughter, your sister is legally able to request his military file , which would include his last service base and dates and should include any military court actions and DD214 (his seperation papers) and the status of his seperation (Honorable, Less than Honorable or Dishonorable). I suggest that she requests everything in his file.

Here's the link:

Request Your Military Records (DD214) | Veterans Affairs

@Forsakenfoe
As his daughter, your sister is legally able to request his military file , which would include his last service base and dates and should include any military court actions and DD214 (his seperation papers) and the status of his seperation (Honorable, Less than Honorable or Dishonorable). I suggest that she requests everything in his file.

Here's the link:

Thank you very much. This is very useful information for the family. I wonder if they took this road already. Do you happen to know the penalty for going AWOL or desertion in the USA?

Last edited:
Thank you very much. This is very useful information for the family. I wonder if they took this road already. Do you happen to know the penalty for going AWOL or desertion in the USA?

As far as I know, demotion of rank and counseling or demotion of rank and discharge (usually less than Honorable or Dishonorable discharge). Not very often is there jail time unless another crime is committed also. Although, they may be held in the military jail while waiting to go to court.

I would love to know if he even made it back to base with the MPs.

Hi Forsakenfoe. Did the visit to your mother resulted in new info, new insights?

RSBM from NamUs (link ^)
Circumstances of Disappearance
Kevin was arrested in 1982 in Hartville, OH and transported to Virginia where he served time. When he was released to appear in court he was never seen or heard from again.

Where in Hartville was your stepfather "reportedly" last seen?
And by whom?
I'm confused if he was actually seen back in Hartville or truly went missing in Virginia ... (edited for clarification)

Answer
Navy court at Norfolk, Va, His brother was wrongly arrested in 1983, the woman who had his son six months after our daughter was born had called the police and mistakenly identified his brother as Kevin, and his brother was arrested, those charges were dropped when they realized they had the wrong person. His mother had told the police Kevin had come there in late 82/early 83 and had stolen money from her that he was on a motor cycle with some women and they went to Minnesota. There was no evidence he was ever in Minnesota, he was born there on a military base when his father was stationed there but he had no friends or family there so it did not make sense that he would have went there. I tried to file a missing person report on him for over 30 years but we were not married so Hartville, Ohio Police would not allow me to file it. His mother told a different story each time they asked her when and where she seen him last. Placing him in different states, so they could not pinpoint where he came missing from, which resulted in a missing persons report not being filed. My daughter did a DNA test thru ancestry which linked her to the Cassetty family as she was able to file a missing persons because she proved she was a relative. His mother had/has a sadistic streak, she would tell me she had a letter from Kevin for me and tell me to come and get it and bring my daughter to visit with her, and when I would drive more than 50 mile back to Hartville to let her see her granddaughter and get the letter she said she had, but when we got there, she would say she never said anything about a letter and was too busy to visit come back in a few weeks and shut the door on us. She did that about a half dozen times before I stopped taking calls from her. There were suspicious things happening at that time that I cannot disclose publicly at this time between his mother, his step father, and the woman that had his other child. Only that when the other woman who had his child found out about the Missing person poster on the Ohio Attorney General site, she called up people and screamed "why can't they let him rest in peace" to me that seems to be an odd thing to say about someone who is only thought to be missing. It seems to me that a man who went AWOL three times to come home to his daughter, risked going to the brig time and again, who called to say he would be discharged in 6 months, and be home for good by Christmas, would suddenly say, Oppsy changed my mind, and just disappear when he finally had nothing to fear from coming home. And why when a certain person seen his missing person poster did they call family members and scream at them "why can't the let him rest in peace" who says that about someone who is only presumed to be missing ?

