OH OH - Linda Britton, 18, Cambridge, 11 June 1963

Discussion in '1960's Missing' started by Romulus, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Romulus

Romulus Well-Known Member

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]The Doe Network

[​IMG]
    Photo was taken approximately 2-3 years prior to her June 1963 disappearance

Linda Kay Britton

Case Classification: Endangered Missing
    Missing Since: July 11, 1963
    Location Last Seen: Cambridge, Guernsey County, Ohio
    Physical Description

** Listed information is from the time of disappearance.Date of Birth: November 21, 1944
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 18
    Race: White
    Height at Time of Disappearance: 61 inches
    Weight at Time of Disappearance: 98 lbs.
    Hair Color: Brown
    Eye Color: Brown
    Alias(s) / Nickname(s): None
    Distinguishing Marks/Features: None
    Dentals: Unavailable
    Fingerprints: Unavailable
    DNA: Available
    Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Bright orange pants; white jacket with hood.
    Jewelry: Unknown
    Additional Personal Items: Pink-rimmed glasses.
    Circumstances of Disappearance

Linda left home to mail a letter and never returned.
    Investigating Agency(s)

If you have any information about this case please contact;Agency Name: Cambridge Police Department
    Agency Address: 601 Southgate Parkway, Cambridge, Ohio, 43725
    Agency Contact Person: Captain William LePage
    Agency Phone Number: 740-439-4431
    [HR][/HR]Agency Case Number: 1963-999
    NamUs Case Number: MP #10968
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
    Information Source(s)

NAMUS
    NAMPN
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3394dfoh.html[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Elainera and StarrChance like this.

2. ashyboy16

ashyboy16 Member

This is my hometown she went missing from. There are tons of stories and rumors about her disappearance that have gone around since she disappeared, but nothing that can be found on paper. I know what the locals have said they heard, but it's only hearsay.
    Her family does not want her disappearance discussed and once yelled at me in a local facebook group for bringing her up, even though I only brought her up to let it be known she wasn't forgotten and indeed, she wasn't. Many people she had gone to school with, or who grew up near her missed her and told stories in that facebook posts' comments before it eventually went quiet.
    I could say what rumors and such I've heard, but I want to stress they are only that.

3. Ozoner

Ozoner Well-Known Member

If her family doesn't want her brought up, that makes me wonder whether family members were involved in her disappearance. I'm glad you've continued to pursue the case instead of ignoring it.

ETA: Her Charley Project page has an additional photo.
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/britton_linda.html

StarrChance and steff13 like this.
  4. ashyboy16

ashyboy16 Member

If I'm remembering right, it was a younger sibling of hers who told me that the memory of her older sister was too painful on her elderly parents, who were still alive at the time I posted about Linda (not too sure right now, I don't really know many people in Cambridge even though I grew up here because I never felt much of a connection to the place), and that was why they'd prefer if people never brought her up at all instead since "we had no permission to do so". I wasn't too sure what to think of that, I was 19 at the time I brought her up, and while I can understand grief...the way I was talked to rubbed off on me the wrong way. If they wanted to forget about her being gone, then why is she listed on the Ohio Attorney General's website and on NAMus?

But, I'm trying not to judge too harshly, they're from a different generation compared to me and like I said, people grieve differently.

I hope one day that they figure out what happened, or at the very least, they get to see her again when their time comes, and that they at least know that while we don't know much about her or what happened to her, she is far from forgotten.

5. ashyboy16

ashyboy16 Member

6. Jim_M

Jim_M Well-Known Member

Someone submitted DNA.

From the NAMUS entry: Status: Sample submitted - Tests complete

I wonder if it was Linda's sister?

It would be nice to bring Linda home, to her remaining family.

PayrollNerd, Elainera and StarrChance like this.
  7. Savemecastiel

Savemecastiel Well-Known Member

Bumping.

StarrChance and Jim_M like this.
  8. Richard

Richard Well-Known Member

9. FOXINBOX

FOXINBOX New Member

Are you able to say if Linda on foot or driving when she disappeared?

10. FOXINBOX

FOXINBOX New Member

11. JSolt1210

JSolt1210 Well-Known Member

12. MadMcGoo

MadMcGoo Well-Known Member

A few more photos and articles... interesting that another teen girl disappeared a few days before Linda. I haven’t been able to check and see if she is still missing.

