OH - Ohio State University Rampage, 28 November 2016

Discussion in 'Rampage Killings and Terrorist Attacks' started by Joe Friday, Nov 28, 2016.

1. bluesneakers

bluesneakers not today satan

It was first reported as a shooter on campus. Senator Kaine tweeted in response to that. He later tweeted a corrected version. He wasn't incorrectly trying to portray this as gun violence, and he sure as heck wasn't suggesting the officer resorted to "gun violence."

2. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

Statistics can be tweaked to make it look however one wants it to look. Like that graph. It does not use the actual number of victims, but uses the number of attacks. Therefore 9/11 and the nearly 3000 dead souls are counted as ONE incident.

Also, it counts events since 1970. Yes, there were a ton of radical terrorists back in the day. But maybe we should count ACTUAL dead bodies since the year 2000, and see what those statistics say.

And that map with the red dots for Radical Muslim attacks dos not look accurate at all. I know of way more events than they have showing up on that map. I do not believe it is correct.

3. CARIIS

CARIIS Spelling Bee Winner - Kindergarden!

Elliot Rogers parents tried to get him help

Adam Lanza mom tried to get him help

James Holmes mom tired to get him help

Was the kid in Townsville mentally ill? by all accounts yes

Austin H parents ought to have tried to get him help

Was the guy with the vapor gun mentally ill yes

Was Omar mentally ill - three days after his wife went on global news and reported he was bipolar.

Not sure which one this one was the guy that was in the barbor shop going all tangential on them

Was congress woman killer mentally ill yes?

Was the guy that did Rebecca mentally ill yes

Was the Canadian guy that went after cops mentally ill yes

Was Columbine harris on psyc meds yes

Did the mom of the guy who killed the cop in the last week describe her child as suffering with mental illiness - yes.

Was the guy who did the airport deal two weeks ago suffering with depression - yep he blew his brains all around his truck

Does the Cascade Mall guy have history of mental illness yes

Was German airlines pilot suffering with mental illness yes

I could go and on

Suicide in and of itself is mental illness.

The problem IMO is that in America the mindset is using the insanity defense as an excuse.

It is not an excuse - it is a reason- the notion of insanity is from the 1950's - we knew much less about mental illness then

Suicide by cop is mental illness, just changing MO.

Are most mentally ill people violent, from experience no.

Does that translate to mental illness is not behind a lot of the stuff that has happened the last 5 years - mo no.

Does this translate to mentally ill are gonna become mass shooters, it is IMO if you have eggs, you can probably make an omelette

4. LietKynes

LietKynes "Law is the ultimate science."- Liet Kynes

SABBM Snipped for brevity

Maybe some of both ?

Trying to play the devils' advocate here -- Without a true understanding of radical islam... if I had a plan to arm suicide bombers or someone to carry out a lone wolf attack ; I'd pick the poorest people from the most impoverished country to fulfill the dark deed. Probably a younger person who could be easily swayed. But certainly a person who had (almost) no hope. I'd fill them with grand delusions of a bright future in the afterlife--replete with the honor and riches they never had on this earth.

This perp who carried out a heinous act today doesn't fit that profile. He was attending a university. I'm not sure on whose dime.
    He had a future that was brighter than some who cannot afford higher education.
    But something influenced him enough to throw it all away. Influence being the key word here.
    As always, my .02.

It'll be interesting to see what sites he spent the most time on.
    He was pretty vocal about his 'fellow muslims' being mistreated -- and thus why he felt the need to carry out this atrocity.
    The "Daily Wail" claims Artan said he was (paraphrased) "... sick ....of seeing my fellow muslim brothers being killed and tortured..." Where ?
    HERE , in the U.S. ? If that was happening all over the U.S., it would be front page news. And we DO jail people for such offenses.

So, was Artan watching videos from other countries where there is sometimes no protection at all ? And he became enraged and planned to die , but take as many as possible as he could ?
    He had to have known it would most likely be his last day on earth.

I'm betting there are some muslims who would vehemently disagree with his way of thinking !

5. bluesneakers

bluesneakers not today satan

I thought everyone knew this. And I don't understand why this is so hard for people to see. JMO but it's right in front of us and if we want to stop these killings we need to face what's really going on.

Who commits mass shootings?

Of course another trait most mass shooters and killers have in common is they are men. Something else we (not we on WS so much as we as a society) need to discuss.

6. CARIIS

Is it ok to link the post I would love to read it, but SM rules are confusing to me !!!

I would run. I would hide. I would not fight !!! Funny

I love my Carol she looks bad today but she is soooo good as a journalist imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtbuEyPBVgQ

she asks good questions, she has feeling while at the same time she aint putting up (politics) with any stuff!

She is empathetic when the story calls for

follow her tone of voice

she was on when breaking after the interview with the kid across the street you have a story cause of her questions just lov her

mommy issues maybe!!

her questions are conversational- like at a dinner table

tone of voice

she is authentic IMO

7. Dogface

Dogface Well-Known Member

To me that stat is to be expected, in fact, looking at it that way each race seems proportionate to their races percent of population. What I find interesting is that males in each demographic commit so much more of the crime.