Answer
Navy court at Norfolk, Va, His brother was wrongly arrested in 1983, the woman who had his son six months after our daughter was born had called the police and mistakenly identified his brother as Kevin, and his brother was arrested, those charges were dropped when they realized they had the wrong person. His mother had told the police Kevin had come there in late 82/early 83 and had stolen money from her that he was on a motor cycle with some women and they went to Minnesota. There was no evidence he was ever in Minnesota, he was born there on a military base when his father was stationed there but he had no friends or family there so it did not make sense that he would have went there. I tried to file a missing person report on him for over 30 years but we were not married so Hartville, Ohio Police would not allow me to file it. His mother told a different story each time they asked her when and where she seen him last. Placing him in different states, so they could not pinpoint where he came missing from, which resulted in a missing persons report not being filed. My daughter did a DNA test thru ancestry which linked her to the Cassetty family as she was able to file a missing persons because she proved she was a relative. His mother had/has a sadistic streak, she would tell me she had a letter from Kevin for me and tell me to come and get it and bring my daughter to visit with her, and when I would drive more than 50 mile back to Hartville to let her see her granddaughter and get the letter she said she had, but when we got there, she would say she never said anything about a letter and was too busy to visit come back in a few weeks and shut the door on us. She did that about a half dozen times before I stopped taking calls from her. There were suspicious things happening at that time that I cannot disclose publicly at this time between his mother, his step father, and the woman that had his other child. Only that when the other woman who had his child found out about the Missing person poster on the Ohio Attorney General site, she called up people and screamed "why can't they let him rest in peace" to me that seems to be an odd thing to say about someone who is only thought to be missing. It seems to me that a man who went AWOL three times to come home to his daughter, risked going to the brig time and again, who called to say he would be discharged in 6 months, and be home for good by Christmas, would suddenly say, Oppsy changed my mind, and just disappear when he finally had nothing to fear from coming home. And why when a certain person seen his missing person poster did they call family members and scream at them "why can't the let him rest in peace" who says that about someone who is only presumed to be missing ?

Thanks for sharing and welcome msbelindam. You could try to become a verified insider in this case. Here is the information. Verified Professional and Insider Members

Often, posts without supporting links to media or LE are removed by moderators. Verified Insiders are allowed to post information available to them without those links.

(Legal protection for WS & owner among other things.)

So Kevin went AWOL 3 times to see his daughter, so she was already born in 1983. Seems like he really wanted to be with you and your daughter.

Last edited:
Kevin's mom and step father drank excessively, and Kevin was the punching bag for the step father when he wasn't hitting Kevin's mom, the stepdad did not hit the girls as far as I know. In fact the girl got away with everything. If one of them had to do the dishes and didn't, the step dad would beat on Kevin, because he said Kevin was the oldest and it was his job to make them do their chores and if he couldn't make them do the chores, then Kevin had to do them. One day his sister refused to do the dishes and Kevin didn't do them, Kevin's step dad punch Kevin so hard in the side of the head he nearly went blind in one eye, that was at the beginning of summer right before high school, and why Kevin had to wear glasses. That ended his mother's dream of Kevin being a Navy Pilot. But, Kevin's mom never stopped the step dad from beating on Kevin and his brother, she would leave the room and go have a drink while he did.

Hartville Police arrested Kevin in the Feb of 81 and in Nov of 81, Transported him to the Stark County Jail in Canton Ohio,and he was picked up from there by shore patrol. That was how they did it because Hartville did not have a jail.

Kevin's Brother is younger, but does look very similar to Kevin but does not have tattoos, in 1982 the" other woman's father (whom I met and spent time with after Kevin went missing, but I don't want to put her name out there) had filed a bastardy charge against Kevin because she was not 18 when she got pregnant. She was with a friend when they drove by Kevin;s mom house and she saw the back of his brother standing by a truck in the driveway and thought it was Kevin, and called the Hartville Police to pick him up, which they did (the chief of police was friendly with Kevin's mom and he knew Kevin has been picked up twice before from Hartville for being AWOL. his mother was at work a the time, so he just arrested and processed Kevin's brother as Kevin), Kevin's mother bailed his brother out of jail the next day and when they went to court it was thrown out because it was not Kevin, Stark County Jail did not note any tattoos on the arrest form, or do a finger print check on his brother even though he told them he was not Kevin. They claimed their computer system was down and they could not access that information at that time.