C7A504AA-DCEE-4B40-8564-E1911031C543.jpeg
    1960 Cambridge High School
    DABC75F0-F692-4578-A6B7-90BF156FB7B0.jpeg
    1961 Cambridge High School

2F6FDFDC-2A72-4504-A64D-16BE1C5B085E.jpeg
    The Newark Advocate” 17 June 1963
    Lawmen Seek Missing Girl
    Licking County lawmen have been asked to join the search for an 18-year-old Cambridge girl missing from home nearly a week.
    Linda Britton, daughter of Mrs. Clarence Britton and granddaughter of W.S. Britton, 56 1/2 S. 2nd St., Newark, left home at 419 Taylor Ave., Cambridge, at 8:30 p.m. Tuesday to mail a letter.
    Mrs. Britton told police that Linda had planned to mail the letter, then return home to pick up some clothes before going to spend the night with a friend in Cambridge.
    “Linda was never one to stay away from home very long without telling me where she was, and knowing she didn’t like to be alone on the streets at night , I felt she was in trouble,” Mrs. Britton told police.
    Miss Britton, who was wearing glasses, orange slacks and a white jacket, was last seen in Cambridge about 10:30 p.m. Tuesday. She was described as being five feet , one inch tall, weighing about 98 pounds, with brown eyes and hair.
    Two other relatives live in Licking County, Mrs. Richard Cocanour, 845 Colonial Dr., Heath is an aunt, and Mrs. John Markham of 937 Fieldson Dr., Heath is a cousin.

D9C8F0DC-19DD-42CD-9616-7EF22B31E9D5.jpeg
    7AF4E816-6595-4D5F-8F7F-32E0B44D9C18.jpeg
    The Times Recorder” 18 June 1963 (1&2)
    Cambridge Girl Reported Missing
    CAMBRIDGE— Police are investigating the possibility of foul play in the mysterious disappearance of Linda Britton, 18, a recent graduate of Cambridge High School.
    The girl has been missing since last Tuesday and police have been unable to obtain any information about her whereabouts. Officers said last night there is no definite information which leads them to suspect foul play but that the possibility is being checked.
    Police said former boy friends in Akron, Cleveland and elsewhere have been checked out but they could supply no information.
    The girl left home without a purse or money to mail a letter. Investigators said the letter was to a boy friend, John Gibbons, who recently moved from Cambridge to Twinsburg. He received the letter.
    Police said the girl probably would not have left home willfully. She was described as 5 feet 1, and about 98 pounds. She was last seen wearing a white jacket and orange slacks. She has brown hair, brown eyes and wears pink rimmed glasses.

5C848A54-4821-4A93-B339-0E3D79EF7BA8.jpeg
    The Times Recorder” 21 June 1963

Mother, 40, Of Missing Girl Dies
    CAMBRIDGE— Police turned their sights towards California in their search for 17-year-old Carole Barlow whose mother, Mrs. Carl Barlow, 40, died late Thursday afternoon in Zanesville’s Good Samaritan Hospital.
    A police spokesman and the Cambridge department has sent a message to California authorities to be on the lookout for the girl who has been missing since June 8. Cambridge authorities said the search turned to California when it was determined that the boy Miss Barlow was to meet has relatives in that state.
    Area authorities are also continuing their widespread search for Miss Linda Britton, 18, of Cambridge who has been missing since June 11.
    (Snipped by me)

Elainera, StarrChance, Jim_M and 2 others like this.
  13. PayrollNerd

PayrollNerd Well-Known Member

Missing please find us Facebook post 4/7/2016. People who remembered this commented.

Missing - Please Find Us
    LINDA KAY BRITTON MISSING FROM CAMBRIDGE, OHIO SINCE 1963

Linda left home to mail a letter and never returned. Probable kidnapping.

14. PayrollNerd

These two girls are similar in appearance if the perp had a “type” he focused on.

15. JSolt1210

Thank you for finding and posting these articles! They help confirm that Linda was last reported seen on Tuesday, June 11, 1963, and not in July, as the Doe Network and this thread state. Is it possible to change the date up top?

16. PayrollNerd

Click on Report on your post and add a note asking a moderator to update the title for you.
    upload_2019-11-3_8-30-51.png

17. JSolt1210

Thank you! I just did that. :)

18. SAMS

SAMS TC Writer

So Carole went missing from Cambridge too? Within a few days from each other? Did LE ever put the two incidences together? Does Carole have a thread and what were the circumstances she went missing under, besides some guy she was supposed to meet having family in Cali? (Eye roll inserted here) Who was this guy and was he ever questioned/investigated? MOO

19. MadMcGoo

MadMcGoo Well-Known Member

No problem! good catch! I hadn’t even realized the date was wrong. I was so focused on the date her and Carole went missing!

Yah, seems as though she went missing from same town and same week as Linda! I didn’t look for a thread on Carole but I did do a quick search and found nothing! So, I’m not sure if she is still missing or not. Surely someone thought the two girls disappearing like this was a little...not right? Unless someone knew they might be together or their cases were related somehow. JMO, but I’m going to keep searching for anything about Carole and create a thread for her if needed. This one’s a brain scratcher for sure!

Elainera, Jim_M and StarrChance like this.
  20. StarrChance

StarrChance Well-Known Member

Found Carol in her fathers obituary, Carol Celia Howell being her married name. Everything matches up with other information I found, seems “Carole” is incorrect spelling. Also found she has lived in PA and Florida, born in 1946.

1997 The Times Zanesville, Ohio

upload_2019-11-4_9-36-7.jpeg