OH OH - Lucas Co., BlkMale UP4728, 30-50, on Lake Erie shore, Nov'05

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by CarlK90245, Apr 22, 2013.

1. CarlK90245

CarlK90245 UID Moderator Staff Member Moderator

NamUs UP 4728 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/4728

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. hannah1988

hannah1988 New Member

I literally got chills when I found Donald Harrigan on NAMUS:
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/5662/23/

He closely resembles the sketch. In both the sketch and in his photo, the right eye is higher and closer to the eyebrow than the left eye! He's been known to travel to various places, and he has a fractured collarbone. He's also not on the NamUS rule out list.

Question though, DNA is entered for both the UID and Donald Harrigan, so should NamUS have already checked for this match? If so, why isn't it on the rule out list? I'm new to sleuthing, so I'm not sure how this works!

4. CarlK90245

CarlK90245 UID Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That is a good resemblance.

But the UID has a prior fracture of the shoulder blade (i.e., scapula), but no mention of a prior injury to the collarbone (i.e., clavicle).

5. hannah1988

hannah1988 New Member

Good catch! I must have read it too quickly. I wonder if his family could have remembered the injury wrong. Shoulderblade and collarbone seem pretty similar. At least they were similar enough that I got them confused! :blushing:

6. tamar

tamar New Member

That is a very close resemblance, Hannah. Perhaps you should submit the possible match anyway, as there is always the possibility of human error on behalf of the family member/friend who reported Mr. Harrigan missing. Misidentified injury-- the all too common mistake of mixing up clavicle & scapula. p.s. Three quarters of scapula breaks are due to high speed car crashes and Mr. Harrigan did receive injuries in a car wreck.

7. hannah1988

hannah1988 New Member

Thanks! I agree and did call it in. It sounds like they'll follow up on it soon. I'll let you know when I hear something back.

8. webrocket

webrocket New Member

I'm not concerned about the injury, not all family members know the entire medical history of other adults.

what concerns me is that the Doe was estimated to be between 5'3" and 5'8" and Harrigan was 6'1".

9. hannah1988

hannah1988 New Member

I noticed that too! A pretty big difference - but maybe an error somewhere?!?

10. Irish_Eyes

Irish_Eyes Active Member

Harrigan is not yet on the rule out list, though there are 28 ruleouts.

Bringing Jerry Hawkins into the mix here.

[​IMG]

http://www.blackandmissinginc.com/cdad/index.cfm?MissingInfoID=306

Negatives - like Harrigan, he's 6'0 tall. (I'm more open to look outside of height guesstimates based on partial remains for a number of reasons.)

Also, he went missing in October of '03, whereas the remains were found in November '05 and estimate DOD was "at least a couple months". But, again, after the Ronnie Gibbons case where his remains were found in '99 and estimated DOD was in '98 and Ronnie was killed in 1995, a three year difference, I made a mental note to question time frames of remains found in the Great Lakes. Just not sure how well they are able to take into account things like algae blooms and freeze/thaw cycles and the effects if any on decomposition, bone bleaching, etc.

As for the positives:

He's the right gender/race/age. He was about 41 when he went missing.

He makes sense geographically. He was last seen in Highland Park, MI, which is only an hour from Toledo and is also near the Detroit River which dumps into the lake.

He was wearing blue jogging pants when last seen

He has a scar on his shin which could perhaps line up with the possible injury to the leg of the UID.

Thoughts?

11. MizKim

MizKim Member

Irish Eyes

I see a gross resemblance to Jerry Hawkins also. I wish he was looking straight into the camera.

Here's a side by side

john1.jpg jhawkins.jpg

With that said some of the reconstructions and their ultimate identifications have made me question my eyesight. :waitasec:

12. MizKim

MizKim Member

Was any one going to call in Jerry Hawkins?

13. Irish_Eyes

Irish_Eyes Active Member

Sorry MizKim, I've been a little busy, so I haven't called it in. I'll try and shoot them an e-mail tomorrow and I'll let you know.