****Background information*******
Kevin's mother remarried after Kevin's father left her. the stepfather was abusive and often beat on Kevin as he was growing up, His mother and step father both drink excessively. Kevin's relationship with his mother was that of part protector from the abusive stepfather, and one of wanting to please his mother. It was not Kevin's idea to join the Navy, it was his mother's. His mom met Kevin's dad while he was in the service (army) and she loved the Military life. She wanted Kevin to join the army like his dad (his mom wanted the commissary pass and PX privileges), but Kevin didn't think he could handle being in the Army, so to please his mom, he joined the Navy instead.

Kevin and I went to school together since middle school. We were friends long before we were a couple. Kevin was shy and he was almost always the smallest kid in class. He didn't get his growth spurt until almost high school and they he was not muscular my any means. Kevin's mom wanted Kevin to marry up, while we lived in the more affluent end of Hartville, my mother owned her own business (my father was a police officer he died when I was 6 and my mother never remarried). We were upper middle class but just barely.

Kevin's mom was always pushing Kevin to date girls whose parents were Doctors and Lawyers and Engineers, that is how he met the "other woman". Kevin's mom and my mom and the mother of the "other woman" had the same hair dresser, and Kevin's mom befriended her mom. When the "other woman's" mom too her there to get the girls hair done for a school dance, Kevin's mom met her and saw an opportunity to climb the social ladder. The "other woman, she arranged a meet and greet between her daughter and the "the other woman" who was under 18 at the time, and initially the "other woman" dated Kevin's younger brother (She was closer to his age than Kevin's). Kevin's mom was constantly inviting the girl over and pushing her off onto Kevin.

When Kevin found out I was pregnant he wanted me to run away with him to Florida, I did not want to leave, he was also on delayed entry to the Navy pending graduation from high school, which he didn't want to go. He stole his mom's car and went to Florida without me, he went to where his dad lived before he died to talk to his dad's girlfriend and find out about his real dad, because he hadn't talked to him since he left Kevin's mom (Kevin's dad had died 5 years earlier)
Kevin saw "my not leaving with him to go to Florida" as a betrayal from me because I would not run away to live in Florida with him (like his dad did). But, His dad's girlfriend in Florida had moved, so he stayed on the beach for about a week until the police told him he had to leave, he called his uncle who sent him money Western Union to come back home.

His mom had him put in the Juvenile lock up for stealing her car. When he got out, he had no access to a car, and she forbid me to come to her house. Kevin would ride his brother's bike across town to my house, and she would call my house threatening to have me and him arrested for him being there (we were both 17). But she was having "the other woman" there every day after school and on weekends,that girl was 15 (as a friend to one of Kevin's sisters).

Kevin said he and his sisters and her had gotten into his mom and step dads stash of alcohol one weekend and got drunk and Kevin and the "the other woman" got together and that it was a one time thing, but two months later she told his mom she was pregnant and it was Kevin's, even though she was dating Kevin's younger brother she said she never slept with him, only Kevin and his mom was pushing Kevin to marry the girl. I was angry when I found out of course, and I told Kevin to just go and be with the "other woman" I was done playing games of his mother trying to climb the social ladder from his back.

Kevin came to see his daughter when she was born, then he shipped out for the Navy as soon as he graduated high school in 79. He tried to go AWOL in late 79 but was caught leaving his post and was confined to the ship Then he went AWOL in late 80's he came looking for me and his daughter but we had moved away, his mother saw him in Hartville, and she knew he wasn't supposed to be there and called the police and had him arrested in Feb of 81, he went to the Brig, as soon as he got out of the Brig he went AWOL again 81 By then a mutual friend had told him where I had moved to, That is when he came back and I let him move in with me. He told me that he was discharged because of depression (Not true he was AWOL, he was going to be discharged, but he just left instead of waiting for the process, he figured he didn't need to be there to get kicked out).

***** After Kevin went AWOL and moved in with me and our daughter *******
Kevin had night terrors about being in the boiler room, and about the boiler exploding and people dying, he would wake up in the night and pace back and forth and then go stand outside in the yard in the middle of the night, Kevin said he couldn't breathe. Freezing cold and he would be standing out there in his jockeys and a beater and flip flops, just standing out there, saying he couldn't get any air, I would take a blanket out and wrap him it in but he didn't want to come inside. It would take me a good half hour to convince him to come back inside and then I had to get him to drink hot tea with lots of sugar, so he didn't get hypothermia. The next day he would be laughing and joking around like nothing ever happened. He would never talk about it, he would get mad and leave when ever I tried.