8. CARIIS

Its so sad generation before me doging nuclear warheads, me fire drills loved em got to act out and did not have to worry about the value of X ( who cares!)

now they are barricading them selves, seeing hearing people bleed out its all so sad really

9. K_Z

K_Z Verified Anesthetist

The incidence of male violent crime drops off precipitously after age 45. Coincidentally, that is when testosterone drops significantly (that's a correlation, not causation, btw). There is loads of research on violent crime related to age.

A good friend is the chief psychologist for a large prison, and we have discussed this many times over dinner, etc. In fact, when an inmate applies for parole, one of the factors that is considered is the age of the inmate, and his history of violence both inside, and outside prison.

10. CARIIS

Really raw video

[video=youtube;TulmTa5qb-M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TulmTa5qb-M[/video]

not graphic but gives a true sense

11. CARIIS

OK media monitors scanners, why was this not part of the story for hours
    I am not a conspiracy nutball but there was something weird about today and coverage - in terms of no car being reported for hours

[video=youtube;LGwWuHJkFJM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGwWuHJkFJM[/video]

12. CARIIS

Dotr

Vigil about to begin at Ohio State University following earlier incident that injured several people - @JSchmidtTV

[h=2]Police official at Ohio State says cameras show suspect in university attack was alone in his vehicle before the incident

Victims of Ohio State attacks were 1 faculty member, 3 graduate students, 3 undergraduate students - Enquirer

[/h]

what is your take?? TY

13. Dogface

Good point. I definitely see how testosterone makes for the difference in violent crime. Then, the million dollar question is, what separates a violent person from a mass attacker. Is it the simmering over slights, real or imagined? In someone with a radicalized viewpoint someone angry, but vulnerable, and a puppet to someone who has a Tony Robbins like pitch to sell to them?

14. Dogface

At 6:07 they run a cars plates, but it wasn't registered to the attacker. And I'm not even sure what the context was(I.e. If that was a random car, or something else) and I can't listen to the whole thing right now. But it's interesting.

15. CARIIS

I did not see this one

[video=youtube;-C0E2tKtTA4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C0E2tKtTA4[/video]

The florine call was cleared and then this happened

Attacker's purported Facebook page had grievances about attacks on Muslims

ah ha you guys may be right, I am waiting for purported to be changed !!

he was "sick and tired" of seeing fellow Muslims "killed and tortured," according to federal law enforcement officials.

Investigators are examining Abdul Razak Ali Artan's Facebook page to determine whether the attack was terrorism, though law enforcement officials said it will take time to ascertain motive.

In a Facebook post shortly before the Monday morning rampage, the Somali immigrant urged America "to stop interfering with other countries, especially the Muslim Ummah," a term for Muslim people at large.

"By Allah, we will not let you sleep unless you give peace to the Muslims. You will not celebrate or enjoy any holiday."

"I can't take it anymore," he said in the post.

that is potent "holiday "

cautioned against jumping to conclusions when asked if the incident was terror-related

We don't know anything that would link this to any community. We certainly don't have any evidence that would say that's the case," Drake said.
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/28/us/ohio-state-university-active-shooter/index.html

16. AmyPond

AmyPond Well-Known Member

I am having a hard time with the way the above post in formatted. Can anyone help me out with what mass shooting took place in the Omaha, NE area in 2015? I can't remember one so I am not really understanding that map.

There is video of the assailant on campus? I haven't seen that. Link?

17. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/2015-the-year-in-mass-shootings-20151203

18. HMSHood

HMSHood Admiral-Class Battlecruiser

I do not think mental illness is a factor here. Granted some of them did, but I doubt it had anything to do with it. Elliot Rodger, Adam Lanza, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, and Seung-Hui Cho are injustice collectors. They are resentful at society. It is not just spree killers who are injustice collectors. Many terrorists are injustice collectors like Osama bin Laden, Mohamed Atta, Omar Mateen, and Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. There are even serial killers who would be considered injustice collectors like Aileen Wuornos, Richard Ramirez, Todd Kohlhepp, and Dean Corll. There are even female murderers who are injustice collectors like Jodi Arias, Betty Broderick, Gertrude Baniszewski, and Lori Drew.

The Dangerous Injustice Collector: Behaviors of Someone Who Never Forgets, Never Forgives, Never Lets Go, and Strikes Back!
    http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/pdf/10.1089/vio.2014.1509

Injustice Collector
    http://www.psybersquare.com/family/family_injustice.html

Identifying The Next Mass Murderer—Before It’s Too Late
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...ntifying-the-next-mass-murderer-it-s-too-late

On Wound Collectors
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/spycatcher/201509/wound-collectors

19. human

human Well-Known Member

Yup. And I bet they all have stories of abuse or something really dysfunctional in the family. We pretend with kids that they can handle anything. That is not true.

We need to start addressing emotional needs . Men take it out on others ( generally speaking) and women internalize with cutting or severely overeating or anorexia. What else?

Anyway, we have to stop with the boys don't cry business and address that kids are traumatized by many things, I bet that would go a long ways to solving so many problems.

20. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native

Hi Cariis, odd that you're having trouble accessing it. Works fine for me.

Trigger, thanks for transcribing. It makes the confusion (which is natural in such circumstances) so apparent.