When I lost the baby, it was because Kevin and I had been arguing, He had gone to see "the other woman" and her little boy, which I was not upset about that, I was upset because I told him to see them at a public place away from where she lived because of her father and Kevin's mother. The 'other woman" was still going and spending time at his mom's house after she had her baby. Even though her father had forbid it ( because she was under the care of her parents for being a diabetic that was not controlled by medication).
Her father had threatened to kill Kevin and take her child from her if he caught Kevin around her. But, Kevin went to her house while her parents were not home (she has type 1 diabetes and cannot drive, she lived with her parents until she was in her 30's, they did take custody of her son after they found out Kevin was at their house to see her and the boy).

Kevin and I were arguing because his mother was a trouble maker, and she and "the other woman" talked on the phone all the time, I did not want his mom to know where I lived. I told him to have one of her friends take her and the boy to meet Kevin at McDonalds or Burger King or something. Instead he went to her house while her parents weren't home and he was told he was not allowed there by her father after the girl got pregnant (she was not 18 when she got pregnant and they had to care of her and the child because of her diabetes that was not controlled with medication).

***The accident***
I was on the basement steps bring up laundry and he was on the steps above me, we were arguing about him having gone to her house knowing he wasn't supposed to, that her dad could press charges. Then he told me he was AWOL again that he wasn't really discharged, that he was about to be, but he couldn't wait any longer, so he just left. I told him that I couldn't take it anymore, that I was going to leave him. I was stressed, I was pregnant again, and I was having flash backs of the whole being pregnant the first time and him spending time with her and she got pregnant, I told him that I was done, I was going to take our daughter and leaving.

Kevin grabbed me by the shirt by the shoulder and was telling me not to leave that it was a mistake, he wasn't thinking. I jerked away from him and I lost my balance and fell down the stairs. The baby died right away, but I did not miscarry. I started running a high fever a week later and was taken to the hospital by ambulance, where they gave me Pitosin and a D and C, it was a boy. But, because the baby had died and not delivered, I got a blood infection and was in the ICU for the first 3 days, then in isolation.

IT WAS NOT KEVIN'S FAULT IT WAS AN ACCIDENT, but Kevin blamed himself.

Kevin went to his mom to talk to her, distraught over what had happened, he was seeking comfort and to be consoled for his loss, but she called the police and told them he was AWOL and had him arrested, he called me at the hospital to tell me he was waiting for the police to take him to jail for being AWOL, Hartville Police as at his mom's, and they were just going to just going to wait there for the Stark county Sheriff instead of taking him to Hartville Police Department so could call me first and let me know what was going on and to check on me. I told him the baby had died.

I spent three weeks in the hospital due to a blood infection after the delivery of the baby. By the time I got out of the hospital, I did not know where he was. My mother would not tell me because she was angry with him, that was the end of November 81. I did not hear from him until just before Easter of 82. When he did a ship to shore call, he said they took him my chopper to a ship out on the water so he could not go AWOL again while he waited for his hearing, he he talked with a JAG officer via ship to shore call, that his hearing would be set for when the ship came back to port at Norfolk. That he was in a Brig on a ship at sea. That the CO let him call me after he talked with JAG to check on me and let me know what was happening, he said he would do 6 months in the brig, then be home by Christmas, that he would not get to make another call until after the hearing. He said he wrote letters (but I never got any), and he said that he did not always get to eat his meals because he had to wait to be escorted to go to chow, but sometimes they didn't take him, that is when they told he had to end the phone call, I never heard from him again.

Last edited:
upload_2019-8-11_11-9-58.png

this is what I can show you of the arrest records he was released in 82 because there was not hold from the Navy, which if he were AWOL as they said, there would have been and because it was not Kevin that Hartville Police arrested it was his brother by mistake, that case was dropped in court

The family
I will be at my mother's this weekend. I'll try to put together a report of solely her words. I'll also contact my sister and see if she has been contacted for DNA or offered it at any point.
r
RSBM from NamUs (link ^)
Circumstances of Disappearance
Kevin was arrested in 1982 in Hartville, OH and transported to Virginia where he served time. When he was released to appear in court he was never seen or heard from again.

Where in Hartville was your stepfather "reportedly" last seen?
And by whom?
I'm confused if he was actually seen back in Hartville or truly went missing in Virginia ... (edited for clarification)

The arrest in 82 was false, that was his brother arrested by mistake, Kevin never showed up for the hearing at Norfolk Va Naval Base in early 82, although he was in the brig on a ship that was out to sea, and under guard, and was to be escorted to the hearing from the ship directly when it came into port but never made it to the hearing.

Last edited:
Kevin's family never filed a missing persons report, in fact they blocked every attempt for over 30 years, they never submitted a DNA test, my daughter submitted a DNA test to ancestry which linked her to Kevin and she was able to file a missing persons report and provide a DNA sample to Namus and the Ohio Attorney Generals office for the missing person investigation.

The family

r

The arrest in 82 was false, that was his brother arrested by mistake, Kevin never showed up for the hearing at Norfolk Va Naval Base in early 82, although he was in the brig on a ship that was out to sea, and under guard, and was to be escorted to the hearing from the ship directly when it came into port but never made it to the hearing.

I'm sorry confused again...was the release on 7/23/1982 actually Kevin's brother? So that would mean that a last paper trail on Kevin was actually 9-12-1981. That's essential. Do you know when he had to appear in the Navy court for going AWOL?

Did you see this.
@Forsakenfoe

Here's the link:

I think in Kevin's case it's very important.

Last edited:
I'm sorry confused again...was the release on 7/23/1982 actually Kevin's brother? So that would mean that a last paper trail on Kevin was actually 9-12-1981. That's essential. Do you know when he had to appear in the Navy court for going AWOL?

Did you see this.
@Forsakenfoe

Here's the link:

I think in Kevin's case it's very important.

the release on 7/23/1982...was not Kevin, it was his brother

the release on 7/23/1982...was not Kevin, it was his brother

Hi msbelindam. So the answer to my question up the thread is yes...they mixed up the release date of Kevin's brother with the missing date of Kevin as last documented date that Kevin was alive, but actually his whereabouts are not clear from the moment he left for the court-hearing. Essential info on the point of missing and needs to be altered in the files with a date for example by a date he had to be at court or when you last talked to him in person. Even if there is DNA they will never find an automatic match or a rule out by default comparing an unidentified body with Kevin if the missing date is not correct. Maybe you could talk to Namus contacts and Meeghan from Charley project, where Kevin is listed and discuss this with them.

The Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) should have a file on him, since he would be considered a deserter, and may have had other charges pending when he went UA. Contact them to see what they might have.

Hi msbelindam. So the answer to my question up the thread is yes...they mixed up the release date of Kevin's brother with the missing date of Kevin as last documented date that Kevin was alive, but actually his whereabouts are not clear from the moment he left for the court-hearing. Essential info on the point of missing and needs to be altered in the files with a date for example by a date he had to be at court or when you last talked to him in person. Even if there is DNA they will never find an automatic match or a rule out by default comparing an unidentified body with Kevin if the missing date is not correct. Maybe you could talk to Namus contacts and Meeghan from Charley project, where Kevin is listed and discuss this with them.

we have but his mother has given so many false stories to the police over the years, as to when and where she seen him last, that they are going by the records from Hartville, Ohio Police department, which are incorrect.

we have but his mother has given so many false stories to the police over the years, as to when and where she seen him last, that they are going by the records from Hartville, Ohio Police department, which are incorrect.

I'm so very sorry, that things are the way they are msbelindam. There is not much I can do for you. It hinders a possible match by default in Namus, the least. But we know this bias/incorrect date now, so we can take it into account when searching for Kevin, not denying possible UID's found earlier then 7/23/1982. We can work with a date you last spoke to him or the court date, if you can find out. I can feel your pain...again...so sorry.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back